• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How does Game Jackal handle SecuROM's activation?

Kurbster

Just wanna know how Game Jackal currently handles SecuROM games that use online activation (Spore, Mass Effect.) Seeing as to how SecuROM already detects burned games, the online activation only pisses off legitimate customers.

Any plans soon to be able to trick the activation system? :3

Just wanna know how Game Jackal currently handles SecuROM games that use online activation (Spore, Mass Effect.) Seeing as to how SecuROM already detects burned games, the online activation only pisses off legitimate customers.

Any plans soon to be able to trick the activation system? :3

I'm pretty sure there are no plans. There's nothing Game Jackal can do about that. The activation is server based. The goal of Game Jackal is to ensure you don't need the original disc in your drive, and those games don't require the original disc in your drive.

Last edited:
I always thought Game Jackal was here to bypass restrictive DRM....well....this is a hell of a lot worse than any CD checking out there (and annoying to say the least)

I bet you would see a ton of activity if such thing is implemented (and considering how thick-headed EA is, you have alot of time to do it :p )

Last edited:
I always thought Game Jackal was here to bypass restrictive DRM

Only insofar as the original disc doesn't need to be in your drive . . . Again, the activation stuff is all server based (and if you don't activate, you also cannot legitimately access/share/download the other online content; Game Jackal's goal is not to restrict users from features).

I bet you would see a ton of activity if such thing is implemented (and considering how thick-headed EA is, you have alot of time to do it :p )

Electronic Arts has increased the activation limit to 5 and is also implementing a deactivation tool. While far from perfect, that's way better than what they had originally planned for Spore.

Hmmm interesting article. What is even more interesting is...
Similarities will no doubt be drawn between this and the Sony BMG rootkit case, in which the Federal Trade Commission ruled last year that the company couldn't install hidden software on users' computers without their permission. KamberEdelson, which commonly covers class-action technology cases, is the same firm that led the rootkit suit. And perhaps more ironically, the SecuROM software that EA uses with Spore was developed by Sony.
Securom hides registry entries... I wonder how this will be viewed by the Federal Trade Commission.

well microsoft also hide registry entries, so its hardly something new is it :)

well microsoft also hide registry entries, so its hardly something new is it :)

My comment was made in light of the commissions findings into the root kit fiasco... not the fact that this is a new thing.

ah, though the rootkit thing was from music or something wasn't it, i mean, it wasn't from a game, even tages etc have their own variants of activation and it seems the days of the cd/dvd are numbered, with the current flood of publishers (ea mainly) going the online activation root... an interesting development and it certaintly throws the 'my dog ate my cd / my cd got scratched etc' excuses out the window, but seems to cause more support issues when the activation fails

Back