• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

HD Media Player boxes

kell490

I see several companies make playback boxes that have a USB port which you can use a flash drive or sata hard dive like the Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player. I don't really have the room for PC's has anyone had experience with the WD modal or others please advise which to purchase. Seems the WD does not play back ISO files while some like the Sony say they do play ISO's. My goal is to put all my movies a couple of HD's I can network with a nas box in another room.

http://digitalmediaplayerguide.com/category/sony-smp-n100-network-media-player-with-wi-fi/

"I see several companies make playback boxes that have a USB port which you can use a flash drive or sata hard dive like the Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player. I don't really have the room for PC's has anyone had experience with the WD modal or others please advise which to purchase. Seems the WD does not play back ISO files while some like the Sony say they do play ISO's. My goal is to put all my movies a couple of HD's I can network with a nas box in another room."

I'm looking for a media player that plays full 3D Blu-ray ISO and as far as I know none do so at the current time. Rumor has it that in late 2011/early 2012 the Dune Series of media players will have a new Sigma chip that has native support for "true" 3D (FullHD) iwhich will allow at least one of their hdmi 1.4/1.4a media player models to play full 3D Blu-ray ISO!

Western currently has a media player with hdmi 1.4 but I don't if if it plays .iso or full 3D Blu-ray

I see several companies make playback boxes that have a USB port which you can use a flash drive or sata hard dive like the Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player.

I use a Dvico TVIX Slim S1 media player. I personally don't network my unit, but instead use both an internal HD and USB connected HD to playback DVD Rips in either File folder structur or .iso. I prefer the File Folder sturctur as they play flawlessly. I personally see too many navigation issues in my player with the .iso format. My player is great for DVD Rips. It will play Blu-ray rips fairly well. I have not tried may Blu-ray rips but see frequent audio issues with the rips that require third party tools to overcome. Depends on AV system if you would see these issues. Shop carefully and buy what is best for your needs.

Last edited:
I see several companies make playback boxes that have a USB port which you can use a flash drive or sata hard dive like the Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player. I don't really have the room for PC's has anyone had experience with the WD modal or others please advise which to purchase. Seems the WD does not play back ISO files while some like the Sony say they do play ISO's. My goal is to put all my movies a couple of HD's I can network with a nas box in another room.

http://digitalmediaplayerguide.com/category/sony-smp-n100-network-media-player-with-wi-fi/

I bought the WD TV Live Hub 2 weeks ago and it's really great. DVD ISOs work great, just like originals in the drive. Bluray ISOs work, but only the main movie will be played. BUT currently there is NO HD media player that can play Bluray ISOs fully. Every HD media player on the market will just play the main movie of a Bluray ISO. (Must be some technical problems, don't know)

The WD TV Live Hub has a 1TB Harddisk and is really small.

Best Regards,
BurnerHEAD

Have you tried 3D Blu ray iso?

I bought the WD TV Live Hub 2 weeks ago and it's really great. DVD ISOs work great, just like originals in the drive. Bluray ISOs work, but only the main movie will be played. BUT currently there is NO HD media player that can play Bluray ISOs fully. Every HD media player on the market will just play the main movie of a Bluray ISO. (Must be some technical problems, don't know)

The WD TV Live Hub has HDMI 1.4 but I wanted to know if it plays full 3D Blu-ray iso? ( even if it is just the main movie that plays in full 3d )

PCH C200 plays Full BD isos. Some Dune players, too.

Great info here from what I have read only USB or internal HD will work with 1080P network is usually too slow so I hear. Any idea if xbox 360 can be made to work?

The WD TV Live Hub has HDMI 1.4 but I wanted to know if it plays full 3D Blu-ray iso? ( even if it is just the main movie that plays in full 3d )

I dont think so , they may in a future firmware update support 3d...

I myself use a WD Live hub w/ 1Tb drive inside and can tell you it plays blu ray main movie full encoded MKV with DTS surround sound.... what I mean by full encoded is the mkv is just wrapped with the original mts files with no re encoding... The WD plays these just fine... so you could take your blu ray and make a mkv from the main movie with full sound and video just wrapped, in otherwords do not make the mkv any smaller if the movie is 30gb so will the mkv because its just rewrapped... it takes like 20 minutes to do this on my slow old pc and then I just put it on a usb drive for the WD to play or load it onto the wd internal drive... you get the full movie with zero loss and full dts sound.... closest thing to an iso playback as I could get...

I dont think so , they may in a future firmware update support 3d...

I myself use a WD Live hub w/ 1Tb drive inside and can tell you it plays blu ray main movie full encoded MKV with DTS surround sound.... what I mean by full encoded is the mkv is just wrapped with the original mts files with no re encoding... The WD plays these just fine... so you could take your blu ray and make a mkv from the main movie with full sound and video just wrapped, in otherwords do not make the mkv any smaller if the movie is 30gb so will the mkv because its just rewrapped... it takes like 20 minutes to do this on my slow old pc and then I just put it on a usb drive for the WD to play or load it onto the wd internal drive... you get the full movie with zero loss and full dts sound.... closest thing to an iso playback as I could get...

Hi! Do you mind listing the steps on how you do this? Including what programs you use? Thanks! X

I have a Netgear 550 and it plays BD iso's perfectly with all menus and full lossless audio. No 3d though. I simply use Anydvdhd to rip to image my blue ray movies and copy to my internal or external hard drive. everything plays great with no stuttering and it shows DTS MA or Dolby HD on my reciever.

Hi! Do you mind listing the steps on how you do this? Including what programs you use? Thanks! X

Sure , I use that ' other product ' that has fab in it... I use the ripper option to make mkv files from the main movie... that mkv file then can be played back with the wd live or my mac mini running xbmc , I do not reduce the size or anything so it merely wraps the mts files from the main movie into one mkv file...

Or you could use one of the many free utilities out there that do the same thing

I have to ask. Why is there such a hatred on this forum for "that other company". Whenever someone mentions this company the responses seem to be, to say the least, over the top. I looked at that site and their members seem happy and satisfied just like this forum is with Slysoft. The feelings run deep here more then the other company just being in the same line of business. I am happy with Slysofts products and own three of them but I am constantly amazed to see the responses when their name is brought up.

Because they have a tendency to take others free work off the net and charge you for it as well as being misleading about what their software can and can't do

I have to ask. Why is there such a hatred on this forum for "that other company". Whenever someone mentions this company the responses seem to be, to say the least, over the top. I looked at that site and their members seem happy and satisfied just like this forum is with Slysoft. The feelings run deep here more then the other company just being in the same line of business. I am happy with Slysofts products and own three of them but I am constantly amazed to see the responses when their name is brought up.

They also have a tendency to ask for more $$ and call it an upgrade for any new product for their line.

For example, when they offered Blu-ray ripper, you had to pay for it (a bit more than updating AnyDVD to AnyDVD HD), and when they offered their Blu-ray converter (BD Rebuilder or Clown BD are free), they said you had to pay for it.

And, like the last poster has said, a lot of the products they sell, you can get them for FREE, just by checking the Doom9 forum and asking questions to the people over there.

Last edited:
They also have a tendency to ask for more $$ and call it an upgrade for any new product for their line.

For example, when they offered Blu-ray ripper, you had to pay for it (a bit more than updating AnyDVD to AnyDVD HD), and when they offered their Blu-ray converter (BD Rebuilder or Clown BD are free), they said you had to pay for it.

And, like the last poster has said, a lot of the products they sell, you can get them for FREE, just by checking the Doom9 forum and asking questions to the people over there.
Not to mention:
a) Those who've tried both say AnyDVD HD is much, much better at decryption than any of its competitors. Basically, if it's not Cinavia, SlySoft either has cracked it or will crack it shortly--and unlike the competition's "go backwards to move forwards" workaround, they're not gonna claim a Cinavia crack till they REALLY crack it. :rock:
b) This particular forum on the SlySoft site is for AnyDVD HD support--*not* discussing the competition. (I'm not a mod, but IIRC that belongs on the Third Party Software forum.)

Don't forget the fact that fengtao (author of dvdcrap), rips people off by using their software they devellop and release for free on doom9 and throw their own gui on it and then charge people for that very same free software.

PCH C200 plays Full BD isos. Some Dune players, too.

Ah okay. Thanks for clarifying. I just hadn't found one in my research that could do it. So the other players need to work on their implementation.

What about HD-DVD isos? Which player can play them? Does the WDTV do it?

Thanks!

Ah okay. Thanks for clarifying. I just hadn't found one in my research that could do it. So the other players need to work on their implementation.

What about HD-DVD isos? Which player can play them? Does the WDTV do it?

Thanks!

The blu ray iso's can be played I believe but only the main movie.... which is why I just mkv the main movie and let it play that...

as for the fab product , I happen to love it, I use both and bdrebuilder too, the much hated fab product gets the job done with the least amount of hassle , especially when I want to convert a blu ray disk to dvd.... The cuda support makes it quicker as well.... whether or not they ' steal ' from freeware stuff is trivial to me because the freeware stuff tends to be a pain to use so if I am paying them to at least make that stuff ' useable ' than so be it.... I do use anydvdhd to do the ripping... its all fab and bdrebuilder after that.....

Back