• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Monster vs Aliens 3D BD Disc 73Gb??

Nope. The PS3 is going to support half-rez 3D playback, as that's the max supported with non-HDMI 1.4.

That's been reported both ways, but the latest information seems to indicate it will support full res for each eye. As I said, it's not possible to do everything with the PS3 that's possible with HDMI 1.4, but the PS3's flexible architecture makes it possible to do full res. That's what I'm reading.

Well, that's simply wrong. The HDMI chip in the Sony is not capable of sending out 120 distinct full HD frames a second - the max is 60 hz.

Perhaps the new PS3 Slim has a newer HDMI chip in it?

In any case, this isn't about the processor, it's about the HDMI chip, and it's ability to negotiate a discrete 120Hz connection, which HDMI 1.3 is not capable of doing.

It's *possible* they will do 1080p/48 (which would be 1080p24 x 2), but that will be really painful on the eye with shutter glasses.

Well, that's simply wrong. The HDMI chip in the Sony is not capable of sending out 120 distinct full HD frames a second - the max is 60 hz.

In any case, this isn't about the processor, it's about the HDMI chip, and it's ability to negotiate a discrete 120Hz connection, which HDMI 1.3 is not capable of doing.

It's *possible* they will do 1080p/48 (which would be 1080p24 x 2), but that will be really painful on the eye with shutter glasses.

Obviously, company reps often make claims about their products that turn out not to be true, but here's a Sony rep talking about it. He explains that only the 3D video part of the HDMI 1.4 signal can be turned on, while all the other HDMI 1.4-specific components can't. The fat PS3 isn't even HDMI 1.3 - it's HDMI 1.2. The PS3 slim is 1.3.

It's been widely reported in other places that the video coming from the PS3 will be Full HD 3D. If that's just marketing BS, I suppose it's par for the course to spread such disinformation.

In the end, it doesn't make much difference to me. I plan on getting a regular 3D Blu-ray player anyway. The plan was to move the PS3 to another room. 3D Blu-ray players aren't that much more than regular Blu-ray players.

It doesn't have to.

3D support for PS3 will include all models.

And which is not necessary.

Of course output of a 3D movie at 24p will simply double the needed bandwidth compared to a 2D movie - and HDMI 1.3 equipment can easily handle this. Whether the output is side by side, one frame above the other or alternating at 48p simply doesn't matter. And of course this has nothing to do with the display frequency. It's up to the TV/projector to create a multiple of the original frequency to make it more comfortable to the eyes. This (amongst other reasons) is also why the TV (and not the player or in this case the PS3) has to create the 3D signal.

BTW: since the black phase of the shutter glasses needs to be pretty long (like 70% or even more) at least for LCDs, a typical 120Hz 3D-TV of the first generation will need to reintroduce the 3:2 pulldown to get 60Hz per eye. At least 144Hz are needed to display a 24p 3D movie without 3:2 pulldown.

And of course this has nothing to do with the display frequency.
You might want to learn a little more about 3D video. It has everything to do with the number of frames the source device can send to the destination device in a period of time... = frames/second = Hz.

It's up to the TV/projector to create a multiple of the original frequency to make it more comfortable to the eyes. This (amongst other reasons) is also why the TV (and not the player or in this case the PS3) has to create the 3D signal.
Almost right. Yes, the TV can do additional processing to make it more pleasing to the eyes, but at a minimum, the source device has to send out double the original frame rate (frequency) in order to get 3D.

And 48p for 3D has been generally deemed extremely fatiguing to the eyes.

BTW: since the black phase of the shutter glasses needs to be pretty long (like 70% or even more) at least for LCDs, a typical 120Hz 3D-TV of the first generation will need to reintroduce the 3:2 pulldown to get 60Hz per eye. At least 144Hz are needed to display a 24p 3D movie without 3:2 pulldown.

I think you're confusing the current TV refresh rate multipliers with discrete frame rate being sent from the source device. Currently this maxes out at 60p, or the source device sending 60 discrete frames per second. A 120Hz TV can't receive anything more, it just doubles what it gets.

A 3D TV, however, can actually receive more than 60 frame per second, allowing for *real* 3D. The PS3 is incapable of this.

Few engineers in the company where I work needed to investigate some parts of HDMI 1.4 3D specification and basically I recall 0xdeadbeef is right. Each frame is sent only once and it is up to display unit to display them at higher refresh rate (usually).

The new Samsung C7000 accepts the 24p left eye/right eye signal from a Full HD 3D Blu-ray player and displays at a frame rate of 120fps for each eye - 5:5 pulldown, so there's no 3:2 judder introduced. Although it has other issues (crosstalk), the motion is very smooth.

Yep, 240Hz displays will be fine of course, but most new 3d capable displays will be only 120Hz and thus need the pulldown.

@AbMagFab: re-read what I wrote. None of your comments or "corrections" is valid.

You'll need:

1) A new video card, that supports HDMI 1.4
2) A new TV that supports HDMI 1.4

The BluRay player is the least of the bottlenecks...

I'm not exactly sure what you are responding to, but if you are saying there won't be a software solution that will work with the likes of Nvidia 3D Vision and existing video cards and 3D Ready RP DLP, I think you are mistaken. It has been promised. It won't be full res, but it will be 3D. And with the adapter promised by Mits, I should even be able to do 3D DirecTV on my Samsung HL61A750. The only big question on that TV that I have is PS3 3D.

I'm not exactly sure what you are responding to, but if you are saying there won't be a software solution that will work with the likes of Nvidia 3D Vision and existing video cards and 3D Ready RP DLP, I think you are mistaken. It has been promised. It won't be full res, but it will be 3D. And with the adapter promised by Mits, I should even be able to do 3D DirecTV on my Samsung HL61A750. The only big question on that TV that I have is PS3 3D.

Correct - it won't be full rez. I was saying the above is necessary for full-rez HD.

Well HDMI 1.2 and 1.3 have the bandwidth to pass over full 3D HD but can't due to the 3D flag being disabled. What Sony are saying is that they can turn that flag back on in software thereby enabling the full 3D output

Well HDMI 1.2 and 1.3 have the bandwidth to pass over full 3D HD but can't due to the 3D flag being disabled. What Sony are saying is that they can turn that flag back on in software thereby enabling the full 3D output

Yes, they're saying it's just about the only feature they can enable for the PS3, but it's all that's needed to get Full HD 3D video. Theoretically, then, the video playback on the PS3 should look like a regular 3D Blu-ray player. None of the other HDMI 1.4 features are possible, but at this point I don't care about any of those other features. All I want is Full HD 3D. Now, HD audio is another issue. Most AVRs won't understand a Full HD 3D signal, so you'll probably have to hook the PS3 up to a 3D display directly, thus losing HD audio.

I wasn't clear. Sorry. I just meant that PowerDVD does not yet support 3D Blu-ray disc playback. I know it will someday soon. And I've also read that some existing nVidia cards will support it, too. I'm not sure about ATI cards, but I suspect some of them will also. I'm just looking forward to getting as much information as I can about HTPC support for 3D Blu-ray playback. I know 3D gaming has been big for some time now, and those who are passionate 3D game players are probably irritated that many people don't know that. I'm just not a gamer, and for me the relevant news is about computer playback of Blu-ray movies and still photographs.

3d dlp

I have a 3D Dlp setup with glasses, PC, and powerdvd 10. I have been trying to get this disc without having to buy the glasses kit so I can try it out because the powerdvd does output checkerboard and th 3d conversion works well

I have a 3D Dlp setup with glasses, PC, and powerdvd 10. I have been trying to get this disc without having to buy the glasses kit so I can try it out because the powerdvd does output checkerboard and th 3d conversion works well

I don't think the 3D Blu-ray support will be added until some time this summer, but it's good to hear the conversion works. What 3D sources do you have access to right now?

I have a couple of movies converted from anaglyph to stereoscopic on the pc, Journey in 720p and 480p of Battle for terra. Using Stereoscopic player also have tridef software

Hi all,

I'm (and much more) tried to get the film "Monsters vs Aliens 3D Blu-Ray" to run (at a PC with 3D Vision), unfortunately without success :bang:

Do somebody here know how to?

Have somebody already here the AVC-MVC codec, a MVC decoder or an updated version of the TotalMedia Theater or rather PowerDVD10?

Hope you can help me :bowdown:

Thx in advance and greetz

Back