• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Odd "looking" burn jobs on BD-Rs

woecarlson

Hello all,

First of all, using AnyDVD HD for the ripping, Clown BD for the extraction of certain streams, often BD Rebuilder for the shrinking, and ultimately ImgBurn for the writing.

I've written a similar post on various forums in the past and received a couple of replies, but thought I'd try again in case there is any more information available these days - and if this is even anything I should be worried about. When burning BD-Rs, I seemingly have no errors..a spot check of the finished product on our BR player seems fine, the verification process of ImgBurn shows no issues...everything seems perfect - until I look at the back of the disc. Sometimes there will be just a line that goes around in a circle (like a "spacer" on a vinyl album) and other times there will be just clearly different shades of the dye (?) on various parts of the disc. I'll attach a pic that is probably hard to see, but if viewed at the right angle might show what I'm talking about. I've read that it is just buffer overruns and the BURN-proof working, but it just looks odd to me. Again, I can't prove that it's a "problem", but part of me just wants a cleaner looking burn. I do make sure no other programs/processes are running, and sometimes it seems that rebooting the machine often helps (but not always). One other concern I have is longevity of the burn, and if the different shades of writing indicate any weakness, etc.

Does this sound like anything to worry about at all?

Attachments

• bd-r.jpg
    bd-r.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 17
Sometimes I get discs that when burnt half of it is lighter than the other half. With these discs I've found that they don't always play back properly in some players but do in others. If I then make another copy of the same disc that then burns dark across the whole disc and that one then works in everything. I've found that making sure you don't burn the discs faster than their rated speed helps cut down on this and before anyone cuts in with the usual 'make sure you use a good brand of discs' I've had this with Verbatim, TDK, Sony and my usual PiData discs.

Looking thru my blank media collection, I see four different shades of purple dye. And, when finished burning another different shade of purple.

The ring on the disk, may be the un-burned portion of the disk.

Always use Imgburn for burning, it is designed to be burnproof, and burn at the maximum rate that brand of disk will allow.

As long as the disk plays properly you are good to go.

I have had cases where two Sony hardware players both BDP-S270 one with high usage and one with low usage, same firmware update, and the ONE new test disk will play on the low usage BDP-S270 and not play on the high usage BDP-S270. I can only assume the high usage player is worn out.
:agree:

AnyDVD HD (for riping)
BD info (to determine what I am going to do with the source disk)
Clown_BD BD Copier or DVD Shrink (to pre-view the movie only version I want to back-up)
Clown_BD (for back-up without compression and splitting by chapters)
TSmuxer (for splitting by blank disk size)
BD Rebuilder or BDtoAVCHD (for back-up with compression)
Imgburn (for ALL burning needs)

Last edited by a moderator:
The band I get on my discs is not unwritten areas, it's very obvious where the unwritten area is and as I fill the discs it wouldn't start halfway through it would just be a small area at the edge. Also Imgburn doesn't always burn at the rated speed of the disc, it picks up the speed the drive thinks it can burn those discs at. I have LG drives and they always try to burn the discs faster than the rated speed of the discs.

Adbear, that's exactly my concern...performance over the long haul and across different machines (assuming we have to ever replace the BR player). I agree that it's easy to tell burned from unburned...that's not the ring I'm referring to. It would intermittent rings within the burned area of the disc and different shades of "burned" dye. It just doesn't look right to me, and I've gone through several blank ones trying to isolate what causes it but there doesn't seem to be any predictable patterns. Seems like even within the 3 answers I've gotten here there is a range (being problematic in some machines to being normal)...still not sure if it's something I should be concerned with?

Adbear, what media has worked best for you? I seem to be having mostly good results with Optical Quantum from Amazon...aside from some bad packaging issues I haven't seen many issues yet. (unless this different shades of writing color IS an issue) :)

Imo I'd go for verbatim, that's the only brand i get. If i can't find it in my regular stop i go shop somewere else where they do have em in stock. I just don't get anything else. Never had a problem with discs that my LG drives burnt faster then the rated. Not even 5yrs down the road

I know exactly what the OP is talking about. I was using "the other software" to burn blu-ray discs and I kept getting different gradations of dye on the burnt areas of the disc and quickly discovered it was only these discs that exhibited playback issues no matter what BD player I used. It wasn't until I began burning BD-Rs with ImgBurn that this no longer plagued me and the burn was one complete shade or gradation of dye. Don't fool yourselves, people, this makes a BIG difference! By the way, I've been using Optical Quantum discs for over a year so I feel no need to waste my money on more expensive Verbatim discs.

Here's an illustration I made of the issue because a camera really couldn't effectively capture the gradations of the burned dye. Forgive me but I site "the other software" in this illustration.

Blu-rayDiscBottom-VSOvsImgBurn.jpg

The point is not to use the native burning engine to burn blu-ray backups. Use ImgBurn and you can't go wrong! :rock:

I've had the same kind of pattern using Imgburn, then put another disc in from the same spindle and burn the same image again and it looks normal

I'm with AdBear here...mine look just like those illustrations even using ImgBurn. In fact, that is the only burning tool I have used aside from using that "other" software referenced in the illustration simply as a comparison. Thus far, even when viewing the ones with the weird-looking seem to play just fine - I just get nervous that it doesn't look right.

I wonder if this is due to fluctuating burn speeds? I understand that even though you may select 4X, depending on your computer's processor and how many tasks you have running at the moment, it may not always burn at that target speed, especially with certain programs. I guess it also depends on how sensitive and finicky the blu-ray player you have is. It seems to me that PCs will have more reliable blu-ray lenses that can read even the worst discs whereas some standalone players aren't as forgiving.

But this is why I felt the need to beef up my own custom PC as every single disc I've burned with ImgBurn has a consistent shade without any gradations and plays beautifully in any player I put the disc in.

Last edited:
Back