• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

ISO much bigger than HDD Folder?

nrmsmith

Just tried ripping a backup of my copy of Independance Day (ID4) using ANyDVD HD. First I made an ISO from with AnyDVD using the default settings, and it was exactly the same size as the disc (46.6GB). When I came to write this ISO to a 50GB BD-RE; ImgBurn complained that the file was too big for the blu-ray medium (!); yet it said that it would fit OK onto a 50GB BD-R disc.

So, it appears that BD-RE disks have slightly less available space than BD-R similar to CD Audio discs; no surprise there. But then, out of interest I re-ripped the original using the "Rip DVD Video to HDD option". I ended up with a total folder content of 37.3 GB. Why is this? Did it not rip the blu-ray properly?

probably u ripped with .dvd files also incleded in there ?
just a guess

Nothing extra I can see. Strange thing is I investigated the size of the content of each folder & subfolder on both the HHD rip, and the ISO rip (mounted in Virtual CloneDrive), and each gave the identical content.

Well, anyway the bluray disc plays OK on my Panasonic BD-30 and all the content appears to be there, so I guess there's not a problem just a puzzle. Perhaps it's a Windows thing?

BTW, BD-R DL discs in the UK are stupidly priced at the moment, of the order of £30 each. But I just bought a batch of TDK x4 speed BD-R DL discs directly from Japan and they worked out at £8-£9 [even allowing for Gordon Brown's GBP:) ]

When you rip as ISO, you get an exact same size as the original disc, if you were to browse the original and get the properties for the BDMV folder you'll find that it's usually a lot smaller, this is because when you make an ISO it can include any empty space the original disc may have had on it. Whereas ripping to folder removes the empty space.
I was also under the assumption that BD-R/Re's were smaller than BD-ROM's until someone told me how to get round it. In Imgburn go to 'Options' then the 'write' tab and and on the right hand side tick 'Prefer format without spare areas' This will then allow the full ISO to fit on the disc. On pre formated BD-re's you may need to reformat after this option is ticked and may have to do a slow format. Since ticking that box I've found that previous films that actually use the full space now fit

When you rip as ISO, you get an exact same size as the original disc, if you were to browse the original and get the properties for the BDMV folder you'll find that it's usually a lot smaller, this is because when you make an ISO it can include any empty space the original disc may have had on it. Whereas ripping to folder removes the empty space.
I was also under the assumption that BD-R/Re's were smaller than BD-ROM's until someone told me how to get round it. In Imgburn go to 'Options' then the 'write' tab and and on the right hand side tick 'Prefer format without spare areas' This will then allow the full ISO to fit on the disc. On pre formated BD-re's you may need to reformat after this option is ticked and may have to do a slow format. Since ticking that box I've found that previous films that actually use the full space now fit

So how do you do a slow format in ImgBurn? I don't see that choice anywhere.:confused:

It may do it automatically in Imgburn. Just try it and see what happens.
Or go to 'Tools', 'Drive', 'Erase disc' 'Full'

Last edited:
It may do it automatically in Imgburn. Just try it and see what happens.
Or go to 'Tools', 'Drive', 'Erase disc' 'Full'

The full erase in ImgBurn did the trick--took a little over three hours. The disc went from 45.1 GB to 46.6 GB (50,050,629,632 bytes). By automatic, do you mean it might be able to format in this way on the fly while burning a movie that otherwise would be too large for the old formatted way? If not this, then what way would it automatically do this?

Thanks for the information.

Back