• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Make powersaving optional

Shouldn't this be a user-selectable option, like most software players have?

Why would a user want the system to go into power saving mode while ripping? I'm not sure I understand why we'd want it to be optional. :confused:

Why would a user want the system to go into power saving mode while ripping? I'm not sure I understand why we'd want it to be optional. :confused:
Because
a) it will turn off the monitor while it rips - I have a very expensive CRT projector which does not like a static screen for the 45 minutes it takes to rip a BluRay - burn-in on $4,500 worth of tubes (R+G+B) can happen very quickly
b) will not interfere with third-party power schemes like RightMark CPU utility which does a lot of regulation of cores only when it is integrated into the Windows power scheme - disabling stops it from working (I paid for it, I want it to work).

Your question makes it seem as if the only thing power saving does is hinder activity of AnyDvd - which is obviously not the case. Just because some users can't configure their powersaving schemes properly doesn't mean that Slysoft should take a hammer and hit the rest of us on the head who do NOT want powersaving disabled.

Make it user-selectable, and the problem goes away - you can even default it to on for those who don't even know what I am complaining about....

Just like the peremptory removal of system restore point creation on install, this is another example of Slysoft going down the road of we know what's good for you, so just suck it up. I refuse to do that without a complaint, but doubt that anyone from the foxhole cares. It almost seems like the Cyberlink mentality has made its way to Antigua by osmosis.

Here's why (from the 6.4.2.7 beta thread):

Originally Posted by DrinkLyeAndDie
Why would a user want the system to go into power saving mode while ripping? I'm not sure I understand why we'd want it to be optional.

Because
a) it will turn off the monitor while it rips - I have a very expensive CRT projector which does not like a static screen for the 45 minutes it takes to rip a BluRay - burn-in on $4,500 worth of tubes (R+G+B) can happen very quickly
b) will not interfere with third-party power schemes like RightMark CPU utility which does a lot of regulation of cores only when it is integrated into the Windows power scheme - disabling stops it from working (I paid for it, I want it to work).

Your question makes it seem as if the only thing power saving does is hinder activity of AnyDvd - which is obviously not the case. Just because some users can't configure their powersaving schemes properly doesn't mean that Slysoft should take a hammer and hit the rest of us on the head who do NOT want powersaving disabled.

Make it user-selectable, and the problem goes away - you can even default it to on for those who don't even know what I am complaining about....

Just like the peremptory removal of system restore point creation on install, this is another example of Slysoft going down the road of we know what's good for you, so just suck it up. I refuse to do that without a complaint, but doubt that anyone from the foxhole cares. It almost seems like the Cyberlink mentality has made its way to Antigua by osmosis.

I do not want to cross-post, but it is obvious that the developers will be looking at this thread rather than the one for the previous version. I want to make sure they read this and hopefully respond as to why they cannot put in a simple option such as this.

Last edited:
You make some valid points about why it should be an optional setting for the powersaving, profcolli, and I'll give you that but haven't you ever heard, "It's easier to attract bees with honey than with vinegar."?

Comparing Slysoft to Cyberlink is downright insulting.

I do not want to cross-post

Don't then. :policeman:

but it is obvious that the developers will be looking at this thread rather than the one for the previous version.

I don't care. Don't create the same thing in multiple threads. No one should have to switch back and forth between threads to follow a conversation. Drinkyleanddie replied to you in the 6.5.2.8 thread initially. Then he thought he made a mistake and posted in the 6.5.2.7 thread instead. That sort of confusion is unnecessary.

Last edited:
Don't then. :policeman:

I don't care. Don't create the same thing in multiple threads. No one should have to switch back and forth between threads to follow a conversation. Drinkyleanddie replied to you in the 6.5.2.8 thread initially. Then he thought he made a mistake and posted in the 6.5.2.7 thread instead. That sort of confusion is unnecessary.
Webslinger:
In that case I apologize for creating any confusion - actually, my initial post (and DL&D's initial reply which I responded to in the relocated posts) was in the 6.5.2.7 beta thread. My main point is to get an answer from the developers, and because of the switch from the beta to the official release, the new thread seemed to be appropriate to voice my concerns. I will remain in this thread from now on as far as this topic is concerned. Hopefully Slysoft will respond here as well.

DrinkLyeandDie:
Honey and vinegar might work as an aphorism, but I have learned that a complaint has to be voiced strongly - this is not a "please, please" situation, this is a serious change to my system, for the reasons that I posted, which can be resolved by the simple expedient of offering a user-selectable option in the Settings dialog.

Comparing Cyberlink to Slysoft is not insulting, it is a statement of fact relating to changes to software and specific performance expectations without user input.

I am as loyal to Slysoft as most users on this forum, but this is a trend which needs to be thought about seriously. My investment in my equipment is worth a lot more to me than playing patty-cake just to be nice - I want an answer and a resolution.

I have sent a request (yes, a polite one) to Slysoft support through the ticket system about this - perhaps that is where I should have started in the first place, rather than venting my frustration in these forums.

In general, I humbly apologize for any aggravation caused, but this really got my goat - I have a serious investment at potential risk here, and the integrated powersaving is one of the protection mechanisms that I have in place. I already learned through bitter experience what burn-in can do to my system (read: replacement RGB tubes).

Last edited:
I would point out that Slysoft is not the U.S. Government and may not feel the need to bail out people misusing their poor investment in over-priced, self-destructive, museum-piece hardware. But that would be beating a dead horse.:D

I, for one, minimize the wear on my much cheaper, more efficient and higher performance modern hardware with a second monitor that I use for casual viewing and computer access. In fact, that is where I am typing this now.8)

In a less contentious vein, is Windows power management an all or nothing thing? Is there nothing between the possibility of effective shutdown of the machine and completely disabling the power management? There is no activity level sufficient for keeping the CPU and hardware active enough to perform the ripping operation without forcing the display to be active?

If not, I am not sure that it is worth cluttering the UI or the preference panes with another setting to confuse the uninitiated.

Next version will make it optional.
Thank you, and also to Frank Hollander of Slysoft Support who passed this over to the developers. :rock:

I sincerely apologize for comparing Slysoft to Cyberlink as Slysoft have just demonstrated how they can resolve an issue such as this very quickly to everyone's satisfaction. I don't think I'll be making a similar claim on the Cyberlink forums anytime soon :D

Back