• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Kaby Lake CPU

pepegotme

Not good news:
It also comes with support for HDCP 2.2 (High-Bandwidth Digital Copy Protection). This is a DRM package used to ensure that digital content isn’t intercepted between the source and the display. Although DRM remains hugely unpopular, HDCP is required to rent movies on iTunes and Amazon Instant Video, among other sites.
It also will not run Windows 7. Good news for hardware and software vendors as a lot of legacy software and hardware will not work with this CPU.

Remember, AnyDVD has never removed HDCP of any sort. Instead, what it does do is remove the need for HDCP. When software players that enforce HDCP (usually the commercial players) are given an unencrypted blu ray folder structure, which is what AnyDVD HD does, they no longer care if HDCP works or not. No encryption = No need for HDCP. I would assume the same will hold true for HDCP 2.2 when AnyDVD (U)HD supports those discs.

Also, I'm not sure it's true that Kaby Lake CPUs will not run Windows 7. Such a setup might not be officially supported by Microsoft, drivers for the graphics hardware may not be available (you could just use another graphics card), and new CPU instructions on the new chip will not be available to programs, but it should still run.

Also, I'm not sure it's true that Kaby Lake CPUs will not run Windows 7.
I believe you could still install Windows 9x on a modern CPU/computer(given you have an ODD and SATA ports with a BIOS that supports legacy IDE mode.), the main problem is finding drivers for such an old OS. Heck, you might even be able to install Windows 3.1 or even MS-DOS. Just don't expect to get sound without an ISA sound blaster.

drivers for the graphics hardware may not be available (you could just use another graphics card)
Maybe someone will come out with a third-party modified display driver for Windows 7 and the new CPUs like they did back in the day for Windows 98 SE and the Nvidia GeForce 7xxx series.

I question the legitimacy of that article, but it's all just speculation until the CPUs come out. I don't run any version of Windows after XP myself, but I might just have to do an experimental install of Windows 7 on a Kaby Lake CPU if/when I get my hands on one. The question may not be "will it run" but rather "how well will it run?"

The bigger thing to worry about is the commercial (Ultra HD) Blu Ray players requiring these CPUs if these are where the AnyDVD developers get the decryption keys from. I think the minimum OS requirement for the commercial players when they first came out was Windows XP. It's probably a lot easier to snoop the keys out of the players memory with that old OS. The newer Windows OSes brought things like protected video/audio path and other security features that make it harder to get the keys. It would seem feasible that the new Ultra HD Blu Ray commercial players would require Windows 10, which probably has even more security features.

HDCP 2.2 is a feature of the video hardware on the new CPUs, but it is not exclusive to them. Other video cards from AMD and NVIDIA already support, or will soon support HDCP 2.2 as well. Again though, for our purposes as AnyDVD users, HDCP support on hardware is nothing to worry about. You don't want to backup your movies by breaking HDCP. Then you'd be talking about using HDMI capture cards, and either dumping a massive flood of data to your HDDs, or trying to encode that massive flood of data to H.264/H.265 in realtime. That's certainly not a method I want to use.

<<I question the legitimacy of that article, but it's all just speculation until the CPUs come out >>
Things can change rapidly and I think you are right-we will wait and see.

Not just Intel, either. From the article:

This will undoubtedly be a deeply unpopular move. But before you craft an angry email to Intel, you should probably know that Intel is not the one pushing the change. Microsoft is. Also, Qualcomm’s next-generation Snapdragon 8996 SOC and AMD’s upcoming Bristol Ridge APU will also not work with Windows 7.​

AACS are likely getting the hardware vendors on board. Want to support 4K Blu-rays? Put some restrictions on your hardware - they already did that by supporting HDCP in the graphics card hardware. Now they tighten the screws even more.

Oh well, it is an arms race and one side never wins for long. I am sure I will be able to continue to back up and format shift my legally purchased media in the future.

I don't know if this is any kind of conspiracy against piracy, it just seems to be the normal progress of the digital age.
After all I can no longer install any versions of Windows older than XP either on a host PC or as a VM.
I've tried a version of ME I still have and it just gets so far then stalls; seems to me we are just seeing the same kind of progress.
And the older PCs and CPUs and graphics cards are going to be around for years yet.

Back