• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Help - Is there any way to check mkv contaiuner info against its actual content

Steve55

This would probably be better in some other video forum but I'm only in this one, so I'll ask here. If the answer is known, Im pretty sure someone here will know.

For historical reasons, i have definitely ended up with mkv files where the header is wrong for the content. E.g. often wrong number of channels, but it seems other things like color space also.

Is there any software, or script, around that could automate the process of checking such things? I have tens of thousands of mkv files.

This would probably be better in some other video forum but I'm only in this one, so I'll ask here. If the answer is known, Im pretty sure someone here will know.

For historical reasons, i have definitely ended up with mkv files where the header is wrong for the content. E.g. often wrong number of channels, but it seems other things like color space also.

Is there any software, or script, around that could automate the process of checking such things? I have tens of thousands of mkv files.
Maybe mkvpropedit from MKVToolNix?
You might be able to create a batch / script file, which calls it in a loop for all your files...

Hi James, Thanks, yes I can definitely script mkvpropedit but it's not the problem to reset the headers, its identifying the files which have a problem (and all the possible problems, which especially in this audio stuff is a minefield which I don't well understand) which is the issue. What I need to do conceptually is

For all files
Read File
retieve audio and video properties of content ignoring what the mkv says
Check against existing mkv headers (and extensions)
Write corrected info when necessary
Move to next file

What I do is call mkvmerge with -i -F json options to dump the contents of the mkv into a json file. It's then quite trivial to parse that.

Hi Dr Xenos
Thanks a lot for that, wasnt aware of that functionality in mkvmerge.
The other possibility I now discovered is ffprobe.
I need to do a bit more research and checking to see what these things are ‘really’ telling me, but I’m sure now it will be easily scriptable to do what I need.
Thanks again

Last edited:
Another option would be HandBrake Cli using --json --title 0

Back