• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How can an Anystream file be made into a playable format useable in a Blu-ray player

Recreational User

Hello everyone,

Maybe it is common knowledge to know how to make a playable format/disc for playback with a standalone Blu-ray player. I haven't figured it out yet or found a software program to make it possible. I would greatly appreciate be taught how to do so.

Please post the player model you are asking about, maybe the others can give you more details with that information.

I could tell you some programs like Handbrake, BD Rebuilder, ffmpeg and more, but since I have not that much experience there I cannot give you many details. The programm I use to burn in subtitles is called Shana encoder, you could also use Handbrake to do so but I think Shana is easier to do so and also Handbrake did not work well, it destroyed the given subtitle styles.

Only one thing to note, you have to merge the video file and the subtitle file, otherwise Shana will not find it for whatever reason. I have seen that it should work if the subtitles are the same filename as the video, but I always add some things to the subtitle filename so it is not possible there.

Hello everyone,

Maybe it is common knowledge to know how to make a playable format/disc for playback with a standalone Blu-ray player. I haven't figured it out yet or found a software program to make it possible. I would greatly appreciate be taught how to do so.
I’m perplexed that you want to take an MP4 and author it into a Blu-ray Disc. That would be VERY time consuming for you and offers very little benefit… in my opinion.
Most, if not all Blu-ray players support video playback from a USB storage device, although not a pretty way to access content. However, your Blu-ray player likely supports MP4 file playback. This allows you to load up a USB drive and play your content.
I would recommend that…
However, if that’s what you still want to do… this might help.

As zero269 said, most Blu-ray players support reading many file formats as plain data. They support it at least from a USB storage device. I never tried out to burn plain data onto a disc and try that, too.

If you want to go the extra step and author a real video disc with menu, the main problem with your current file will be that the audio is in AAC while the Blu-ray specification only supports PCM, AC3 and DTS and that the subtitles (if any) are in a wrong format. Blu-ray has it's very unique subtitle format that is based on pictures instead of text. I think it may also still support the Closed Captions text format which was common on DVDs but I don't know for sure. But it needs to be converted nevertheless.

The video material, when in H.264 (also known as AVC), will be directly compatible if the source has exactly the dimensions 1920×1080 pixels, so then you only need a tool to convert the audio and subtitles and then remux it back together. But if black borders on the video material are missing, those have to be added back, resulting in an extra time-consuming video encoding step.

As for what freeware tools will be the best, I don't know. I think Handbrake will be a good choice. If it doesn't work for subtitles, there's the special tool Subtitle Edit that supports exporting to Blu-ray sup format. But then you are still out of any menu and have to create the final blu-ray folder/file structure with some tool and when I tried freeware tools in the past, I didn't find anything feasible.

I finally settled on buying TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6 which does everything automatic but still allows enough customizability that you can imitate your vision. Keep in mind that it re-encodes the video even for the slightest incompatibility even if 99% of all Blu-ray players would have had no problem with the source video. But therefor it's fully automatic and produces a nice Blu-ray with customizable menu very easily. And if it was encoded once, and you need to change something, just exchange the old input files with the new output files from first build and it will do the really fast remuxing when rebuilding the blu-ray again. If the process of imitating your vision takes longer, it allows saving the current project and returning at a later date.

I know of a program that you might find sufficient.
It takes your imported video-file and converts it to a compliant BD Folder-Structure (or .ISO, if you like)
It lacks the full menu authoring, but if you only want to burn your videos to disk, it's fine.
It's free, because still in beta (for like 10 years ;) )
I won't post any links, but you can google for "BDRebuilder" and get the most recent version from the doom9 forums.

Hello everyone,

If your BD player has an USB port you can put that file on a stick and play it. No conversion needed. Thread moved to correct forum section.

I know of a program that you might find sufficient.
It takes your imported video-file and converts it to a compliant BD Folder-Structure (or .ISO, if you like)
It lacks the full menu authoring, but if you only want to burn your videos to disk, it's fine.
It's free, because still in beta (for like 10 years ;) )
I won't post any links, but you can google for "BDRebuilder" and get the most recent version from the doom9 forums.
Yeah... There are a couple of programs but until today most choke on certain EAC3 audio formats or convert it down.

to be honest, I don't understand the conversion wish to Blu-Ray.
In my opinion it's better to let a media player (e.g. emby, Plex, ...) do this...no conversion needed...much more comfortable... <-- just my 2 cents.

Some might like a vintage touch :D
It depends on your personal preferences and if you don't have a computer next to your TV etc. I prefer to transfer everything to an external hard disc and play it from my Cloneoppo.

i usually just use nero recode for general use...... can shrink it down to a dvd or fit it to disk and playable in most bluray players in its native format, and allow for menu creation chapter creation add subs etc.....but im sure its more space efficient to just burn them as mp4s since most bluray players support mp4s

i usually just use nero recode for general use...... can shrink it down to a dvd or fit it to disk and playable in most bluray players in its native format, and allow for menu creation chapter creation add subs etc.....but im sure its more space efficient to just burn them as mp4s since most bluray players support mp4s

It's not that simple. MP4 is just a file container that supports a ton of codecs for both audio and video. Just because a player supports mp4 with MPEG4 video and MP3 audio, doesn't mean it supports an MP4 container with H264 video and DTS audio. Then there's the fact that an mp4 on a flash drive is normal. an MP4 on an optical disc (DVD/BD) without file conversion to disc structure, turns that MP4 on DVD into a "Data disc (data dvd)" and not a simple video dvd. there's very few players that can actually play a data disc.

It's not that simple. MP4 is just a file container that supports a ton of codecs for both audio and video. Just because a player supports mp4 with MPEG4 video and MP3 audio, doesn't mean it supports an MP4 container with H264 video and DTS audio. Then there's the fact that an mp4 on a flash drive is normal. an MP4 on an optical disc (DVD/BD) without file conversion to disc structure, turns that MP4 on DVD into a "Data disc (data dvd)" and not a simple video dvd. there's very few players that can actually play a data disc.

well with recode one could convert the video and audio to the proper formats and recode it back into an mp4 still.....or use handbrake with probably better results......my post earlier was more focused on burning to proper bluray or dvd formats and nero recode is pretty painless for a simple recode burn

as for mp4 playability on disc: i have only done it a handful of times but it was with a dvd player (some cheap magnavox) playing mp4 files without issue....i couldnt tell you if they were mpeg4/mp3 format or otherwise though as i just stuck with the default settings in nero recode to convert dvds to mp4 and then put several movies on a single disc as mp4s and the player could read the files allowing me to skip to the next file etc...though it may be rare it is possible

Hello everyone. I am very happy that all of you have given me many options to check on. I understand the media player option very well and it's the easiest way to playback. BRBD us a very nice program and had proven very useful to me in the past pre my BD Clone useage days. I actually prefer it for Blu-ray compressing. I admin my copy of the program hasn't been updated in years because I stopped backing up my libraries that long ago.
I however am at a notive level and learning that many tries can still be unsuccessful. A few coasters here and there. Currently, I will on some weekends I do alittle with media files and it go well most times. I like learning more about the ways to payback and backup file greatly. I appreciate all of your everyone. I will be likely be at this this weekend.
I will post my experience afterwards on how things went. Thanks everyone for your support. It is nice to know that you are here help out

Hello everyone. I am very happy that all of you have given me many options to check on. I understand the media player option very well and it's the easiest way to playback. BRBD us a very nice program and had proven very useful to me in the past pre my BD Clone useage days. I actually prefer it for Blu-ray compressing. I admin my copy of the program hasn't been updated in years because I stopped backing up my libraries that long ago.
I however am at a notive level and learning that many tries can still be unsuccessful. A few coasters here and there. Currently, I will on some weekends I do alittle with media files and it go well most times. I like learning more about the ways to payback and backup file greatly. I appreciate all of your everyone. I will be likely be at this this weekend.
I will post my experience afterwards on how things went. Thanks everyone for your support. It is nice to know that you are here help out
Per my proof reading. I sent a post full of typos and missing words. Nonetheless, I hope that it shows that I have expressed my appreciation to your kind feedbacks.

Check if your BD player has an USB input and you are done.

Back