• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Invalid block start code - ??

jim2664258

I am having trouble copying a title from a TV series DVD. Everything else works with no problems except for one of the titles. As soon as I click that title, I see this error message and I cannot continue:

screenshot_zps7df93044.gif

Any ideas? Thanks. I have tried taking the disc out and re-inserting it, and also restarting CloneDVDMobile. The disc is brand new and doesn't have any scratches or blemishes on it.

Running Windows 7 Home, AnyDVD 7.1.8.0. Guess I will try the CloneDVDMobile beta while I am waiting for a response.

Last edited:
Post an Anydvd .zip log file

a) Ensure Anydvd is running.
b) Put the problematic original movie dvd in your burner. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
c) Right click the red fox icon on your system tray.
d) Select "Create Logfile"
e) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
f) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
g) Windows Explorer will open, and you will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
h) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like (in other words, look for the paperclip after clicking "quote" or when creating a new thread)
i) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
x) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
j) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
k) click "upload"
l) Close the window. When you submit reply, or submit a new thread, the .zip file will be attached automatically for us to take a look at

Edited to add:

Ignore the above, just download the latest beta. As James pointed out it addresses the problem.

Last edited:
Post an Anydvd .zip log file

No, just use the latest CloneDVD mobile beta, which - according to the changelog - specifically addresses this problem.

No, just use the latest CloneDVD mobile beta, which - according to the changelog - specifically addresses this problem.

Thank you, James, nice to see that things were already taken care of. I'll modify my post.

No, the beta did not take care of the problem, and it is occurring on two different Windows 7 machines (same disc, same title). I ripped the disc to hard disk using AnyDVD, and then it works fine when I use CloneDVDMobile against the copy on the hard disk.

Log file attached.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.1.8.0_Info_D_LP.zip
    140.5 KB · Views: 7
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Media is not CSS protected

To minimise future problems, you may want to set your drive region code...

i. Right click the fox on your toolbar. Exit Anydvd
ii. Click start. Right click on "My computer"--->select "properties".
iii.Click on the 'Hardware' tab--->click the 'device manager' button.
iv. Open the dvd/cdrom branch---> right click on your optical drive
v. Click "properties".
vi. You should have a region tab. From there you can select a region.
vii. Select the region that you're in
viii. Start Anydvd

As your problematic DVD appears not to be protected, you can disable/exit AnyDVD for it.

Last edited:
Assuming the above post was for me, I can assure you the disc is copy-protected and the properties for my drive show it is set to Region 1, as it should be. Since that came from the AnyDVD log, it sounds like this is an AnyDVD problem, not CloneDVDMobile. I am curious what that log file looks like for a title that works on the same disc.

I am going to try the AnyDVD 7.1.8.2 beta and see if it helps. This disc does take awhile for AnyDVD to scan, I have seen that with some discs before but never had any problems.

I was mistaken, this DVD does not have any copy-protection but I am shocked to see that as it is a commercially-available DVD. If I run CloneDVDMobile without AnyDVD running, I still get the 'Invalid block start code' message as I posted in my first screen shot.

And I spoke too soon on working around the problem by ripping the disc to my hard drive, then running DVDMobile. It gets practically 100% done before a message saying ffmpeg has had a problem and must close. The file is created, but it is not playable.

I am back to thinking the issue is in CloneDVDMobile, or this particular media has a problem. The title in question plays fine when I play it in a DVD player.

I will try copying the disc to my hard drive using the 7.1.8.2 beta version of AnyDVD and see if that makes any difference. The AnyDVD log still says my drive has no Region code, but it does. Also, this same title fails on two separate machines. As I said, I guess it could be the physical media or the disc structure on this particular media.

The AnyDVD log still says my drive has no Region code, but it does.

If AnyDVD reports not set! either via the information window for new media or logfile, then it's not set! ;)

Did you EXIT AnyDVD first before changing the drive region code? (Right-click on tray icon>Exit):

ExitAnyDVD_20130429_19h31m02s_001__zps1e975c05.jpg

If AnyDVD is running, the change will not work.
If you see something like this...

20130429_19h45m34s_003_TSSTcorpCD-DVDWTS-T632AProperties_zps8c0f7a04.jpg

...and AnyDVD says not set!, you get the idea...

I will try copying the disc to my hard drive using the 7.1.8.2 beta version of AnyDVD.

If the disc has NO PROTECTION, AnyDVD can be disabled (no check mark/tick):

DisableAnyDVD_20130429_19h40m09s_002__zpsfc0a3843.jpg

You should still be able to use AnyDVD to rip.

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying, but as I stated before my drive is and always was set to Region 1. I did not have to stop/restart AnyDVD because it was *always* set to Region 1. I have a screenshot below.

ss2_zpsd6784f98.gif

I cannot explain why AnyDVD reports the region is not set, but I have ripped many DVDs and the only one I have ever had trouble with is this one title on this one disc. If the region was really the issue, nothing would work.

So, I just finished ripping the title to hard disk using the beta 7.1.8.2 and it finished. Tried creating an mp4 using CloneDVDMobile and this time I did not get the error about ffmpeg crashing. However, the file is not playable with any program I have tried.

Again, only this one title on this disc displays this behavior. *Also please note: since the disc is not copy-protected, I can rip it using CloneDVDMobile without AnyDVD running and it fails with the same 'start block error'. I really don't think AnyDVD is involved here.

I've attached the transcoder log for this last attempt from CloneDVDMobile here.

Attachments

• log.zip
    32.1 KB · Views: 2
I understand what you are saying, but as I stated before my drive is and always was set to Region 1. I did not have to stop/restart AnyDVD because it was *always* set to Region 1. I have a screenshot below.

ss2_zpsd6784f98.gif

I cannot explain why AnyDVD reports the region is not set, but I have ripped many DVDs and the only one I have ever had trouble with is this one title on this one disc. If the region was really the issue, nothing would work.

Please completely exit AnyDVD and then take a new screenshot of the drive properties again showing the drive region. Please just humour me.

If you check the drive's region while AnyDVD is running then Windows "sees" the region as set. That is a KNOWN condition. It is not an error, it is the way AnyDVD works while trying to decrypt a DVD. AnyDVD notes the region BEFORE it passes any information to Windows, after decryption AnyDVD reports the drive's region as being set even if it isn't.

You need to EXIT AnyDVD before you check/set the drive's region.

If you check the drive's region while AnyDVD is running then Windows "sees" the region as set. That is a KNOWN condition. It is not an error, it is the way AnyDVD works while trying to decrypt a DVD. AnyDVD notes the region BEFORE it passes any information to Windows, after decryption AnyDVD reports the drive's region as being set even if it isn't.

You need to EXIT AnyDVD before you check/set the drive's region.

Ah, thank you for that explanation, no way I could have known that. I am far more receptive to this as the issue now, but I am very surprised I have not encountered this issue for any other disc/title in this same series.

I will check on this when I get home and report the results back.

Argh, no luck. The region was indeed not set without AnyDVD running. I set it to Region 1 but it still acts the same way, same 'Invalid block start code' message on that one title.

I quit AnyDVD, assigned the region to the drive, rebooted. Verified the region for the DVD is still set to Region 1. Ran CloneDVDMobile without starting AnyDVD and got the error message as soon as I select that title. Started AnyDVD and retried, no difference. This is on two different computers too.

I guess I am still perplexed at why it's only one title on one disc having this issue.

Argh, no luck. The region was indeed not set without AnyDVD running. I set it to Region 1 but it still acts the same way, same 'Invalid block start code' message on that one title.

I quit AnyDVD, assigned the region to the drive, rebooted. Verified the region for the DVD is still set to Region 1. Ran CloneDVDMobile without starting AnyDVD and got the error message as soon as I select that title. Started AnyDVD and retried, no difference. This is on two different computers too.

I guess I am still perplexed at why it's only one title on one disc having this issue.

Ok, try updating to the latest betas of AnyDVD and CloneDVD Mobile now that you have successfully set the drive's region, AnyDVD (HD) 7.1.8.2 beta & CloneDVD mobile 1.9.0.2 beta.

If you still get the invalid block start code with the latest betas installed then create a new AnyDVD log and attach here.

Last edited:
Same error after upgrading both (rebooted afterward). Log attached.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.1.8.2_Info_F_LP.zip
    148.7 KB · Views: 6
Same error after upgrading both (rebooted afterward). Log attached.

Taking a quick look at the AnyDVD log you might not need AnyDVD running to decrypt this disc, AnyDVD reports the disc as region free and no CSS. Try disabling/exiting AnyDVD and then running the disc through CDM. AnyDVD decrypting might actually be interfering with CDM with this disc by seeing protections that aren't actually there.

I suspect the disc might be bad or your drive just doesn't like this particular disc. To find out if it is the disc you could try copying the files from the disc in Windows Explorer. If a Windows copy throws an error then the disc is not going to be copyable on your system. If the files copy fine then you can use the files on your HD as input to CDM.

If you look back through this note trace, you will see I tried most of what you mentioned. I have not been running AnyDVD at all with this disc, there is no reason to. I only ran it to collect the log file. I get this error whether or not AnyDVD is running.

To me it looks more like CloneDVDMobile not being able to handle whatever they did on this disc, or it misidentified something and it is causing a problem. The other titles work fine on this disc. All the titles on the other discs in this set work fine. The title I am having problems with plays fine in a normal DVD player.

This behavior is repeatable on two separate Windows 7 machines. It is not hardware. My best guess is there is something in this disc structure that CloneDVDMobile does not handle. Everything points to that with everything I've done so far.

I'm pretty much giving up on this.

Conversion was successful

All finished. Thank you and bye bye.

at the end of the mobile log says it was successful.
Have you tried to play the file at all?
It may be that this serious authoring error is simply beyond the scope of the 1902 update. For sure, nothing will be done about this any time soon and we are sorry for the inconvenience. This DVD is anyway least likely a studio "new" issue.

Back