• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

my problem with the simpsons

GregRocket

anydvd 6.3.0.0 will not read the simpsons movie

I tried using anydvd 6.3.0.1 with The Simpsons Movie Region 1 and I can not back it up. The disc goes to about 2% done and then slows to a crawl until it just stops and drops to 0.0 KBytes/s.

On my LG player the disc can be read but on my generic dvd player it can not even read it.

I tried to clone the movie using CloneCD 5.3.1.0. I also tried CloneDVD 2.9.1.2 which showed CRC error messages when trying to preview the titles on the disc.

The Simpson's disc is scratch free and plays fine in my Phillips DVD Player on my home theater system.

I was able to backup the newly release "Stardust" DVD BTW.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_D_SIMPSONS_WS.zip
    74.4 KB · Views: 5
Cdralw2k (system32\drivers\Cdralw2k.sys), Version: 5.3.2.31 (5.3.2.31)
Company: Roxio
Product: DirectCD
Copyright: Copyright (c) 2001,2002, Roxio, Inc.
Description: CDRAL for Windows 2000 Kernel Driver
FileVersion: 5.3.2.31
ProductVersion: 5.3.2.31

Cdr4_2K (system32\drivers\Cdr4_2K.sys), Version: 5.3.2.31 (5.3.2.31)
Company: Roxio
Product: DirectCD
Copyright: Copyright (c) 2001,2002, Roxio, Inc.
Description: CDR4_2k CDR Helper
FileVersion: 5.3.2.31
ProductVersion: 5.3.2.31

Get rid of the packet writing software on your system (Roxio's Directcd). Packet writing software is known to conflict with many software programs including Slysoft's.

i) Create a backup of your registry
ii) Download imgburn. It's a free program: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
(it's also an excellent program imo)
iii) Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order. Select "Cdr4_xp". Click "Remove Selected Filter". Select "Cdralw2k". Click "Remove Selected Filter". Click "ok".
iv) Reboot

Keep in mind whatever programs installed those filters will no longer function properly.

2. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. With Anydvd running in the background, select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is (probably) bad and needs to be exchanged--even if it plays fine (or your optical drive could be slowly dying).

Get rid of the packet writing software on your system (Roxio's Directcd). Packet writing software is known to conflict with many software programs including Slysoft's.

i) Create a backup of your registry
ii) Download imgburn. It's a free program: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
(it's also an excellent program imo)
iii) Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order. Select "Cdr4_xp". Click "Remove Selected Filter". Select "Cdralw2k". Click "Remove Selected Filter". Click "ok".
iv) Reboot

Keep in mind whatever programs installed those filters will no longer function properly.

2. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. With Anydvd running in the background, select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is (probably) bad and needs to be exchanged--even if it plays fine (or your optical drive could be slowly dying).

OK I did all of the above but still get the same result. Nero Speed did show bad sectors on The Simpson Disc. I ran the Nero speed on some other discs I have and they all check out fine. So I'll assume my dvd drive is fine (it hasn't been giving me any trouble) and I'll just go with the Disc is probably bad and return it. :(

Last edited:
it's probably a bad original.I did mine perfect using the latest Anydvd and Clonedvd.Burned with IMGBURN.

OK I did all of the above but still get the same result. Nero Speed did show bad sectors on The Simpson Disc. I ran the Nero speed on some other discs I have and they all check out fine. So I'll assume my dvd drive is fine (it hasn't been giving me any trouble) and I'll just go with the Disc is probably bad and return it. :(

Yes, you have a bad original disc.

Update

I have a new replacement disc for "The Simpson's Movie" I put it into my one computers DVD drive, which is a I/O Magic drive, and it can not read this disc at all just as it could not read the first disc I had. I put the disc into my main copy dvd system which uses an LG drive that I never have had problems with. Ran Nero speed test and at 51% the disc shows errors just like the previous disc I had. I can not backup this title. :(

I can play the disc in my home DVD players but not my computer DVD drives. I was able to back up the new Rob Zombie Halloween without problem.

I hope this is just a one time issue with this title and not some new copy protection trying to make discs that are not computer friendly but run fine on home DVD systems. I know it's nothing to do with AnyDVD but I see others are having issues with the Simpson's Movie so something is going on...

I hope this is just a one time issue with this title and not some new copy protection

It's not. It sounds like an issue right around the layer break position. It may be another bad original disc--or this might be an issue with your drive possibly not being able to read properly at max speed.

You might want to try enabling speed control in Anydvd (and reducing the speed) to see if that helps. Or maybe try another drive to read this disc.

Bad original discs aren't really uncommon anymore, either, unfortunately.

It's not. It sounds like an issue right around the layer break position. It may be another bad original disc--or this might be an issue with your drive possibly not being able to read properly at max speed.

You might want to try enabling speed control in Anydvd (and reducing the speed) to see if that helps. Or maybe try another drive to read this disc.

Bad original discs aren't really uncommon anymore, either, unfortunately.

I did try another PC with an I/O Magic drive and it can not read the disc at all. Slowing the drive down with AnyDVD did not help :(

What DVD drive make and model do you use? I wonder if it's time for me to update to a newer drive?

BTW I did read this about CD Music protection, I know that was some time ago but I hope they don't try this with DVDs
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,69504-page,1/article.html

What DVD drive make and model do you use? I wonder if it's time for me to update to a newer drive?

I don't really like to recommend drives. However, I am fond of the Plextor PX-760a (but mostly for running quality tests: pi/po and jitter testing).

I also think the Samsung SH-S203B is a half-decent burner (I didn't like older Samsung burners, but that SH-S203B is half-decent; it's a SATA burner): http://cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=306&page=Conclusion

But if those discs are failing in two different drives, then it seems to me some bad originals were sold.

Last edited:
I have 3 computers with DVD drives.

One is and LG DVD drive which I use all the time and the discs created with this drive work perfectly including DL discs.

One computer with an I/O Magic drive that I rarely use but it does read scratched discs better then the LG. But this drive has trouble writing DL discs.

And finally I have a computer with a first gen Sony DL drive that I have not used for some time.

Well I put the Simpson's movie in the Sony drive and was able to back it up. :clap:
Interesting... :confused:

Well I put the Simpson's movie in the Sony drive and was able to back it up. :clap:

Some drives are better than others at reading past faults or defects. I'd be looking to replace the two drives that didn't read the disc well though.

Back