• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Nullsoft's WINAMP 5.55 is the Cat's Meow!

Spirit Wolfe

I just updated to the newest version of Winamp 5.55 and I have to say that with the right codecs and various plug-ins installed this player, for the price, comes very, very close to put performing expensive players, such as Cyberlink's PowerDVD Player 9.

If you can do a little codec tweaking here and there (and I think most of us can :agree: ) why spend the money if you really don't have to on a higher-end software player.

I am still trying to figure out on how to get my DVD's to play on Winamp, but when I do you guys will be the first to know. :D

If you guys are looking for more free codecs and do not know what versions to install (and always wondering if you have the latest and greatest, installed)...look no further than the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. This company (I mean K-Lite) does not make or create the codec packs, but what they did was to create a smart installer package that checks your computer for broken codec already installed and sets-up and configures the latest codecs that the company gets from the manufactures of the various codecs.

There's reg fee of $19.95, if you want to go "Pro", IOW, release the "unlimited" ripping speed for your CDs but you don't have to, if you don't want to.

I have been using it since it came out in the late 90s and I like it a lot...

I just wanted to point out that when installing the burning/ripping portion of Winamp it does install a filter that has been known to cause problems under 64-bit Windows operating systems. The specific filter is PxHlpa64.sys. AnyDVD users should be aware of this and that that specific filter has been shown to be a headache for some people.

Refer to this thread: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=27763
Refer here for the bad filter list: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=15536

My goal in this posting is just to let people know.

Last edited:
I've just been looking into Winamp only for music playing, like in the 2.x old good times. Does this work with directshow, like you seem to imply with the K-lite thing? More specifically, would it work with ReClock?

... and now Winamp 5.551 is out. I believe it closes a security vulnerability in a portion of the program.

andy o said:
I've just been looking into Winamp only for music playing, like in the 2.x old good times. Does this work with directshow, like you seem to imply with the K-lite thing? More specifically, would it work with ReClock?

Yes, Winamp 5.55 will play all directshow audio and video files provided that:

A. You have DirectX9c and the latest Windows XP/ME/Vista Updates (Vista might require DX10, dunno I am not running Vista; running XPSP3 Pro) installed.

B. This is the most important step: Installing any and all codecs that you want Winamp to play. If a file can be played with DirectShow and DirectSound ... it can be played with Winamp (5.55) :agree:

C. You have your Winamp Input Preferences (Options -> Preferences -> Plug-Ins -> Input -> Nullsoft DirectShow Decoder v1.6 and set this .dll for any video file that you want Winamp to play.

I made it easier for myself and did a little research on the web and I opted to uninstall all of my single-installed codecs and opted to go with this Smart Installer all-in-one by K-Lite. The following quote sold me, and I was not disappointed. :disagree:

Here's a quote from codecguide.com said:
The K-Lite Codec Pack has a couple of major advantages compared to other codec packs:

• It is updated frequently. So it is always up-to-date with the newest and/or best components.
  • All components have been carefully selected for specific purposes. It is not just a random bunch of stuff thrown together.
  • It is very user-friendly and easy to use.
  • The installation is fully customizable, meaning that you are able to install just those components that you really want.
  • The customization abilities even go beyond the component level. Some components are able to handle multiple formats. You can specify exactly which components should handle which formats. The pack can thus be fully tweaked to your own specific needs and preferences.
  • Uninstallation removes everything that was installed by the pack. Including all registry keys.
  • It is extremely easy to make a fully customized unattended installation with the integrated wizard.
  • It does not contain any bad, buggy or unstable codecs.
  • It tries to avoid potential conflicts with other codecs installed on your computer. The installation is able to detect and remove over 100 different codec and filter packs.
  • The pack is able to detect broken codecs and filters on your system, and helps you to remove them.
  • It is a very complete package, containing everything you need to play your movies.
  • This pack has a huge user base. This means that problems are found and resolved quickly.
  • There are different variants of the pack. From very small to large.
  • The pack is suitable for both novice and expert users.
I opted to download and install the "Mega" installation package because I wanted to try to see what Winamp can do with the various file types that are out there. You do not have to use all of them. Like I said before...it is a 'SMART' installation package.

Once you get your codecs installed and registered with Winamp it is a good idea to Enable the Winamp Agent and to set the 'Maintain File Associations' tick-box.

Note: When setting the Nullsoft DirectShow Decoder v1.6 .dll Plug-in under Winamp to play MPEG-4 (.MP4, .M4V) video files make sure under the OTHER Winamp Plug-in (.dll), Nullsoft's MPEG-4 Audio Decoder (same screen; further down) you delete the .M4V file extension under it and only have it read for the audio file extension...the file extension .M4A; or their will be a conflict!

andy o said:
... More specifically, would it work with ReClock?

I have just gotten finished playing with the ReClock audio restabilizer program (both the beta (v1.7 beta4) and version 1.6. Unless I am doing something totally wrong then it seems to be seamlessly being integrated with Winamp and ALL of the installed codecs that the K-Lite Mega package installed for me (or rather I told it to install for me).

Question: When I ticked the box "Enable events notifications to VBS script when display mode is changing"to add the .VBS file to Windows; it gave me an error message...even after I re-booted; why, anybody know? I read ReClock's readme file that came with version 1.6 ( downloaded the v1.7 beta4, first and it had none and I had to download v1.6; they must have forgotten to ADD it :doh: ).

Unfortunately, I do not know much about the ins-and-outs of the finite features of all of the codecs that came with the K-Lite installer package.

All I know is what I told you above. I have played (or have tried to play) DVD files from both the actual DVD (retail version) and the same copy after AnyDVD got done ripping it to a DVD folder (of the same name); even though I had set the plug-in to accept .VOB files and the ffdshow to enable MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 codecs to the "enabled" (doesn't matter what filter I tried both outcomes were the same) position... It was better to convert the file to an AVI, MP4, FLV, etc. file rather than trying to play straight .VOB files with Winamp. According to the Winamp Forums it will probably be introduced within the next version release along with 24/32/48/96 -bit encoding as well; who knows...

I hope this helps. Good Luck! 8)

thanks, I'll check it out. Just need a music player, Winamp 3 turned me off with all the video nonsense. I guess they've gotten better at it?

I also use the K-Lite mega pack. I know some are anti-packs, but so far I've never had much trouble. You do need to know how to manage codecs though.

By the way, Reclock is at 1.8.3.9 now. You might wanna check it out, it's got very cool new features lately.

Last edited:
I have just gotten finished playing with the ReClock audio restabilizer program (both the beta (v1.7 beta4) and version 1.6. Unless I am doing something totally wrong then it seems to be seamlessly being integrated with Winamp and ALL of the installed codecs that the K-Lite Mega package installed for me (or rather I told it to install for me).
Any reason why you don't use this version?
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=19931

Question: When I ticked the box "Enable events notifications to VBS script when display mode is changing"to add the .VBS file to Windows; it gave me an error message...even after I re-booted; why, anybody know? I read ReClock's readme file that came with version 1.6 ( downloaded the v1.7 beta4, first and it had none and I had to download v1.6; they must have forgotten to ADD it :doh: ).
You really should ask here:
http://forum.slysoft.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85

There are some example .vbs scripts, too.

OK, I just tried it. It doesn't seem to work with Reclock. Reclock does appear to run when I play files registered with the directshow input plugin (I get the window asking if I want Reclock to run), but the taskbar icon doesn't appear, nor features like WASAPI are working. Furthermore, if you register FLAC to the directshow plugin (instead of the FLAC plugin), you don't get the progress bar working.

Anyone knows any directshow music player that works with Reclock? I have tried foobar2000 (nice, but no auto changing of number of channels), JRiver media center 13 (same), both with the WASAPI plugins (they don't work with Reclock). Also tried XMPlayer, and it's the same. And both in my 7.1 system put out the sides sound through the rear speakers, for 5.1 content, so I need something like Reclock.

For the moment I'm using MPC-HC, but its playlist options are horrible. Windows Media Player doesn't play nice with flac.

Player Ideas...

OK, I just tried it. It doesn't seem to work with Reclock. Reclock does appear to run when I play files registered with the directshow input plugin (I get the window asking if I want Reclock to run), but the taskbar icon doesn't appear, nor features like WASAPI are working. Furthermore, if you register FLAC to the directshow plugin (instead of the FLAC plugin), you don't get the progress bar working.

Anyone knows any directshow music player that works with Reclock? I have tried foobar2000 (nice, but no auto changing of number of channels), JRiver media center 13 (same), both with the WASAPI plugins (they don't work with Reclock). Also tried XMPlayer, and it's the same. And both in my 7.1 system put out the sides sound through the rear speakers, for 5.1 content, so I need something like Reclock.

For the moment I'm using MPC-http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/oem/cyberlink/powerdvd/9/enu/01-index.jsp HC, but its playlist options are horrible. Windows Media Player doesn't play nice with flac.

For the hell of it did you try the Music Player Classic that came with that K-Lite Mega Pack?

Also, you could try AVS4You.com's latest version of Media Player v3.1.1.169 works well as-an-all-in-one player. Don't know about HD or Blu-Ray, though...suspect might play the disc if the drive can read it! Furthermore, I do not know if ReClock will work with that player, either. :confused:

What about NERO 9? I have used its multimedia player and it also worked pretty well. :agree: It might even work with Reclock!

You mean Media Player Classic, right? That's what I referred to as MPC-HC. It's the main video player I use, but for music it's OK, but not exactly perfect. I'd like something simple yet with enough options, like foobar2000, or like what MPC-HC is for video. I'll check out the others. I'm not worried about bluray or HD-DVD, for the moment only PowerDVD and TMT can play them semi-reliably, so I'm sticking with those. Thanks.

Well, I downloaded and installed ReClock's latest release and it had popped-up with a window asking me how often I wanted to use ReClock with Winamp. So at least I now know that ReClock recognizes Winamp 5.55 and my Creative Labs Sound card. It never gave me an error message, besides what I read Was it supposed to give me any other sign or acknowledgment as to if it is working under Windows XPSP3?

You mean Media Player Classic, right? That's what I referred to as MPC-HC. It's the main video player I use, but for music it's OK, but not exactly perfect. I'd like something simple yet with enough options, like foobar2000, or like what MPC-HC is for video. I'll check out the others. I'm not worried about bluray or HD-DVD, for the moment only PowerDVD and TMT can play them semi-reliably, so I'm sticking with those. Thanks.

You could try Zoom player.

Well, I downloaded and installed ReClock's latest release and it had popped-up with a window asking me how often I wanted to use ReClock with Winamp. So at least I now know that ReClock recognizes Winamp 5.55 and my Creative Labs Sound card. It never gave me an error message, besides what I read Was it supposed to give me any other sign or acknowledgment as to if it is working under Windows XPSP3?

I also get that message when using the directshow plugin, but doesn't work. Anyway, I didn't know you had XP, WASAPI doesn't work with it, so never mind.

James, I did check out Zoom Player, but I couldn't find the standard (free) version (well, at least not a current one), and I didn't wanna shell out some more cash just to troubleshoot. Also, today I learned that the WASAPI exclusive trouble I'm having (auto channel matching doesn't work) is probably my system. I still don't know what could be wrong, but it's not the programs. If I could fix it, then foobar2000 would be perfect. It can even control volume in exclusive mode, so only one remote needed.

Back