• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Is there any loss using DVD +R vs DVD +R DL?

steviegt

I have been using only the Verbatim DVD +R DL exclusively for my movies. I really want something cheaper. If I start using DVD +R for movies 2hrs or less, am I losing anything or risking anything by using just the +R instead of the DL?

I have been using only the Verbatim DVD +R DL exclusively for my movies. I really want something cheaper. If I start using DVD +R for movies 2hrs or less, am I losing anything or risking anything by using just the +R instead of the DL?

Do not create nor post in multiple threads about the exact same thing, please. Click the link in my signature, and read fully. Thank you

Yeah, you're losing video quality since you'll have to compress.

Last edited:
I'm sorry about the duplicate post. I don't post very often and for whatever reason once I created the first post, I didn't feel comfortable it was in the right place and thought maybe I wouldn't get an answer. I looked but there was no way to delete it. I give you my word, it won't happen again. I read the posting rules in full. :bowdown:

This is the first time I've looked at the different types of discs. Sorry if these are dumb questions. The package for the DVD +R's say 4.7GB and 120 minutes. Is that not accurate? If the movie being backed up is less than 2 hours, do you still have to compress? If not, will there still be a loss of video quality? If so, I will keep using DVD +R DL. :confused:

Thanks for your help and understanding.

Last edited:
This is the first time I've looked at the different types of discs. Sorry if these are dumb questions. The package for the DVD +R's say 4.7GB

That's accurate

and 120 minutes

That's not

If the movie being backed up is less than 2 hours, do you still have to compress?

You may, depending on the amount of data the movie takes up.

If not, will there still be a loss of video quality?

If you don't have to compress, you won't lose anything. Otherwise, you will.

In your experience, is there alot of movies that are under 2 hours that exceed the space limit? Is it really worth while keeping a stock of DVD +R's on hand?

It depends on how much stuff you are willing to remove from the movie (trailer, menu, audio tracks). And then it depends on which class of movies you prefer. Lower class movies usually have less features rather than more merchandised ones. Also the latter are usually less compressed so they consume more space. From my collection I can tell you the ratio of DVD-5 disks to DVD-9 disks is about 1 to 3.

DVD-5 (4.7gb) max
DVD-9 DL (8.5gb) max

As a very general guide no more than 10% to 15% compression if you want to keep the source video quality.

After the rip and you have removed all the not needed audio and subtitles, see how big in GB the movie only is and determine which blank disk to put the back-up movie on. No compression is the BEST WAY TO GO.

If you decide you need the DVD-9 (8.5gb) for space when burning with Imgburn let Imgburn tell you the best location for the layer break and select that one.
:)

Back