• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Issues with BD Reduilder v.0.40.10 and AVCHD-Patcher 1.06

CaptainHawk1

Before anyone says it, I already registered at Doom9 and they have a five day waiting period before posting so I couldn't ask this question there.

Here's what's going on:

I'm trying to copy Doctor Who Series 5 and 6 BD Discs (Whole Discs) to 25 GB BD.

Downloaded latest version of BD Reduilder v.0.40.10 and all the recommended and current versions of all of the extra tools to make the software work properly. I followed all of the instructions to the letter and multiple times I have had error issues regarding incorrect VC-1 settings (which is rather strange considering that none of the instructions tell you to change that setting in FFDSHOW). I've changed the settings from disabled to either libavccodec or WMV9 (where as one setting worked on one and not the other) and resume the job and it completes fine.

I then burn with IMG BURN as instructed. It goes through the whole process without a hitch and IMG BURN verifies the disc. Then I test it by playing it in both my PS3 and standalone Sony BD player. Each disc goes through all of the adverts and FBI warnings, BBC splashscreens, etc. without a problem and the title menu is fine. I select play and the first chapter plays perfectly and then it freezes at the end of the first chapter and just locks up the player. I've had this happen with three different commercial discs that I have tried to copy from these sets.

The only thing I could think of that I wasn't doing was running AVCHD-Patcher so I downloaded v1.06 and attempted to run BD REBUILDER again and I didn't get an error message this time at all by keeping the VC-1 setting at WMV9. As instructed, I changed the setting from 200 to 100 on AVCHD-Patcher and I dragged and dropped the index.bdmv file and I get an error message that says "The file is not correct format." So, now I'm just punching myself in the face repeatedly.:confused:

My deal is that I'm just sick of trying to jump through hoops to make this happen. Each one of these discs takes several hours to make and I would appreciate any advice in how to make this work so I don't keep chasing my tail.:bang:

Thanks in advance! :D

EDIT: The Inspect Tool that comes with BD-Rebuilder confirms that everything is OK as well.

Last edited:
The first time you use BDRB you must run as administrator.Just right click on the blue icon run as admin a box will pop up and will say its not configured right and do you want BD to fix it for you. Click o k and your good to go.easy:rock:

I've never had to use 'AVCHD patcher' so I'm not sure why you are using it. This was only ever needed for a few discs when using really old firmware on the PS3 and should not be used with BD rebuilder. If you must use something that converts to AVCHD then you should use the 'Strict AVCHD' setting inside BD rebuilder, but I see no reason to use this setting here.

Do the discs play back fine on your PC?

The reason you don't get told to change the VC-1 settings is that as mentioned above, the first time you run BD rebuilder you get asked if you want to allow it to correct the settings on your system, if you say yes then everything should work fine.

When you rip the discs using AnyDVD what settings are you using?

Last edited:
The first time you use BDRB you must run as administrator.Just right click on the blue icon run as admin a box will pop up and will say its not configured right and do you want BD to fix it for you. Click o k and your good to go.easy:rock:

Maybe I should have mentioned this but I'm running 64-bit Windows Vista and running it as Admin is only recommended for Windows 7 (and that's only on Doom9. There's no mention of that whatsoever in the "Read Me" file). I'm not disagreeing as that being the course of action but I'm trying to make a point that there's a lot of conflicting and out-of-date instructions for this.

I've never had to use 'AVCHD patcher' so I'm not sure why you are using it. This was only ever needed for a few discs when using really old firmware on the PS3 and should not be used with BD rebuilder. If you must use something that converts to AVCHD then you should use the 'Strict AVCHD' setting inside BD rebuilder, but I see no reason to use this setting here.

Same reason I didn't run it in Admin first: conflicting information. Doesn't matter anyway, it doesn't work.

Do the discs play back fine on your PC?

Nope.

The reason you don't get told to change the VC-1 settings is that as mentioned above, the first time you run BD rebuilder you get asked if you want to allow it to correct the settings on your system, if you say yes then everything should work fine.

Again, we have case of conflicting information. There's nothing at Doom9 to indicate that and there's nothing in the "Read Me" file either.

When you rip the discs using AnyDVD what settings are you using?

I haven't been using AnyDVD to rip the discs, I've been using BD Rebuilder. I only attempted to use AnyDVD to rip one time and it came up with read errors and wouldn't rip. There's nothing wrong with any of these discs. They are spotless and mar free.

I really can't remember what settings I used in Any DVD. What settings should I be using to rip them and furthermore what settings should I be using in AnyDVD if I just wanted to use BD Rebuilder to rip them.

Thanks for your help!

I just ran it as Administrator and it did not ask if I want to allow it to correct the settings on my system.

Also, FYI, since I first started this thread, I did go and test the discs again and I found out that on each of the discs the issue with the whole thing freezing and locking up my system only happens on the first episode. If I go to the chapters (oddly, this series only ahs a "Play All" option with no way to access individual episodes except through chapter select) of the other episodes they play fine.

Again, thanks for all of your help.:D

you should have AnyDVD set to 'default' when using BD rebuilder, also it's recommended to rip to hard drive first then run it through BD rebuilder otherwise if you get any read errors it can cause a corrupt encode or cause the encode to fail

If the discs won't rip with AnyDVD then either the disc are dirty/faulty or you have a failing drive. Blu-ray discs should never give a read error, if they do then there's something wrong with it, and saying they are 'spotless and mar free' means nothing, the disc could have a thin layer of oily film on it from the manufacturing process or be a bad pressing.

I'd try ripping 1 of the disc to the harddrive with AnyDVD set to 'default', and then try running that through BD rebuilder

Last edited:
you should have AnyDVD set to 'default' when using BD rebuilder, also it's recommended to rip to hard drive first then run it through BD rebuilder otherwise if you get any read errors it can cause a corrupt encode or cause the encode to fail

If the discs won't rip with AnyDVD then either the disc are dirty/faulty or you have a failing drive. Blu-ray discs should never give a read error, if they do then there's something wrong with it, and saying they are 'spotless and mar free' means nothing, the disc could have a thin layer of oily film on it from the manufacturing process or be a bad pressing.

I'd try ripping 1 of the disc to the harddrive with AnyDVD set to 'default', and then try running that through BD rebuilder

I'm going to test these again but, for the record I've cleaned the discs and it's nigh-impossible that both (series five and series six)sets have manufacturing errors.

Also, they rip with BD Rebuilder without read errors. So if it rips with one, shouldn't it rip with another? I'm just asking because I don't know, I'm not trying to be adversarial. I don't understand the any of the technical issues surrounding this but I'm very good at following instructions and pressing buttons so I can muddle my way through, usually.

Thanks again and thanks for your patience.

BD rebuilder doesn't rip discs, it encodes them so it's not the same, as it doesn't need to read everything on the disc

Blu-ray's don't contain structural protection so you can always copy a Blu-ray even if you leave the copy protection on. If you get read errors then it always means you have either a faulty drive or a faulty/dirty disc

You need to go to the AnyDVD HD forum and read the sticky called 'READ errors on Blu-rays?'

I haven't been using AnyDVD to rip the discs, I've been using BD Rebuilder. I only attempted to use AnyDVD to rip one time and it came up with read errors and wouldn't rip. There's nothing wrong with any of these discs. They are spotless and mar free.

Thanks for your help!

I agree with Adbear that most likely the disk is bad or a drive is failing. BDRebuilder is not a decoder and if AnyDVD is flagging errors then it's a problem with the disk or the optical drive itself.

Always rip video to a hard drive before processing further with BD-Rebuilder or anything else. Never try to re-encode an original disk directly to HDD or another BD-R unless you want to deal with major headaches that you seem to be experiencing.

BTW, don't expect JDobbs to give you special attention just because you are in such a hurry, after all, this is freeware. But it's not AnyDVD. You still need AnyDVD to decode the disk before you start using BDRebulder or anything else to edit it. Slow down and you will learn , or at least I hope you have learned more since your last post:)

Last edited:
Back