• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

My problem with 30 Days of Night

phil1970

Three different decryption programs (AnyDVD being one of them) failed to help on this movie. The problem is in the same spot as Bid Dog Daddy O (VTS_01_4.VOB). The last time something like this happened to me I just waited a little while and things ended up working out. I have read all the info on bad batches and such and I don't think that is the problem. Let me explain:

I live on the west coast of the United States. I went through three disks on 30 Days of Night. They all stuck on the exact same spot while playing in either of my DVD players and in the same spot when I tried to make a backup copy of them. Due to copyright laws, once a movie (or CD, for that matter) is opened, it can not be exchanged for anything except another copy of the same title (which would be fine if I could get one that works right), so I have a store credit of sorts for now...

Did anybody notice which entertainment company this DVD is released by...hmm...coincidence?

I don't like to name names, but I don't think this a coincidence; nor do I think that it was simply a bad batch (unless we all are in the same area for purposes of distribution). I can't help but wonder if the encryptimaniacs are playing games and releasing different batches with different encryptions.

Does anybody remember Catch and Release? Same company (if I remember correctly), same confusion among people...some of us had no problems, others could barely even get the movie to play let alone make a backup copy. I waited until a few more updates of AnyDVD were released and I had no problems with it, but in the mean-time I read all the postings by people that had no problems (that were very confident in pointing out that those of us who were having problems didn't know what we were talking about).

I hate it when someone tells me there is nothing special about an encryption when three differnent copies stick in the exact same spot in two different DVD players, a four month old HP laptop running Vista Ultimate (32 bit), and a Desktop that was custom built running XP Professional (all with DVD drives manufactured by different companies...NEC, Sony, Sanyo, etc...)--it especially bugs me when a "bad disk" from over a year ago copied just fine when I tried to copy it with AnyDVD a few versions later.

If anybody figures out what this problem is, please post the solution. I suppose I could get a fourth copy, follow Webslinger's instructions, and send the exact error code information if nobody else gets around to if before I do. I was kind of hoping for an AnyDVD update to fix the problem...

Last edited:
Left Out of Previous Reply

All three 30 Days of Night disks were giving the same error code as BigDogDaddyO, and I am hoping a new batch will come in to try that (even though I don't really think that is the problem on this one). I will definately post again if that fixes the problem; if not, I will take Webslingers advice/step by step instructions on posting the error codes.

I can't help but wonder if the encryptimaniacs are playing games and releasing different batches with different encryptions.

No. There's nothing on this disc other than CSS in region 1. Period

Does anybody remember Catch and Release?

And Catch and Release in Region 1 was only CSS protected as well. Catch and Release in region 2, 4, and 5 did contain Arccos.

I waited until a few more updates of AnyDVD were released and I had no problems with it

Updating Anydvd had no bearing on your ability to read a disc that only contains CSS.

I hate it when someone tells me there is nothing special about an encryption

I fail to see why you dislike the truth.

If anybody figures out what this problem is, please post the solution.

Here's one person's solution: click http://club.cdfreaks.com/2009730-post9.html

I was kind of hoping for an AnyDVD update to fix

No update is needed

CSS was broken years ago

Last edited:
Three different decryption programs (AnyDVD being one of them) failed to help on this movie. The problem is in the same spot as Bid Dog Daddy O (VTS_01_4.VOB). The last time something like this happened to me I just waited a little while and things ended up working out. I have read all the info on bad batches and such and I don't think that is the problem. Let me explain:

I live on the west coast of the United States. I went through three disks on 30 Days of Night. They all stuck on the exact same spot while playing in either of my DVD players and in the same spot when I tried to make a backup copy of them. Due to copyright laws, once a movie (or CD, for that matter) is opened, it can not be exchanged for anything except another copy of the same title (which would be fine if I could get one that works right), so I have a store credit of sorts for now...

Did anybody notice which entertainment company this DVD is released by...hmm...coincidence?

I don't like to name names, but I don't think this a coincidence; nor do I think that it was simply a bad batch (unless we all are in the same area for purposes of distribution). I can't help but wonder if the encryptimaniacs are playing games and releasing different batches with different encryptions.

Does anybody remember Catch and Release? Same company (if I remember correctly), same confusion among people...some of us had no problems, others could barely even get the movie to play let alone make a backup copy. I waited until a few more updates of AnyDVD were released and I had no problems with it, but in the mean-time I read all the postings by people that had no problems (that were very confident in pointing out that those of us who were having problems didn't know what we were talking about).

I hate it when someone tells me there is nothing special about an encryption when three differnent copies stick in the exact same spot in two different DVD players, a four month old HP laptop running Vista Ultimate (32 bit), and a Desktop that was custom built running XP Professional (all with DVD drives manufactured by different companies...NEC, Sony, Sanyo, etc...)--it especially bugs me when a "bad disk" from over a year ago copied just fine when I tried to copy it with AnyDVD a few versions later.

If anybody figures out what this problem is, please post the solution. I suppose I could get a fourth copy, follow Webslinger's instructions, and send the exact error code information if nobody else gets around to if before I do. I was kind of hoping for an AnyDVD update to fix the problem...

I had the same problem, I returned the DVD to Walmart and got a new one and it did the same thing at the same place. I was offered the option to retry in CloneDvd which I tried and the DVD completed transcoding and it burned fine. It had no effect on the copy. I think it was a poorly made DVD personally. As far AnyDvd it worked fine so the problem is either one of three things a bad Dvd, burner or it is dirty. I think my problem was a bad Dvd.:)

Update

I might be wrong, I switched burners from Samsung 203n to Plextor 810SA and it transcoded and burned perfectly. Try switching burners if you have that option.:

I might be wrong, I switched burners from Samsung 203n to Plextor 810SA and it trancoded perfectly. Try switching burners if you have that option.:agree:

Some drives are better at reading past defects than others (and some drives are better readers than others).

Last edited:
Back