• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Not a RedFox Issue PC locks up during ripping, will this affect ripping process?

Gilmore21

I've been ripping some dvd boxsets and occasionally when ripping the discs I've been using the pc for browsing the Internet whilst waiting for the discs to rip. Sometimes when I do this the pc locks/freezes, the lights of the external writers stop flashing and after around 10 seconds start back up again carrying on with the rip. The rip completes successfully but I was just wondering if this could cause a problem with the rip? I've had this happen a few times where the pc locks up. I'm running an i9 12900k with 32gb of ram and only use 2 nvme drives so I'm sure the pc shouldn't be freezing at points where the pc is used a little more than it should.

Something similar happens on my laptop, but it is a 10 year old device and I am not sure if it's the SSD or maybe the Windows installation. I want to replace/switch the SSD or make a clean installation again. But it should be the SSD because I think it didn't happen when I set it to an external storage.

Could you open Task Manager during a rip and check the writing speed of the SSD. Does it go to 100% the moment your PC locks up?

If you want to know, use DVDShrink or CloneDVD to load the VIDEO_TS, inferring you're ripping to disk instead of ISO, and see if both programs finish loading the VIDEO_TS. If they do, you're pretty much okay, but you can write out new output with either program for more assurance. DVDShrink even has a video preview function while it writes output; don't know about CloneDVD.

I've attached a few examples of how to preview your DVD using CloneDVD2.

How to Preview your DVD using CloneDVD2.jpgCloneDVD2_Preview_setting.jpgA side note: you can also use CloneDVD2 to make an ISO file of your DVD, and then use Virtual CloneDrive from elby to mount a ISO file of your DVD, and then go back to CloneDVD2 to preview your DVD. CloneDVD2 also has a 21 day trial period.CloneDVD2_Preview_setting-1.jpg

Don't know about CloneDVD, but if you did rip to ISO in AnD, DVDShrink has the ability to open DVD Video ISO files directly.

Don't know about CloneDVD, but if you did rip to ISO in AnD, DVDShrink has the ability to open DVD Video ISO files directly.
Ripping to files/folders is a "better" method to process DVDs with the AnyDVD built-in ripper, Images are for Blu-rays. Ripping a DVD to image is not recommended.

At least that was Dev advice a while back.

And, yes, DVD Shrink can process files/folders just as easily as images. Some times when ripping DVDs I rip to files/folders using AnyDVD and then process that output with DVD Shrink to create an ISO or files/folders again to be burnt by ImgBurn.

Actually I use VobBlanker on the files/folder output from AnyDVD to remove unwanted content that CloneDVD can't touch (menu stuff) and slap the VB output into DVD Shrink.

I also use a "hacked" version of DVD Shrink that allows burning with ImgBurn, replacing the option to burn with Nero. Nero is so 20th Century.

(Ignore the plugs for "The Monkey, there are now better ways to back up Blurays with Elby's CloneBD)

If shrinking the size of a DVD is something you want CloneDVD can do that, but from my experience DVD Shrink can do it better.

Last edited:
Yes, I only mentioned ISO's because I was uncertain how the OP extracted their content. I took into account they might have done ISO instead of Rip to disk. I learned what you said the hard way. :) Now, I always extract to folder.

Back