• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Longevity Of DVDs

Suntower

I assume this has been asked/answered (or wondered about) many times, but I couldn't find an answer.

Like many, I have experienced numerous problems with various DVD blanks over the years, but it seems like the problems -I- notice are right after burning.

However, I used to hear all manner of stories of CD-Rs degrading over time. I'm wondering if there is any way to determine the -longevity- of DVD blanks?

I ask because I've been using some -really- inexpensive DVD blanks from HP that -seem- to have burned just fine. But I wonder if they will -still- be OK, say 4-5 years from now... or maybe they'll age no worse than the high priced Verbatims.

Any way to tell?

TIA

---JC

I assume this has been asked/answered (or wondered about) many times, but I couldn't find an answer.

Like many, I have experienced numerous problems with various DVD blanks over the years, but it seems like the problems -I- notice are right after burning.

However, I used to hear all manner of stories of CD-Rs degrading over time. I'm wondering if there is any way to determine the -longevity- of DVD blanks?

I ask because I've been using some -really- inexpensive DVD blanks from HP that -seem- to have burned just fine. But I wonder if they will -still- be OK, say 4-5 years from now... or maybe they'll age no worse than the high priced Verbatims.

Any way to tell?

TIA

---JC

There is also others factors outside of the blank dvd that attributes to longievity of the burned media. Not in all the correct order but you get the idea...could be more but these I think are the most important ones...

-Burn speed and no multitasking when doing burning to prevent errors
-Media type and quality
-Burner hardware and firmware revision
-Computer specs this being that is burning is hardware and system intensive process

I used Memorex, Verbatim, Fuji, Sony, HP, Windata

And I choose Windata because it inexpensive and when I do use it I only burn at 2-2.4x for SL and DL media and for BD I use Imgburn which choose auto what speed but that has worked fine so far for it.

So there are alot of other outside factors you need to consider on longevity of DVD as well beside the media itself.

Ever notice that commercially released DVD movies don't come in clear jewel boxes? Store them in the dark if you want them to last.

Ever notice that commercially released DVD movies don't come in clear jewel boxes? Store them in the dark if you want them to last.

that too I store most of my dvd in the case they came in and if I backup I put them in a cd/dvd case holder and hide them away til they are needed to play instead of the original dvd/BD movie media.

I have some MSP (rebranded Verbatim I think) CD blanks here. They were burned 1997 with a venerable TEAC CD writer (can't recall the model name anymore) which destroyed every mofoing third CD blank during burning... and they still work.

They have been stored in a dark, dry place, e.g. a simple black CD map with plastic inserts, closed with a zipper so dust cannot reach them. And the dye still has retained its dark blue color. I think storing discs in a dark, dry and scratch- resp. dust-free place is key to longevity, apart from the blanks' quality.

Back