• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

New protection

hoangh

FYI, I just encountered PROBLEM with a mini Korean drama serie.
The problem was after anydvd finished scanning the disc which took alot more times than ususal, I could not rip the disc contents using dvd shrink or imgburn. I looked at the written side of the disc and saw that at close to the center of it, there was a something look like the punched hole on it (This punched hole appeared on all 10 discs). At first, I though the discs were damaged and I went back to the store in order to replace them with another set. However, the store ownner told me after I showed him the punched hole that THIS IS THE NEW KIND OF PROTECTION THAT BEEN APPLIED FOR THE FIRST TIME).

There is a thread at the top of this board that says to read it before you post.

It has instructions for submitting an AnyDVD logfile.
Without a logfile there is no way to assist on this.

You can TRY using AnyDVD itself to rip this disk to folder too.

-W

I just uploaded the log file. Thanks

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.0.4.7_Info_G_NHAT NGUYET TINH SU DISC 01.zip
    86.4 KB · Views: 28
I also attached the picture of the dvd so you can see the punched hole I was talking about.

Attachments

• Punched hole.jpg
    Punched hole.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 95
Try using AnyDVD's 'rip video DVD to harddisk' option

Imgburn is NOT a software tool for ripping a source disk.

DVD Shrink it too outdated to do any current ripping, use AnyDVD HD for the rip, and then load the output into DVD Shrink for processing and transcoding, and then Imgburn for burning.

Last edited by a moderator:
a punched hole in a disc a new protection? Yeah right, and i'm santa. A damaged disc, that's what it is.

a punched hole in a disc a new protection? Yeah right, and i'm santa. A damaged disc, that's what it is.

Re-read his post, and stop being so confrontational. It's not user friendly, and not nice.

Well it was sarcasm :p, but still. Even if all 10 have this hole, seriously doubt manufacturers would put a physical defect i a discs let alone a whole set (& the matching batches). Looks like something was lying on the press when they made them discs. Oh and i wasnt being confrontational, i've always been quite frank. It's just who i am :p

That was rude. :eek:

We've bantered here before about the fact that a deliberately damaged disk would be one hell of a strange copy protection.
And the fact that all 10 disks of the set, have the exact same hole - kinda makes one wonder.

I note that it's a small outfit doing this little "experiment".

-W

Last edited:
IN Olden Days

Back in the days of vinyl records, those used in Juke Boxes or found to be bad in quality control would have a hole punched in the label to show they wer not quite up to snuff. I got some inexpensive Sheffield Labs LP's that way.

Well, that's quite strange. Never seen anything like this before. It really looks like a stain, as if somebody had damaged the disk intentionally.

By the way, what would be really interesting to me: Does it play properly on a standalone DVD Player ?? If so, then the disk doesn't seem to be physically damaged. If not, the whole set of disks could be a production error from the company.

I'm just wondering myself when or if this so-called "protection" will be released in Germany...

Greetings,

parad0x from Germany.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply since I just came back from work.
1) Yes all 10 disc have punched holes on them and they all played fine on stand alone dvd player (no hiccup whatsoever).
2) I tried to rip the dvd's using anydvd rip to img but it stopped at 1%.
, the same go for DVD Shrink, Nero Recode and Imgburn.
3) My sister in law bought the same title from a different store and her set has the same punched hole on all 10 discs like my set.
Based on these above , my conclusion is this is a new kind of protection.
By the way, these discs released by MBC America.

Hi all,
I just scanned the disc from my sister in law set. See photo.

Attachments

• Punched hole2.jpg
    Punched hole2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 48
Sorry for the late reply since I just came back from work.
1) Yes all 10 disc have punched holes on them and they all played fine on stand alone dvd player (no hiccup whatsoever).
2) I tried to rip the dvd's using anydvd rip to img but it stopped at 1%.
, the same go for DVD Shrink, Nero Recode and Imgburn.
3) My sister in law bought the same title from a different store and her set has the same punched hole on all 10 discs like my set.
Based on these above , my conclusion is this is a new kind of protection.
By the way, these discs released by MBC America.

What happens if you tell AnyDVD to skip over read errors when ripping to image?

-W

I had a similar problem

I had a similar problem with an Israeli DVD several years ago and beat it this way: I ripped the disc when it was in an internal drive which wasn't capable of burning DVDs, just CDs. The ripped files worked normally. I went through 3 discs before I stumbled onto this bypass (I won't call it a fix)...all had the same physical feature.

I had a similar problem with an Israeli DVD several years ago and beat it this way: I ripped the disc when it was in an internal drive which wasn't capable of burning DVDs, just CDs. The ripped files worked normally. I went through 3 discs before I stumbled onto this bypass (I won't call it a fix)...all had the same physical feature.

I think you just got lucky.... :)

-W

Back