• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Metadata with Slysoft

dougstrach

Would anyone using AnyDVD be interested in getting some DVD metadata along with the ISO's or VIDEO_TS folders that you are creating for your DVDs? Since most metadata services only can do text matching as a post process, I'm thinking it'd be very cool if AnyDVD could make the actual disc recognition as the DVD is in the drive, then accurately identify the DVD and provide information such as cover art, backdrops, actors, rating, etc...

This seems pretty standard with CDs, and AnyDVD seems the right fit for doing this for DVDs since the DVD has to be in the drive--and you can get great metadata results this way.

Everyone needs metadata right?

-dougstrach

I'm sure the metadata could be put on Slysoft's servers.

Everyone seems to be talking about "front-ends" a bunch which all require or retrieve metadata. Seems very logical to me just to add it in AnyDVD.

Despite the fact that I don't like it or need it... he makes a good point that AnyDVD requires the original disk, and is the 1st step in any process of a disk. It does seem that if metadata was to get "picked up" along the way.. that AnyDVD is in a good position to do just that.

-W

Despite the fact that I don't like it or need it... he makes a good point that AnyDVD requires the original disk

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Anydvd does not require the original disc in order to work.

Well, since AnyDVD is used to remove the CSS protection from CSS protected discs, in order to work, you need to insert a CSS protected disc into a PC.

AnyDVD is useless without inserting a DVD or BD into a drive.

Well, since AnyDVD is used to remove the CSS protection from CSS protected discs, in order to work, you need to insert a CSS protected disc into a PC.

Anydvd also works with unecrypted discs for stuff like subtitle transparency.
Regardless, I fail to see why Slysoft would want to spend time transferring cover art and actor information to its servers and paying for the expense of uploading that information to users.

I can't see that happening ever.

AnyDVD's purpose is being an on-the-fly decrypter. It removes protections. Adding metadata feature is far far outside the purview of the software and would involve time and effort to add. The feature simply doesn't fit within the parameters of why the program exists.

Of course, if the developers feel this would be useful then maybe they'll add it. I don't, however, think that they will.

So nearly every application out there used to manage a large collection of movies requires both Metadata and AnyDVD. Let's take MyMovies for instance. The whole concept of MyMovies is based on adding a piece of metadata with the ripped file so that it can be managed within a useful user interface. MyMovies doesn't exist without AnyDVD, so why not cut out the middle man? Just add the data at the source.

What do you use to manage your ripped content? You just browse the folders that you've named? How lame. Way back when people started ripping CDs, there were also a group of people in the technology who didn't believe CDDB was necessary. Boy, were they wrong. It's the same with DVDs. How can you possibly manage a collection of 5000 DVDs without metadata?

If AnyDVD could add metadata as an option for users who need it, it'd certainly fill a need that many who use the product have. If they don't want to add data, then they could simply calculate the Microsoft DirectX ID or equivalent to store in an XML file so that those that did want to add metadata don't have to spend hours with DVD Profiler, a bar code scanner, imports, exports and all the like to get a mediocre result.

This is a no-brainer for Slysoft. DVD ripping without metadata won't exist in 2 years, so they can pioneer an area and leave out any room for competition like RealDVD. (so far RealDVD has pumped in over $6MM USD and have announce they are appealing the injunction. If this goes through, AnyDVD is done).

So nearly every application out there used to manage a large collection of movies requires both Metadata and AnyDVD. Let's take MyMovies for instance. The whole concept of MyMovies is based on adding a piece of metadata with the ripped file so that it can be managed within a useful user interface. MyMovies doesn't exist without AnyDVD, so why not cut out the middle man? Just add the data at the source.

That's not Anydvd's responsibility. Anydvd is supposed to decrypt.

What do you use to manage your ripped content? You just browse the folders that you've named? How lame.

Sorry, I don't respond to flame bait.

This is a no-brainer for Slysoft.

Sure is: they shouldn't be wasting their time creating useless picture databases (the info is already available elsewhere), when they can spend their time decrypting discs, creating Slyplayer, and creating a new Blu-ray reauthoring tool.

(so far RealDVD has pumped in over $6MM USD and have announce they are appealing the injunction. If this goes through, AnyDVD is done).

I don't know where to begin with this comment.

Goodbye and have fun with RealDVD

Last edited:
AnyDVD removes protections from SD DVDs, HD-DVDs, and Blu-ray discs. The user can then edit, alter, do anything they want, and/or burn a backup of said media and then playback the backup in any applicable media playback device. A DVD player or Blu-ray player for DVDs and a Blu-ray player for Blu-ray backups. The protection is gone.

RealDVD rips only SD DVDs to a user's HDD and preserves the copy protections. You cannot alter the backup or burn it to a blank disc for playback on a standalone DVD or Blu-ray player. The user can only playback the ripped disc on the system first used to make this backup unless they pay more money for the ability to playback the backup on another device. These backups are limited to playback on a laptop/desktop system.

Whether RealDVD survives or not, I don't even remotely consider the program to be a competitor to Slysoft and it most definitely won't be the end of Slysoft. Comparing the two products against one another and saying RealDVD is competition is laughable.

The feature addition has been proposed and people have replied with their opinions. AnyDVD is a decrypter. It should not be the job of a decrypter to handle metadata. Nonetheless, Slysoft and its developers will do what they feel is in the best interest of the product and company.

Last edited:
Well, Obviously you two guys have it all figured out already. I'm certain you are in the minority as none of your arguments address the reasons why AnyDVD can't make it out of the fringe/underground software world and into the mass market.

Maybe it's time for someone else to jump in. One or two opinions in a forum is quite boring.

Well, Obviously you two guys have it all figured out already. I'm certain you are in the minority as none of your arguments address the reasons why AnyDVD can't make it out of the fringe/underground software world and into the mass market.

Maybe it's time for someone else to jump in. One or two opinions in a forum is quite boring.

You REALLY want more opinions on this? I couldn't possibly disagree with you more on this issue. Metadata does *NOT* belong in AnyDVD, and just because your opinion is that "no ripper in 2 years won't exist without it" does not make it true. You also fail to miss the point. AnyDVD is *NOT* a ripper. It's actually far more complex than that, but, because it's so simple to use people often mistake it for a "simple ripper". It's an on the fly protection removal system that aids HTPC users to watch their movies the way they want. Nothing about that suggests that a movie needs to be ripped in order for AnyDVD to work its magic. Quite the opposite, in fact, I use it on my rented movies to watch them the way I want. No ripping involved at all.

Metadata exists now where it should...programs like MyMovies and others that are designed to, shockingly enough, manage your library of movies. Odd, I know. That's where metadata belongs and where it should stay. Hey, you asked...

I'm certain you are in the minority .

Is that before or after you're certain we're all supposed to be worrying about whether the fate of RealDVD will affect Anydvd?

. the reasons why AnyDVD can't make it out of the fringe/underground software world and into the mass market.

I'm not sure what your definition of fringe is since Anydvd gets downloaded over 2 million times per month.

Last edited:

I disagree with you because, simply put, metadata features don't belong in AnyDVD which is an on-the-fly decrypter. That says it all. That single statement is the answer and reason why. I don't need to write a novel to make that short and simple statement.

Handling metadata should be done by movie management software. The programs already exist and have the ability. Why should AnyDVD have a feature added to it that has no business being in the program and already exists in software for managing movie libraries?

AnyDVD is not a fringe program or underground movement. The traffic in the forums as well as the amount of users of the software display that. I also don't believe adding a metadata feature would move the program out of the fringe/underground. Which belongs in a decrypter: (1) metadata features or (2) removing CSS, removing structural protections, removing RCE protection, removing region coding for SD DVDs and Blu-ray discs, removing AACS, removing BD-Live, and removing BD+? When looking at those two choices one is the obvious winner and belongs in a decrypter program while the other does not.

You've asked for a feature and that's fine. The problem is you aren't accepting the facts of what the program is intended for and does. The program is a decrypter and that is as simple as it gets. Trying to dissuade us from the facts simply isn't a way to convince us that the feature addition would be a good idea. When people voiced an opinion different than yours you flame baited by throwing out RealDVD as competition and something that would doom Slysoft. IMHO, even mentioning that weakened the foundation of your case because it simply wasn't a valid reason for AnyDVD to be given a metadata feature.

You put out an idea and received replies. Most of the replies don't agree with you and I feel everyone, thus far, has been polite in how they replied. I suggest that if you want to put forth a valid and solid case for a metadata feature to be added that you don't continue to throw out flame bait in doing so. Doing so only hurts your case and weakens your argument.

I replied with my initial statement that I didn't believe a metadata feature should be added. You then replied with your flame bait which I replied to because that false information concerning RealDVD needed to be addressed. You are completely free to continue to post about this but I'd recommend focusing on why AnyDVD should add the feature rather than using another program as the reason for adding it. Doom and gloom, flame baiting, and saying AnyDVD is a fringe product and isn't bigger because metadata is missing probably isn't the best approach. I have nothing against you but I just completely disagree with you.

At the end of the day, Slysoft and its developers make the decisions and we don't. If they feel an argument is solid for adding a feature then they might do so. In this specific case, I find that highly unlikely but you never know.

Last edited:
Back