• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Is Game Jackal compatible with VMWare?

ferian

Hi all,

I'm new at this forum and new if it comes to using Game Jackal.
Last day I installed purchased it and installed it, because it is the right tool that i need (my sons do keep on breaking too many game cd/dvd's). I did try the trial version 1st on a windows 7 machine. No problems there. The purchased version is running on the same machine, but in this case in a VMWare windows xp sp2 environment. Game Jackal does start, but as soon as I try to make a profile for Call of Duty 1, then it keeps on staying long time at "Building image data...". I did cut it off after 1 hour. Does anyone know if game jackal is compatible with vmware?

Thanks in advance
Marlon

Hmmmmmm

I wouldnt think games can even run in vmware.
Are you not using the vmtools for the video card or something?

I also dont know about emulating an 'emulated' cd/dvd drive (vmware 'attaches' to the drive, but as far as I know does not have a real direct connection).

Thanks for your reply dave.

I wouldnt think games can even run in vmware.
Are you not using the vmtools for the video card or something?

I have several games running under vmware. Even with usb game controllers active. There is not really a limitation on doing that. At least did i not find them yet. I use vmware cos some games won't run under windows 7 (e.g. blazing angels 2). Also do i often uninstal a game if not used anymore. Installing and uninstalling always makes computers slow. With vmware it's just a simple matter of putting back the vmware image, without losing all other data. No traces left.

I also dont know about emulating an 'emulated' cd/dvd drive (vmware 'attaches' to the drive, but as far as I know does not have a real direct connection).

The operating system does not see that the cd/dvd drive is emulated. Actually it isn't. It's just "forwarded".

Thanks for your reply dave.

I have several games running under vmware. Even with usb game controllers active. There is not really a limitation on doing that. At least did i not find them yet. I use vmware cos some games won't run under windows 7 (e.g. blazing angels 2). Also do i often uninstal a game if not used anymore. Installing and uninstalling always makes computers slow. With vmware it's just a simple matter of putting back the vmware image, without losing all other data. No traces left.

Yeah.
I use vmware at work all the time.
But, I have tried to install some games on win98se image, and it wouldnt install. Something about a video driver. But, I think there is a 'use real hardware' option, that I never tried.
Images can get VERY large though.
And, since I game online (FPS twitch games), having vm taking up some of my network bandwidth just isnt going to happen.
Maybe I can test this on my work machine though.
:)

I got it to work now under vmware. I made a mistake when creating the game jackal profile for call of duty. That was why it took so long. I had selected the "Automatic (any game)" profile map and not the available "call of duty" profile map. In the first case it took all together almost 5 hours to create the profile, though the profile was not runnable. After deleting it and re-created it with the "call of duty" profile map it only took a few minutes (didn't time it) and the profile works :)

Yeah.
I use vmware at work all the time.
But, I have tried to install some games on win98se image, and it wouldnt install. Something about a video driver. But, I think there is a 'use real hardware' option, that I never tried.

That kind of problem does occur because with vmware the screen resolution is fixed to the resolution of the host computer. This is indeed an issue when running games under vmware. For some games if the resolution of the game is less than the host resolution, then the game picture will be centered in the screen with black borders filling up the rest of it. The game will then look small on a big wide screen :(
If the game can not start with vmware because it can't switch the display resolution, then you can still try it by changing the resolution of the host machine to the resolution compatible with the game. That sometimes works, though it does mess up the desktop icon positions on the host machine.

Images can get VERY large though.

Yeah i noticed that

And, since I game online (FPS twitch games), having vm taking up some of my network bandwidth just isnt going to happen.
Maybe I can test this on my work machine though.
:)

Don't worry too much about vmware taking up some of your bandwidth. If you play the game on within vmware, then the host is actually doing not much. Meaning the host will not consume bandwidth. Almost all bandwidth will be available for the game.

How to run Blazing Angels 2 in VMware Player?

I use vmware cos some games won't run under windows 7 (e.g. blazing angels 2).

In case you are still around after that couple of years: could you please explain how you managed to get BA2 running in VMware?

Here, the graphics card is not found, thus it won't start ("can not initialize 3D engine"). I suppose the problem is the #!$§@ NVIDIA Optimus technology, although I advised the host side of course to utilize the NVIDIA chipset for VMware.

I'm using the current VMware Player 6.0.1, usage of accelerated 3D graphics is enabled.

The computer is a Corei7-3540M based notebook with 3 GHz and a GeForce 660M graphics board running Windows 7 Pro/64 bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back