• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Nasty oily substance - brand new 4K blu-rays

twinpeaks

Anyone else got new Blu-Rays in the last month that have some nasty oily substance on both the disk and the case? If I don't wipe it off, the player won't read it and I don't want to contaminate the reader. Gosh knows what kinds of carcinogens in this substance :mad:

I heard that there can be a film, even on brand-new discs, that can make them hard to read. But I never experienced any Disc to be covered in oil.

I heard that there can be a film, even on brand-new discs, that can make them hard to read. But I never experienced any Disc to be covered in oil.
the case where the disc touches is coated. The disk itself gets blotches from touching the case.

Yes, it's been a problem for years now. @testiles and I were just discussing this very issue. I'll tell you what I told him. Dawn dishwashing liquid. Not anything else. Just Dawn. Wash the oil off and dry it with a microfiber cloth. This is what I had to do to my TNG box set recently. A pain in the ass for sure.

The oil situation has always been there. It's somehow just gotten worse where the oil is like smeared all over the discs. Like twinpeaks, I had oil on the damn CASE as well as the discs. And just wiping it off is NOT sufficient. Worse, the oil dries over time leaving a film (that is what most people find on discs and they use a microfiber cloth to clean). The problem with the dried oil film is that microfibering the disc isn't sufficient to remove all of it. It might work to get a clean read of the disc but over time it'll get worse. Cleaning them in Dawn, carefully, and then CAREFULLY drying the disc is the only thing I've found to be a working solution. You MUST NOT scratch the disc in that process. UHD's are sensitive. Especially triple layer.

The oil situation has always been there. It's somehow just gotten worse where the oil is like smeared all over the discs. Like twinpeaks, I had oil on the damn CASE as well as the discs. And just wiping it off is NOT sufficient. Worse, the oil dries over time leaving a film (that is what most people find on discs and they use a microfiber cloth to clean). The problem with the dried oil film is that microfibering the disc isn't sufficient to remove all of it. It might work to get a clean read of the disc but over time it'll get worse. Cleaning them in Dawn, carefully, and then CAREFULLY drying the disc is the only thing I've found to be a working solution. You MUST NOT scratch the disc in that process. UHD's are sensitive. Especially triple layer.
You must seem to lobby for Procter&Gamble 😄. I just use liquid soap and it does the same job.

You must seem to lobby for Procter&Gamble 😄. I just use liquid soap and it does the same job.

That's great and all but if your "liquid soap" contains any particles at all, it'll scratch the hell out of the disc.

I was just kidding but I never heard of liquid soap containing particles. Of course no stuff for really dirty hands containing particles should be used.

I honestly never noticed it until this past month. My Star Trek TOS and TNG 4K releases all have this nasty shit everywhere. And my All Star Superman did as well. God knows what this chemical does if it gets in your skin and blood system.

For what it's worth I've been using these. They are mostly used to clean car windows but they multi-purpose into absorbing things without leaving lint. Probably not as thorough as Dawn though which dissolves anything you can't see.

Apparently this has been an issue for quite some time now..check out entries HERE:...https://www.google.com/search?q=new+Blu-Rays+in+the+last+month+that+have+some+nasty+oily+substance+on+both+the+disk&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS1041US1041&oq=new+Blu-Rays+in+the+last+month+that+have+some+nasty+oily+substance+on+both+the+disk&aqs=chrome..69i57.3598245j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#ip=1

Excessive mould release along with scratched discs tends to be attributed to, or quite common from, the Technicolor plant in Guadalajara, Mexico.

Yes, it's been a problem for years now. @testiles and I were just discussing this very issue. I'll tell you what I told him. Dawn dishwashing liquid. Not anything else. Just Dawn. Wash the oil off and dry it with a microfiber cloth. This is what I had to do to my TNG box set recently. A pain in the ass for sure.
But is that Dawn Original, Dawn Platinum, Dawn Botanicals, Dawn Free & Clear or perhaps more likely Dawn Gentle Clean or Dawn Ultra Gentle Clean?

Last edited:
Original. Same stuff they use to clean birds when there's an oil spill.

It's a film caused by the plastic cases, use a microfiber cloth meant for eyeglasses and your hot breath to make the disc condense. I have tried the premoistened lens wipes but those seem to require a lot of force and mar the disc.

I use a very dilute liquid hand soap, not good enough to use for cleaning one's hands, but works wonders for getting gook and fingerprints off of disc surfaces.

I haven't gotten any BDs that require using the soap yet, it works wonder of used DVDs I've purchased in the past. I'd wager it would cut through this reported oily stuff adequately if I ever have the need.

Back