• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

New System Build

funreviews

Hope this is the right area. I'm in the process of buying hardware to build a new system (haven't had to upgrade my current one for about 10 years, I guess it's about time!)

My question is, assuming that I have fast DVD and Blu-Ray burners and they will always be a bottleneck, what is the most important component to speed up the ripping/burning process? CPU? Video card? Temporary location on hard disk during the process? Combination of a few of these?

I'm not sure what the process is with the software, I guess.

Any questions on what I was planning to get, what I've already purchased and what I'm going to re-use from my current system is welcomed if it'll help.

Thanks in advance!

If you can hold off for maybe another year, I'd do it. Current generation cpu's are all vulnerable to Spectre/meltdown leaks (AMD and Intel alike, alright they may be named differently for AMD). Unless I'm mistaking only the next generation of cpu's wouldn't be affected due to redesign.

There's really only 2 factors that affect ripping.

The speed the optical drive can read the discs at and feed it to the decryptor, and the speed the hard drive can write the date at (an SSD will be faster than an HDD) and the data connection used.

(M.2) PCI-E SSD > SATA SSD > SATA HDD

GPU doesn't come into play until recoding, and the CPU really isn't much involved at all.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Excellent. Thanks for the info! I work I.T., so the patching and BIOS updates aren't an issue for me. I'm not getting the latest/greatest hardware anyway, they are an older Gen CPU (2x Intel Xeon Gold 6136 ES QL29 2.4GHz 12C/24T) that would still have the issue. The Mobo is going to be SuperMicro and server-grade, so I'll have plenty of support for it regarding getting the patches up to date.

The first set of drives (8 SSD) will be configured in a RAID10 and will have two partitions: "System" and the remaining large partition for program installs and whatever else. I could always rip to SSD first and then copy the ISO to the 3.5" spinning drive array it'll have (for archive) after I have the copy to the optical media. The GTX1070 should speed up the recoding as it's fairly quick and what I plan on sticking into the new rig.

Thanks again!

Glad I could help. Knock yourself out on the build.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Back