• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

One Dvd9 -> VOBs -> Two Dvd5s

SoonerLater

I had a dvd9 I needed to backup. CloneDVD2 said that burning what I wanted to one dvd5 would reduce quality to 53%, so I decided to copy the VOBs to my hard drive instead of letting CloneDVD2 burn me a disc. I was going to convert the VOBs to Divx 6 (and tried, but didn't like the result).

Q. -- How can I get CloneDVD2 to burn the VOBs I have into two DVD5 discs?

I know that if I wanted to start over from scratch, I could run CloneDVD2 once selecting half the chapters, then run it again selecting the other half, but what I'm asking is now that I have nothing but VOBs (without re-ripping the source), how can I get two 100% full quality DVD5 discs. I can re-rip the original. I just don't want to.

I know that if I wanted to start over from scratch, I could run CloneDVD2 once selecting half the chapters, then run it again selecting the other half

That's really what you should do. And I suspect you will have issues using Clonedvd otherwise.

i would burn the main movie to one disc,and all the other bits to another.
unless the main movie is well over 2 hours,splitting it over 2 discs seems a bit pointless.
but if you're ok with doing that,go for it :)

apologies if i misinterpreted your question SoonerLater.

Last edited:
The main movie was 2:18 all by itself.

I was just trying to avoid going back and re-ripping the original, but that's what I ended up doing. I don't mind 80% even 70% compression, but 50% seemed like too much.

Thanks for your help.

i feel the quality at 53% is nothing to worry about if that was just for the main movie.

i look at it like this:
imagine you are recording on a dvd recorder using a dvd5.
it has different recording quality settings (generally:HQ (1 hour),SP (2 hours/normal),LP (3 hours),EP (4 hours).
what i'm trying to say is this:
you can put a 2 hour movie onto a dvd5 in sp mode (or a 1 hour movie at HQ mode).
if this 2 hour movie was put onto a dvd9 disc in HQ mode,and you copied it to a dvd5,the compression would be 50%.
but that still means it'll be as good as SP mode.

i put saving private ryan (a 2 hour 45 minute film) onto a dvd5 disc.the quality was 45% which is worse than SP mode (2 hours onto a dvd5) but better than LP mode (3 hours onto a dvd5).it was still very watchable.

so when looking at compression %,think this:
how long is the main film?
is it on a dvd9 disc?

if it IS on a dvd9,then if the compression is 50% it'll be as good as SP mode.if it's 25% it'll be as good as LP mode (which isn't great,but is watchable).

Last edited:
Back