• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Hot Pursuit Blu-ray Won't Read

KYThrill

I can't get any version of Hot Pursuit to read in my HTPC. I have a retail disc, which didn't work (returned and a 2nd didn't work). I added it to my Netflix Queue and it didn't work, neither did a 2nd replacement. I just got the Redbox version, and it wouldn't read either.

I put it in my Asus drive and it sounds like it is reading, but it scans over and over (maybe a dozen times) and never lists the contents. Any DVD eventually says no disc is present. Turn off Any DVD and try MakeMKV, but my drive never accesses the disc, so I can never try to read it.

This is the first disc that I have ever had any kind of problem reading, but it seems to be something in the nature of the disc encoding. For some reason my ASUS just won't read it in any form.

If anyone has this disc, could you examine it to see if there is anything with the disc structure that may make it unreadable to some PC drives? I tried the 2nd Netflix disc in a PS4 and it worked perfectly.

Thanks!

They don't do things to make them not readable on a PC drive, that's not possible. If the drive (and subsequently the OS) doesn't get too see the disc with anydvd disabled is a defective disc. There's nothing more to it.

The fact that your 2nd copy did work proves that.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Check to see if there are any firmware updates for the drive, if not then look at possibly getting a new drive by Pioneer or LG as Asus drives have never been exactly good quality

About 1 month ago, I purchased a LG WH16NS40 read/write optical drive from the discount computer stores in region 1 for about $59. dollars. Very pleased with the unit, reads, writes, and burns very well with all software programs.

Almost purchased a spare for my other computer, at that price great deal. This new LG WH16NS40 was a replacement unit for my old LG that lasted for many years, when blu-ray optical drives first came out.

Also, very easy to do firmware updates from LG.
It does sound like an issue with the Asus drive since other drives have no problem with the same disc. fast eddie's suggestion for a replacement might well be advised. The drive he mentioned is presently being advertised for his mentioned price on Amazon (with free shipping). An added plus is that it will also burn M-discs which are the disc of choice for archiving data (available in single layer DVD and BD).

Last edited:
They don't do things to make them not readable on a PC drive, that's not possible. If the drive (and subsequently the OS) doesn't get too see the disc with anydvd disabled is a defective disc. There's nothing more to it.

The fact that your 2nd copy did work proves that.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

I don't believe they are defective discs. I had 5 discs from three different sources, and none of them worked. There is something about how that disc was authored that made it unreadable in my PC drive. The last three (one retail, one Netflix, one Redbox) all worked on a PS4 without a hitch (at least to get to the menu). It had no problem reading the disc though.

Check to see if there are any firmware updates for the drive, if not then look at possibly getting a new drive by Pioneer or LG as Asus drives have never been exactly good quality

Unfortunately, there are no firmware upgrades. Apparently Asus simply rebrands other companies drives. Mine is Firmware 1.00, which indicates it is a rebranded LG BH14NS40. 1.02 is for a different brand and 1.03 is for a LiteOn drive. Different firmware means different hardware.

Some can be flashed with the brand firmware (the LiteOn) and then get further updates. But that apparently doesn't work for the LG rebrand that I have.

FYI Update

I purchased the LG WH16NS40 and installed it as a 2nd drive on my PC. I still had a retail and Netflix copy out of the five discs tried.

The new LG drive read the discs in about 2 seconds. Put them back in the Asus drive and nothing but the disc spinning up and down until the no disc present message.

So Chevron was wrong. It was obviously some disc incompatibility with the Asus drive, which makes me wonder what it is. I've watched over 900 discs on the Asus and never had a single one give me a problem. They've all been compatible.

So I wonder what's new on Hot Pursuit that gave the Asus fits?

Then it's a dying drive more likely. There's no such thing as making a disc unreadable on pc's drives. That's just technically not possible.

Or it could be a borderline disc that works better in some drives than others. I see this all the time, not just with Blu-ray discs. I get driver discs shipped with laptops that won't always read in every drive so I always make a second copy for customers. My boss also gets rental discs that work on some drives and not others.
Getting multiple discs of the same film failing would imply a bad pressing that the Asus drive can't handle, if they are really just re-branded drives then it's possible the drive manufacturer fixed certain issue in firmware updates that Asus are not passing on which is why it's always better to buy a drive sold by the manufacturer and not re-branded. Asus have always had an awful rep when it came to Blu-ray drives

Last edited:
I think I'm getting this borderline disc issue with some of my blurays on my older LG drive.(n)

Back