• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Oppo BDP-83/BDP-831/BDP-83SE discussion

James

Redfox Development Team
Staff member
My Oppo BDP-83 will arrive on Saturday, June 27th if Fedex doesn't manage to monumentally screw me over like they regularly do. Their incompetence is rivaled only by DHL. I was one of the people on the Priority Ordering List so I got to order it early. I've been sitting on my invitation since late May and finally pulled the trigger this past weekend.

OT:
We all expect a full test review as soon as you get it...:D

OT:
We all expect a full test review as soon as you get it...:D

If it arrives on time I won't be able to test it until next week. I'll be away part of the weekend. I'll set it up and test next week.

I may just give utterly disgustingly gushy reviews for no other reason than to make Webslinger cry like a little girl. :D

You guys will hear all about it when I do my testing. :)

If it arrives on time I won't be able to test it until next week. I'll be away part of the weekend. I'll set it up and test next week.

Slacker! :D

I may just give utterly disgustingly gushy reviews for no other reason than to make Webslinger cry like a little girl.

I've been in a fetal position rocking back and forth and sucking my thumb ever since you told me you ordered one. ;)

And from the Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity Review (click the link) . . .

"In a system with HDMI connections, the OPPO BDP-83 is an extremely desirable player to have because it's a fantastic Blu-ray player with a beautiful picture and speedy operation. Standard DVD processing is top notch as well, and the player features high quality audio output for all the latest HI Def sound codecs as well as additional media types such as DVD-Audio and SACD in both bitstream and PCM output. Because the BDP-83's component video connections don't take advantage of the ABT2010 processor, the performance is not near as good and doesn't get quite the recommendation for systems limited to analog video connections. However, with the BDP-83's HDMI capabilities, its performance on the bench, the exceptional build quality, their continued support to their product line, and the inclusion of features such as BD-Live and additional media playback, OPPO has an out-of-the-ballpark grand slam home run. Highly Recommended."

Last edited:
If Oppo could finally add an option for 24fps playback of PAL DVDs (and some European BDs) with correct sound pitch via HDMI LPCM, ReClock could finally retire... ;)

Last edited:
The following output resolutions are available (this is taken from Oppo's manual):

NTSC output via HDMI:
Auto -->1080p(60Hz/24Hz) -->1080i 60Hz -->720p 60Hz
-->480p -->480i -->Source Direct

PAL output via HDMI:
Auto -->1080p(50Hz/24Hz) -->1080i 50Hz -->720p 50Hz
--> 576p --> 576i --> Source Direct

NTSC output via component:
1080p 60Hz* -->1080i 60Hz --> 720p 60Hz --> 480p --> 480i

PAL output via component:
1080p 50Hz* --> 1080i 50Hz --> 720p 50Hz --> 576p --> 576i

* When 1080p is selected for the component output, HDMI output resolution will be 1080p and component output resolution will be 1080i.

NOTE
• Some TV sets do not support one or more output resolutions (particularly 1080p). If an incompatible output resolution is selected, you will get a blank screen or an error message. In this case please select an output resolution that is supported by the TV.

• Video up-conversion over the component output is only available for unencrypted discs such as home video and consumer-created contents. Most commercially pressed DVD discs are CSS-encrypted and will be limited to 480i/480p resolution. This restriction applies to the component output only. The HDMI output is protected with HDCP and has no such restriction.

DVD 24p Conversion: To set 24Hz frame rate conversion for DVD. This option only applies to the HDMI output and is available only when 1080p24 Output is enabled (set to Auto or On). Many DVDs that originated from theatrical movies are encoded using a method called “3:2 telecine” to convert the 24 frames per second film to 60Hz video signal. The player can convert the 60Hz video signal back to 24 frames per second and output as 1080p 24Hz. Smoother motion can be achieved by enabling this option, provided that the TV and the disc both meet the conditions for the conversion. The available options are:
• On – Convert DVD to 24Hz frame rate when possible.
• Off – Do not convert DVD to 24Hz frame rate.

NOTE
The result of DVD 24p Conversion depends heavily on the quality of the content. If the video encoded on the DVD contains incorrect 3:2 cadence, cadence breaks caused by edits, or heavy compression noise that can affect cadence detection, the result may have motion judder or frame tearing. Should this happen, you need to turn off DVD 24p Conversion and
watch the DVD in its original frame rate.

/shrug

Last edited:
The player is now officially available for order (for Region A/1 customers):
http://oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BDP83

European customers should keep an eye on this site:
http://www.opposhop.com/

If I hadn't waited so long I've had it before this happened. As far as I know every Priority List unit had to be shipped before they would offer it to the public so that means all units have been shipped to those who had early access.

I'm still waiting on mine. FedEx let my unit sit in a warehouse for 14 hrs and lost a day in the arrival time as a result.

Hardware modded Region free units can be ordered here (from the U.K.), for a pretty penny:
http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk/region_free_bpd-83.htm

Hummmm . . ..

" Do It Yourself Region & Zone Kit

Important: Installing the hardware requires you to open your player and make changes. While no soldering is required, this operation should not be taken lightly. We cannot be held responsible for any damage caused to you or your player. Please select DIY only if you are completely comfortable with the internals of electronic equipment

Kit includes all required hardware and detailed instructions

£49.00 including VAT (£55.00 including VAT and UK mainland delivery) "

And they also have an option for you to send the player to them to get it hardware modded.

DVD 24p Conversion: To set 24Hz frame rate conversion for DVD. This option only applies to the HDMI output and is available only when 1080p24 Output is enabled (set to Auto or On). Many DVDs that originated from theatrical movies are encoded using a method called “3:2 telecine” to convert the 24 frames per second film to 60Hz video signal. The player can convert the 60Hz video signal back to 24 frames per second and output as 1080p 24Hz. Smoother motion can be achieved by enabling this option, provided that the TV and the disc both meet the conditions for the conversion. The available options are:
• On – Convert DVD to 24Hz frame rate when possible.
• Off – Do not convert DVD to 24Hz frame rate.

NOTE
The result of DVD 24p Conversion depends heavily on the quality of the content. If the video encoded on the DVD contains incorrect 3:2 cadence, cadence breaks caused by edits, or heavy compression noise that can affect cadence detection, the result may have motion judder or frame tearing. Should this happen, you need to turn off DVD 24p Conversion and
watch the DVD in its original frame rate.

James is right. I just reread what I quoted from the Oppo manual. 24Hz will not work with PAL dvds on the BDP-83, since 1080p24, as it is implemented in the Oppo BDP-83 for dvds, is a result of 3:2 pulldown detection, and that's found only on NTSC dvds. Oh well, that's not a huge deal for me, but it might be for some of you. The reason this isn't much of a deal killer for me is that I find there are so many bugs involved with dvd deinterlacing (and upconversion, if you can find it) software playback anyway (can't pass many benchmarking tests properly). So, pick your poison . . .

Last edited:
Someone at the avsforum posted this:

bori said:
I just got a response from oppo regarding my Madagascar 2 blu ray. Here is there response.

We received the disc and verified that your disc was the cause of the errors. We tried the disc on several other players, including a new LG, and all of them had playback errors. We noticed that this disc showed major signs of disc vibration, which means that this pressing may have been mastered improperly or the inner ring is slightly small.

We sent you a replacement disc, the one we used in our office, yesterday. You should get it in a couple of days.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com

Wow, how often do you find customer service like that?

Edit: Also imagine how often this bad disc nonsense comes up in our forums, and, of course, people blame Anydvd for their defective discs.

Last edited:
New beta firmware available

visit http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/bdp-83-firmware-31-0620.aspx

Release date: June 26, 2009. This version is a public beta test version.
Category: Public Beta Release

Main Version: BDP83-31-0620
Loader Version: BE2403 85752403
Sub Version: MCU83-23-0513

Comparing to the latest official release version BDP83-22-0430, the major changes included in this version are:

1. Further improvement to DVD-Audio disc compatibility and navigation.
2. Fix for the issue of losing audio at certain DVD-Audio track/chapter transitions, such as "The Beatles – Love".
3. Additional on-screen audio information display for DVD-Audio: sample rate in addition to channels and format.
4. Support for viewing static pictures on DVD-Audio discs using the PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN remote control buttons.
5. Compatibility improvement for user-encoded DVD-Audio discs.
6. A two-tiered rotation speed control for DVD media: normal speed for DVD-Video/DVD-Audio and increased speed for AVCHD on DVD media. This change is to support the occasional peaks of bit rate required by the AVCHD programs.
7. Improved detection of 4:3 aspect ratio bonus material on Blu-ray Discs.
8. DVD subtitle quality improvement (sync subtitle to frame). Combing of film-based DVD subtitle should be eliminated.
9. Improved remote control response for SACD in fast forwarding or fast rewinding mode.
10. Support for bitstream output of HDCD
11. Adjustment to the sensitivity of the front panel EJECT and POWER buttons.
12. Improvement for handling chapter breaks on DVD. This revision passes the Microsoft WHQL DVD 3:2 Chapter PF False test.
13. Improvement for DVD navigation.
14. Fix for the issue of not able to set a manual IP address when the network cable is connected and there is no DHCP server on the network.
15. Fix for the issue of angle icon appearing when the setup menu option "Angle Mark" is set to off.
16. Fix for the issue of subwoofer trim setting not applied after power cycle.
17. Other general disc compatibility and performance improvements.

The USB (or cd) method must be used for updating this firmware.

Last edited:
Well, it arrived. Nice packing job on Oppo's part. You get pretty much everything you can ask for as far as cables, etc. It was in a nice soft canvas-like bag which was a bit on the snug side. I had to work to get it out. Setup was quick and I never read the manual. I popped in Transformers BD and it loaded the disc as quickly as a SD DVD in a standard DVD player, IMHO.

I won't have much change to fiddle around with things until next week.

As a heads up to people when updating the firmware I expected to be prompted to update and one simple update and it would be done. That isn't how it worked. I copied the files in the archive containing the firmware update to my USB stick and followed the directions posted on Oppo's site. What I discovered was the first firmware update was then followed by the player detecting an MCU firmware update and asking my permission which I gave, and then I was asked to upgrade the BD Loader firmware which I gave. The BD Loader update took the longest and the drive did make some noise. Do not freak out. Do not do anything other than reply to update the firmware. You know the process is over when you are told that the player will shutdown. After it shuts down then you can remove the USB stick.

Last edited:
I threw a 720p MKV recording of a TV show on my slow 8 GB memory stick and played it with the Oppo. Fast forwarding and rewinding was limited to 5x at most. Playback was smooth and clear.

I need to make it clear to everyone that at present I do not own an HDTV. I had the ability to purchase the Oppo BDP-83 before most people and I used that to my advantage because supplies may be limited and the price won't drop much if at all. Prices on LCD HDTVs will drop, however, and I'm only in need of a ~40" HDTV so I should find some great deals closer to the holidays this year. I'll likely be grabbinf a Samsung LCD HDTV.

My testing is done with the player down-converting to play on a 30-some inch old Sony WEGA TV. I don't have an external receiver and speakers nor am I interested in getting any anytime in the foreseeable future.

Picture quality via composite for a BD was good, as it should be, down-converted. Audio down-converted to 2 channels was also good. Maybe it was just psychological but I thought the audio sounded better down-converted than the original SD DVD release of Transformers.

The unit is solid and simple. It's elegant in its simplicity. It's all black with a small blue LED for the power button. A nice sized but not insane LED display on the front. You likely can adjust the brightness of the LED but the default setting is perfet, IMHO.

The disc tray is a bit flimsy but this, apparently, is not new with Oppo players. People should be careful when they have the disc tray open, anyway, so it's not like it should be made to withstand being hit by a hammer or anything.

At present I am extremely impressed with the unit and don't regret the cost. I was extremely surprised at how quickly Transformers loaded. I expected it to be decently fast but slower than it was. I won't be able to test BD-Live because I'm not setting up a wireless connection for it and I'm not even close to being able to hook it up to my cable connection. I have no interest in BD-Live.

Last edited:
There appears to be four places offering region- free hardware mods:

1. U.K. http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk/region_free_bpd-83.htm#Do It Yourself Region & Zone Kit
(already mentioned)

2. Singapore: SLT Technologies Pte Ltd

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=63192.165 (look at Darthfunk's posts)

Both of those places appear to be official Oppo distributors. Unfortunately, it looks like SLT will only sell their region free hardware modification if you buy the player directly from them. Looks like SLT's mod has an advantage in that you don't have to punch in crazy codes.

3. http://www.custom-ht.com/oppo.html (I don't know anything about this place)

4. There is another region-free do-it-yourself kit located at http://www.bluraychip.dk/index.php?lang=en
This one seems even easier to install (if that's possible).

Last edited:
Back