• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question Incomplete rip of Untouchables S2V1 disk 1

nasruddin

This dvd set is an old library 4 disc set. I was able to copy the 4 episodes on disc 1 with MakeMKV (I think - haven't watched all of them), but AnyDVD fails at 99% on the slider, & with what looks like most of the disc copied. Handbrake can't make much use of what it does, nor can VLC , so something is broken. Tried multiple players, cleaning &c. The disc is obviously worn but doesn't look terrible.
The other 3 discs in the set seem ok.
What's wrong, & why is the 7GB or so that was successfully copied more or less unusable - could it be repaired?

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.7.1.0_Info_E_UNTOUCHABLES_S2_VOL_1_DISC_1.ziplog
    201.9 KB · Views: 3
This dvd set is an old library 4 disc set. I was able to copy the 4 episodes on disc 1 with MakeMKV (I think - haven't watched all of them), but AnyDVD fails at 99% on the slider, & with what looks like most of the disc copied. Handbrake can't make much use of what it does, nor can VLC , so something is broken. Tried multiple players, cleaning &c. The disc is obviously worn but doesn't look terrible.
What's wrong, & why is the 7GB or so that was successfully copied more or less unusable - could it be repaired?

I'm looking at the log file, and I'm not the super expert here, but.

AI scan forced, heuristic scan detected no protection!
Try to set it to automatic.
1713855030081.png

It also shows: WARNING: Read errors on disc!
Try to use CloneDVD to make a copy of the DVD.
That might help you to see better where the error occurs.

Your disc and / or drive is dirty and / or defective.

Thanks for the feedback.
Settings show the scan is set to "Automatic"

I think it's most likely this disc is defective (it is scratched up - pretty typical library disc - but so is the rest of the set) or more likely, somewhat damaged.
I don't think the drives are at fault. They can handle everything else but neither drive likes this disc.

It looks like anydvd can't produce .bup files - this is what the copy directory looks like:
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_0.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_01_3.VOB
VTS_01_4.VOB
VTS_01_5.VOB
VTS_01_6.VOB
VTS_01_7.VOB
VTS_01_8.VOB
VTS_02_0.VOB
VTS_02_1.VOB
VTS_03_0.VOB
VTS_03_1.VOB

No video expert here, but no indices - probably why handbrake doesn't like this very much.

I can see the .ifo/.bup files on the disc with anydvd running, so I just copied them over - now handbrake can make sense of the rip.
I'll have to run an encode to be sure but I think this is workable now. I think the error that stops anydvd ripper is in a preview file.
(The last VOB file above.) It seems like the preview file itself plays fine too!

Perhaps anydvd ripper developers could consider copying these index files first or some other strategy to avoid losing a 99% done copy?

Handbrake re-encoding was quite satisfactory. It does show an error on the very last file in its logfile, but it encoded this piece - it has the same length/content as the on-disc version. Since it's a trailer, not much concern.

Back