• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

New User - What Does AnyDVD Do?

natluc

Hi

Strange question, but what does AnyDVD do? I have it because I bought CloneDVD Mobile to get videos on my Ipod and you have to buy AnyDVD as well.
I've read about how AnyDVD removes copy protection and region protection, but does it do this to the actual DVD or do you need to copy the DVD first to have the protection removed? What protection is being removed?

If I have a region 2 DVD can I usel AnyDVD to remove the region protection and then use the actual DVD in my region 1 DVD players? Do I have to make a copy first for this to happen?

I have a PAL DVD from the UK that works fine when I watch it on my PC (I'm in Canada) but it will not work on any of my DVD players. Can I get AnyDVD to help with this?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Hi

Strange question, but what does AnyDVD do? I have it because I bought CloneDVD Mobile to get videos on my Ipod and you have to buy AnyDVD as well.
I've read about how AnyDVD removes copy protection and region protection, but does it do this to the actual DVD or do you need to copy the DVD first to have the protection removed? What protection is being removed?

AnyDVD removes the protections from the disc as you are accessing it. Your system seems the disc as unprotected but no physical change has been made to the actual disc.

If I have a region 2 DVD can I usel AnyDVD to remove the region protection and then use the actual DVD in my region 1 DVD players? Do I have to make a copy first for this to happen?

I have a PAL DVD from the UK that works fine when I watch it on my PC (I'm in Canada) but it will not work on any of my DVD players. Can I get AnyDVD to help with this?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Region 1 uses the NTSC format. Region 2 uses the PAL format. Apparently, your standalone DVD player cannot handle the PAL format. AnyDVD will remove protections and region coding but it will not convert NTSC to PAL or PAL to NTSC. You can either use other software to convert from one to the other or buy a DVD player that can handle both NTSC and PAL.

Refer to the links below for more information on the formats:

NTSC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ntsc
PAL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

Thanks
Why would a PAL disc play fine on my PC but not a DVD player. Are PC drives not hampered by the difference between PAL and NTSC?

Just to make sure I'm clear AnyDVD is removing protection from the existing DVD without having to make a copy?

Thanks
Why would a PAL disc play fine on my PC but not a DVD player. Are PC drives not hampered by the difference between PAL and NTSC?

Your software DVD player on your computer doesn't care about format like a standalone DVD player does. To answer your question, no, computers aren't hampered by the format problem like standalone DVD players.

This isn't a drive issue at all. There is hardware in your standalone player that decodes and deals with what is played. The hardware for decoding the PAL format video doesn't exist in many of the older standalone players in Region 1. As such they simply cannot play PAL format discs. A DVD drive in your computer doesn't care about that since it's the software DVD player that actually does the work and software players simply don't care.

Just to make sure I'm clear AnyDVD is removing protection from the existing DVD without having to make a copy?

The simple answer is, "Yes". The longer answer is that the disc itself is still protected just like it was when you bought it. Your computer, however, is not seeing a protected disc because AnyDVD has removed the protection so that the computer sees an unprotected disc. Nothing has been changed on the actual disc, however.

You are asking this because you want to use CloneDVD mobile, right? You could import the disc into CloneDVD mobile with AnyDVD running in the background. CloneDVD mobile will see an unprotected disc. Then you just do what you want with CloneDVD mobile. I prefer ripping the whole disc to my HDD first and then using CloneDVD mobile, personally. You can use the AnyDVD ripper via Rip Video DVD to Harddisk... or CloneDVD to rip the disc to your HDD first.

You definitely will need AnyDVD to remove the protections since CloneDVD mobile can't remove any protections and won't allow you to copy a protected disc.

I suggest installing the trial versions and experimenting for yourself to see if things work out the way you want. :) You have 21 days to check out the software.

Thanks again. I do own both AnyDVD and DVDMobile.
My apologies for all the questions but I have one more!
Does AnyDVD remove the region code from a DVD so that I can play the actual DVD (without making a copy) in any DVD player? (assuming it's an NTSC DVD)

The original DVD is not changed in any way, a backup made with CloneDVD is region free but your original is unmodified.

Does AnyDVD remove the region code from a DVD so that I can play the actual DVD (without making a copy) in any DVD player? (assuming it's an NTSC DVD)

No. Nothing can write to an original dvd.

Thanks again. I do own both AnyDVD and DVDMobile.
My apologies for all the questions but I have one more!

NO. Like he said above AnyDVD makes NO CHANGES to the origional DVD. It allows your computer to "see" the DVD as unprotected; allowing any type of copy software (like CloneDVD Mobile) to make a copy iether in a file format for PC / mobille player use - or hard copy DVD for use in a player.

AnyDVD is just the key that unlocks a disk (as seen by the PC) to allow it to be copied into whatever format you desire. AnyDVD is the big tool that allows all your other tools to work.
(and keeps a lot of the big tools running this board working hard too!)
(sorry guys, I just had to.) :D

Also, If you use the AnyDVD ripper to rip the entire DVD to your hard drive, you then have a totally unprotected "permanent" copy of the DVD in a folder on your hard drive; that you can watch with a software player, or convert to a mobile format, or burn to a blank DVD etc etc.

-W

Great answers guys.
I'm totally clear now on how it works. Thanks for taking the time to educate me!!

You're very welcome. That's why we're all here. :)

Speaking of educations.... I'd highly advise reading all the sticky threads for whatever products you finally buy. Most of the questions that come to mind are in there, as well as procedures on how to properly get help here.

EDIT: I'll add that AnyDVD is (dollar for dollar) the single best piece of software I ever paid for.
It works, it works well, and when the weasels at the studios come up with something evil to make it not work.... it's patched within the week usually, then it works.
Every single time they build a better mousetrap, Slysoft delivers a better mouse - every_single_time.
Sorry to sound like a commercial... I don't work for Slysoft and am an honest critic.

-W

Last edited:
Back