• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question How can you show subtitle ONLY for non-English portion of video

elkhornsun

Hi,

Is there a way to 'download' a movie, which has both English (main language selected) and 'other languages' spoken throughout, such that the subtitles only appear in the 'non-English' portion of the video?

Example - Netflix - Bon Cop Bad Cop 2

And what are the differences between selecting

- Subtitles - English Assistive and English Forced

And what are the differences in 'Settings->Download->Subtitles->

Embedded
SRT File
TTML File

Thanks

Attachments

• redfox-subtitle.JPG
    redfox-subtitle.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 4
And what are the differences in 'Settings->Download->Subtitles->

Embedded
SRT File
TTML File
That is the way how the subs are getting stored. Embedded means they get combined with the .mp4 file, so you just have one file and no clutter. However, that also means you can't edit it easily. That's what .srt and .ttml are for, they are seperate files that get saved in addition to the .mp4 file and it is more easy to view and edit them. Not impossible to do with embedded of course, but then you have to import the whole .mp4 and merge it again when you want to save it (at least I think, I never tried but I assume it is the case.)

- Subtitles - English Assistive and English Forced
The assistive subs are for the people who can't hear properly anymore, with stuff like (opens door), (musik), (loud bang) etc. The forced subs are things that are in other languages. For example, if they speak elvish and the dark tounge in Lotr and Hobbit. Or some road/door signs in another languag. But they are not always there. There can be movies where the guy speaks spanish or whatever and there are no subs for it...
And sometimes there are no subs at all because these things are burned it. It is just hit and miss here. Sometimes you get a good file, sometimes not. It all depends on what the provider and the publisher decided to do (or not to do...).

Is there a way to 'download' a movie, which has both English (main language selected) and 'other languages' spoken throughout, such that the subtitles only appear in the 'non-English' portion of the video?
As for your main question, the non-english stuff is mostly in the forced subs, but when I understand your question correctly, you want both of them combined? Then you should download them as external files and then combine them with a program to edit subs, like Aegisub or Subtitle Edit. You can just copy and paste it then, as the timing ensures they are shown in correct order and you don't need to sort the lines.

Thanks to all for your comments and clarification of selection choices.

It turned out, that when playing an MP4 on my ROKU - when I had downloaded subtitles as an SRT file -- I got the result I wanted. Subtitles ONLY appeared when the secondary language was being spoken, and where English was my primary audio selection

This is all so AWESOME -- it AS works like I would hope it would work!!! THANKS AS development

Back