• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Inexpensive BlueRay Reader

GreenJelly

Im looking for a BlueRay Reader (I dont need to write cause Im not coping the movies). I dont understand why I cant find anything other then

Pioneer BDC-202
or the retail Pioneer BDC-502

Does this drive work well. I know Ive heard some issues with some pioneer drives... just didnt read the post as well as I should of!

I`m currently using a Pioneer BDC 2202 Blu Ray read only drive and it works perfectly with AnyDVDHd and PowerDVD Ultra. Bought mine on Ebay a month ago. A SATA connection is required. Reads commercial Blu Ray DVD, DVD, CD but only writes DVD and CD.

There are NO inexpensive units available and there won't be until the format controversy is settled. Give it a year or more and you will see some lower prices.

And speaking of the format issue. DON'T BUY INTO BLUERAY !!

The "extra capacity" is all marketing - both BlueRay and HD-DVD have more than enough room to hold a film in true hi-def. Sony has been a notorious "criminal" when it comes to unfair protection schemes. No reason in the WORLD to support them in a format war.

This isn't just my position, it's the position of Slysoft as well - as seen in several threads.
Also, I get the impression that Slysoft will always handle HD-DVD issues first, Sony 2nd.

So if you want ease of use and long term stability... get an HD-DVD reader.

-W

Last edited:
Well I hope HD-DVD does win the battle, but I dont want to wait for HD Content, are you saying that allot of BR content is not supported?

BR just came out with yet ANOTHER new encyption scheme that is not *yet* supported. If you "don't want to wait" then think twice about Blu-Ray, Sony will just keep piling the junk in there and cause continual delays in cracking newer schemes. Slysoft has stated that, as a matter of procedure, it'll deal with HD-DVD issues before Blu-Ray issues - all else being equel. And I agree with them 100%

Better to live with the HD-DVD content available now, and boycot Sony, than to contribute to the problem.
When Blu-Ray loses support - the content WILL shift.
Patiance is a virtue.

-W

The simple fact that Blu-Ray can continue to advance their copyright protection scheme maybe the reason why it works. Dispite our demands, the move companies have a different Idea, and the failure to accurately provide a strong protection method maybe the main problem.

I will continue to use HD over Blueray, but when given no choice, I will want to goto blueray. I hope Slysoft and the people working on these issues can solve the problems.

As for my Idea on BR's additional space requirements... In the end it will just take up more server space... and I dont really appreciate that.

Agreed... but Blu-Ray isn't offering increased protection, they are only offering the illusion of increased protection. And charging a premium for it to boot. Every single disc-protection sytem known to man has been cracked. And will continue to be cracked.

The difference is that Sony has at least twice shown themselves to go so far in the area of protection as to render the discs unplayable on many players!!

The more astute studios will not pay Sony premiums. I already see a trend of studios alligning with HD-DVD. I hope it continues.

F-Sony!! REMEMBER BETAMAX!!!!

-W

Back