• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

No DD+ audio with Dune HD Duo

Submarine

Well, after downloading all sorts of stuff with Anystream I loaded the HDD into my Dune HD Duo player and I've got a problem - None of the MP4's with DD+ EAC3 audio will play the audio, I DO get video playback fine however.

Traditional blu-ray ISO's on the same HDD are fine, MP4's with other audio formats play fine.

According to the manual, the Dune site, and reviews, the Dune player is DD+ compatible but with the files from Anysteam it actually does not even see that a valid audio file is present. Disclaimer: these are the first DD+ files I've thrown at it.

Checking the file with MediaInfo, the audio is present in the file, is indeed Dolby Digital Plus and the audio plays fine on my PC using VLC.

First time ever having a file compatibility issue with the Dune player and worth a post to see if anyone else has this player/problem or if the specs are just wrong.

The player and Anystream and all up to date.

Last edited:
To eliminate the possibility of container specific issues, try to remux one of the movies to MKV and see if that plays fine

Well, after downloading all sorts of stuff with Anystream I loaded the HDD into my Dune HD Duo player and I've got a problem - None of the MP4's with DD+ EAC3 audio will play the audio, I DO get video playback fine however.

Traditional blu-ray ISO's on the same HDD are fine, MP4's with other audio formats play fine.

According to the manual, the Dune site, and reviews, the Dune player is DD+ compatible but with the files from Anysteam it actually does not even see that a valid audio file is present. Disclaimer: these are the first DD+ files I've thrown at it.

Checking the file with MediaInfo, the audio is present in the file, is indeed Dolby Digital Plus and the audio plays fine on my PC using VLC.

First time ever having a file compatibility issue with the Dune player and worth a post to see if anyone else has this player/problem or if the specs are just wrong.

The player and Anystream and all up to date.

I don’t currently have a Dune player to test this out on, but I have had Dune’s in the past and there is an audio patch out there which I know gets lots of mentions.
Check this out, may be relevant…….. Comment after applying - “TrueHD and DD+“ now work
HD Audio patch" link in the thread:
https://dune-club.info/upload/3party/tv175h.htm

... to see if anyone else has this player/problem or if the specs are just wrong.

Long-time Dune user here; Can confirm that my Dune(s) (Max / Smart b1/h1) do not play DD+ tracks.
I have been de-muxing (with tsmuxer), converting the audio (with Eac3to) and re-muxing (with MkvToolnix)
to get a file that the dunes are happy with.

Blu-rays don't have DD+. I am afraid, the Dune player simply doesn't support DD+.

Blu-rays don't have DD+. I am afraid, the Dune player simply doesn't support DD+.
I think there are a handful of DD+ BDs out there. As it just bitstreams the audio, there shouldn’t be any problem. It might be an issue which is specific to the mp4 container.
Dune can sometimes a bit weird, so please install the audio patch mentioned above and see if that helps.

I think there are a handful of DD+ BDs out there.

Not sure I've ever seen one. They usually have DTS-HD MA with DTS core, LPCM, or TrueHD with AC3 compatibility track.
The ones you've seen with DD+ are probably encodes with one of the above codecs encoded to DD+

Interesting results after a remux to MKV and creating 4 audio options. 1. Auto passthru (leaves original audio as-is if I understand correctly), 2. E-AC3 Passthru (also leaves original audio as-is if I understand correctly), 3. AAC 5.1, and 4. AAC Stereo.

As an MKV, and the Dune set to bitstream, the Dune now sees all four of the audio options (it saw none initially with the MP4). However, I only get audio with the two AAC tracks. - My AVR (Marantz SR7010) is supposed to be able to handle DD+ so I'm at a loss there.

Interestingly, having the Dune set to decode to PCM, I get audio on all four options.

I'll try the patch suggested by whirlpool & Sledgehamma tonight and see. This also makes me want to finish the Oppo jailbreak and test the files on it.

Thanks for all the help so far.

I just wanted to chime in that this is a very interesting thread to watch. I've never heard of Dune's before and it was fun watching the discussion unfold.
Hopefully, this isn't too off topic but I was curious is the point of one of these devices to act as a home theater pc of sorts? An alternative to a plex server and streaming stick or is there more to it than that?

Interesting results after a remux to MKV and creating 4 audio options. 1. Auto passthru (leaves original audio as-is if I understand correctly), 2. E-AC3 Passthru (also leaves original audio as-is if I understand correctly), 3. AAC 5.1, and 4. AAC Stereo.

As an MKV, and the Dune set to bitstream, the Dune now sees all four of the audio options (it saw none initially with the MP4). However, I only get audio with the two AAC tracks. - My AVR (Marantz SR7010) is supposed to be able to handle DD+ so I'm at a loss there.

Interestingly, having the Dune set to decode to PCM, I get audio on all four options.

I'll try the patch suggested by whirlpool & Sledgehamma tonight and see. This also makes me want to finish the Oppo jailbreak and test the files on it.

Thanks for all the help so far.

The patch is intended to fix the issue of no audio with bitstream over HDMI.

I just wanted to chime in that this is a very interesting thread to watch. I've never heard of Dune's before and it was fun watching the discussion unfold.
Hopefully, this isn't too off topic but I was curious is the point of one of these devices to act as a home theater pc of sorts? An alternative to a plex server and streaming stick or is there more to it than that?
Yes, they are pretty much that. They play almost everything from a local USB drive or via network. The latest generation even has support for Dolby Vision :)
I did a review of the Pro 4K II here
Code:
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/review-dune-pro-4k-ii.3164510/
As well as the Zidoo Z9X
Code:
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/review-zidoo-z9x.3170473/

No luck with the patch. Multiple attempts from an HDD and USB all only result in "error"

I'm am curious about the current Dunes (i.e. Real Vision 4K) with the Realtek 1619DR and OS improvements as an upgrade to solve my audio discovery/limitation. The audio specification lists seem less complete now than even the page for my old Duo so I'd suppose upgrading is not the way vs just remuxing everything.

Thank you to all of those here who offered help!

Back