• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Looking for tips on IDE Blu-Ray Burner supporting BD-R DL

Pelvis Popcan

I don't believe any IDE Blu-Ray burners are being made any more that support BD-R/E/DL. (For example the Plextor PX-B900A.)

They are a rare item, most people have no need for one, but I would like to pick on up and preferably not have to pay $1,000 for it.

Any tips on anything I might have missed on Google or eBay would be appreciated!

(I do know there are SATA to IDE adapters but I'm apprehensive about those... I'm not sure if you can update firmware over one of those.)

Why do you even want a Blu-ray burner with an IDE connection over SATA?

My two year old computer does not even have the old school primary and secondary and master and slave IDE connections on the motherboard.
It only has a connection on the motherboard for a master and slave connection of IDE connections with NO cables.

Stick with SATA, electrically speaking if you can find a connector SATA to IDE and I doubt it, it will work but as an IDE connection.

:agree:

Why do you even want a Blu-ray burner with an IDE connection over SATA?

Because I do. Please, I'd really not like to get into the merits of IDE vs SATA, I do know that SATA is superior. Let's just say I have an interest in the equipment for esoteric reasons.

I don't believe any IDE Blu-Ray burners are being made any more that support BD-R/E/DL.

There is a reason why IDE is starting to be phased out that is why any BD burners are now Sata. So you won't find any BD burners that will come out with IDE. That just how technology is IDE will go out and be replaced with Sata. There is nothing here about IDE vs Sata as technology progress Sata is replacing IDE. So you have to go Sata or nothing that is the choice you have now. Also here what it says on Newegg sites about your product your looking at...

This product is currently unavailable.

Also I avoid Ebay like a plague unless you know for sure the product your getting is what they are selling and also not just ripping you off for your money and dissappearing after making the sale and not sending the product. If you get that product your left with using the IDE to Sata adapters that is the only choice you have unless your mobo has at least a single IDE connector on it.

Also I avoid Ebay like a plague unless you know for sure the product your getting is what they are selling and also not just ripping you off for your money and dissappearing after making the sale and not sending the product. If you get that product your left with using the IDE to Sata adapters that is the only choice you have unless your mobo has at least a single IDE connector on it.

I've had nothing but good experiences on eBay in the entire 9 years I've been signed up. You just need to be sure to check the feedback of the seller you're dealing with.

The whole e-paranoia thing is a bit 90s.

I agree, I've never had a bad experience with Ebay.
Back to the original topic, I can fully understand why he wants an IDE Blu-ray writer and telling him he has to go SATA when he's already stated he wants an IDE is unhelpful.
I have a Sony BWU-100a and it reads faulty discs that other drives just won't read. It was an expensive drive when I got it, but it's really well built.
BTW there are a few available on Ebay

Last edited:
SATA to IDE adapters

(I do know there are SATA to IDE adapters but I'm apprehensive about those... I'm not sure if you can update firmware over one of those.)

I tried updating my SATA burner firmware via a SATA to IDE adapter and ended up with a DEAD BURNER

My computer lacks SATA connections but I had an adapter on hand so I purchased a SATA burner anyway. Worked PERFECT - I saw that a firmware update was available so I went ahead and attempted to update.

My burner was under warranty so I received a replacement at no charge. When I upgrade my computer in a few months it will likely come with SATA connections.

I will then connect the burner direct to the computer and then update the firmware!

If I had to fit a SATA drive to a computer with no SATA ports, I'd not use a IDE-SATA adapter. I'd use a SATA add-in card to give me proper SATA ports.

--
SC

People need IDE PATA BDR drives for stand-alone dupe'r

Hello,

I have several stand alone 1-7 and 1-12 ROM copiers, no PC needed, duplication devices. Many of these devices, which have been out for years, used IDE because that was what they had when these were designed. Many of the stand alone duplication devices have upgradable firmware, so you could start with a 7 drive CDR, then upgrade to a DVD5 drive, then to DVD9, etc. The next logical step for these units would be to put in BDR25 drives, if possible. Since many of them are native 80 pin IDE/PATA devices, getting drives without adapters would be wonderful. However, in my devices, I know I have enough room for adapters, if I need to go that way.

Many of these control boards that run these devices have a mere 200MHz low power CPU, and 16MB or so of RAM. They boot to on onboard flash with a stripped linux kernel, usually 2.6 or earlier. Then, the copying functions are done using the linux dd program. Since dd does not care about the drive, it just instructs the controller to image and copy whatever data in present on any disc, and then write it to the other discs at the same time.

This is the main reason people would want the IDE PATA BDR BDRE drives today, the speed is much slower than a SATA bus, but if you have what I do, this would be the easiest way to upgrade to copy BDR discs.

David

Some of the very early Blu-ray drives were IDE, but they haven't made IDE blu-ray drives for about 5 years as there's no call for them. I can only assume your duplicators are really old as we sell duplication units and haven't used IDE since before Blu-ray was released

If I had to fit a SATA drive to a computer with no SATA ports, I'd not use a IDE-SATA adapter. I'd use a SATA add-in card to give me proper SATA ports.

--
SC

That is what I need. My HDs are SATA, but there are only two connectors one for each HD. I need two more for SATA BR burners. Any tips on which one to get?

Floyd

That is what I need. My HDs are SATA, but there are only two connectors one for each HD. I need two more for SATA BR burners. Any tips on which one to get?

Floyd

You have to get a pci-e or pci adapter card that have more sata ports to do that with and that is if you have a desktop to start with since you didn't mention what kinda computer your talking about?

Because I do. Please, I'd really not like to get into the merits of IDE vs SATA, I do know that SATA is superior. Let's just say I have an interest in the equipment for esoteric reasons.

A updated but one can look at eBay there are some IDE BD on sell there as well...

Back