• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Nero 9, and the Daemon driver...

xCharvelx416

I've tried searching just about every where on the web, to see if I could get Virtual CloneDrive and Nero 9 to play well together, and can't seem to do it.

Seems that Nero has almost always had issues with the daemon driver.. specifically it's right click menu shell extensions, ElbyVCDShell.dll.

I've tried to unregister the shell extensions, but I get the "cannot find file error" even though the command prompt is in that directory.

Nero's error: "Failed to create empty document"

System: Windows 7, 32bit Ultimate
VCD Version: 5.4.4.0
Nero 9, version 9.4.26.0
(also have AnyDVD running in the background)

Here's what worked before:

Installed Nero 8.. (version 8.3.13.0a) used it for some time, before using VCD. Both worked... on the Windows 7 RC. I switched to VCD after using Alcohol 52.

Fresh install of Windows 7, installed VCD first, then Nero 9.. doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Firstly it should work, i'm using VCD and nero 9.4.26 and have absolutely 0 issues.
Second ElbyVCDShell.dll is not a daemon tools driver, its part of Virtual Clone Drive. The daemon tools "driver" that usually is a massive problem maker / read speed slower is called SPTD and can be removed from the filter list with IMGBurn.

Try uninstalling both Nero and VCD, then run the nero 9 clean tool. Reboot, install nero, then VCD

SPTD is not a DT or Alcohol Driver FROM this Company.
Duplex is a different one!

SPTD don't slow down your read speed.

http://www.duplexsecure.com/en/faq
The SPTD driver installed by DT and Alcohol does slow down the ripping speeds of the Blu-ray drives which is why most of us don't use it and just use VCD to mount ISO's, this has been know as an issue for a long time, speeds increased from around 4MB/s with the SPTD installed to around 18MB/s with it removed

Appreciate the suggestions.

What I've done so far now is:

Remove Nero 9. Used the Nero clean tool, though seen it wasn't as effective as Nero states it is.. the registry is still littered with entries from Nero.. most of them apply to file associations, and right click menu items.

Removed VCD. (again)

Used CCleaner to identify any particular lost or disassociated registry entries that may have been noticeable, but didn't find any. Even though you could clearly see that Nero was removed, the registry entries for Nero were still there and CCleaner did not identify them as being useless.

Re-installed Nero 8. Nero 8 being the one I purchased last year, Nero 9 being the trial edition.

Same thing.

"Failed to create an empty document".

Now.. this didn't happen before with the RC version, but then again I had Nero 8 installed before VCD. This time.. it's after it.

So... something's hanging around in the registry, or a registered DLL associated with right click menu options.. a stray driver, or something that has now caused both Nero's to have the exact same issue.

I have searched Nero's website to find "no results"..

As of now.. I have re-installed VCD because I need the program, IMGBurn for general purposes.. and have tried the Roxio trial, that works just fine.

So.. I can either beat my head against the wall, or just stick with what works!

Not a clue how this happened.. but Nero 8 is now working.

Only thing I tried, was creating a DVD with some home vids.. used Nero Vision to create (which is like watching the grass grow on this system). Then fired up Nero Burning ROM, and it worked like a charm.

Well.. consider this small time crisis resolved I guess, wish I could post how it came to be in case someone else runs into the problem.

A crappy tool inside the nero suite that can recode dvd's to single layer. CloneDVD kicks its ass

Nero Recode is for transcoding and copying DVDs. Nero Vision is a video editing and authoring application. CloneDVD and Nero Vision really cannot be compared since they have different purposes. CloneDVD is much better than Nero Recode with respect to handling newer protections when used in conjunction with AnyDVD and CloneDVD simply is less buggy. Certain bugs in Nero Recode have existed for years and will likely never be resolved (ie hanging when a DVD makes use of more than ~50 titles which is rather common these days).

Last edited:
Back