• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Having trouble with Lucy UHD

MikeA

I can't seem to rip Lucy UHD. I have ripped dozens of UHD's with no problem. Lucy doesn't show up on the unsupported UHD list. I have owned this disc since it was released in 2016.
I have two UHD drives, one friendly (ASUS BW-161HT 3.00), and one not (Pioneer BD-RWBDR-21M 1.52).
My friendly UHD drive will play LUCY, if I have 'AnyDVD disabled. If I enable AnyDVD and load LUCY the disk is never recognized by Windows or AnyDVD at all. No scanning screen, no notifications, just nothing. In AnyDVD settings the drive is shown as No Disc is present. AnyDVD 8.5.8.2.
My unfriendly drive will play LUCY, if I have AnyDVD disabled. If I enable AnyDVD and load LUCY, I get he expected notification from AnyDVD that the disc was not loadable.
Will the scanner work given these symptoms?
Any other ideas?
Thanks
Mike

First thing's first. Forget the Pioneer. That's not going to be supported for this.

Second, do you have MakeMKV installed?

Third, if possible, see if AnyDVD will create a log with that disc in your ASUS drive then post the log.

SamuriHL
Thanks for the prompt feedback.
Ok, two questions.
First, I can't figure a way to generate a log with the Lucy disc, because AnyDVD never scans it. It just never 'sees' it at all. I included all the info about my two drives (Friendly and non-Friendly) to provide more information that might be needed. I also wanted to point out that the disc was recognized by Power DVD, and played properly, when I disabled AnyDVD. This led me to believe that the disc was readable, and maybe not the problem.
Second, I am still ripping discs to ISO images using the friendly drive method. I haven't done the MakeMKV and Libredrive changes. Do these mean that I no longer need to use the friendly drive method using an 'official' drive? Is there a description of how to set this up somewhere? Thanks.
Mike

OK, I've been reading up on the MakeMKV/Libredrive stuff and sort of understand it. My usage is to rip to protected image my UHD discs onto my NAS and then play them back with PowerDVD/AnyDVD. I've been using the friendly drive approach. With the MakeMKV/Libredrive approach can I stop using the friendly drive approach? If so, should I purchase a newer LG drive and modify it as described, or will my existing ASUS BW-16DHT 3.00 (in an external case vis USB 3.0) be useable?

Clean the disc with liquid soap and warm water. Then dry with a microfiber cloth like used to clean glasses. Ty again. Report back.

Afterwards: If unsuccessful with AnyDVD try to rip to folder with Makemkv. If both methods are unsuccesful we need to talk again.

SamuraiHL/Coopervid
Thanks for the help. Really appreciated.
On my problem with Lucy, for some reason the disc isn't recognized by my ASUS drive using any method. The disc is recognized by MakeMKV in my Pioneer drive and plays fine with AnyDVD disabled. It is also recognized by my standalone UHD player and plays fine. I must have made a mistake in stating that it played fine in my ASUS drive with AnyDVD disabled, because that isn't the case today.
So, I assume the issue is resolved, and for some reason the ASUS drive is the problem.
I am going to buy a LG WH16NS60 and go the MakeMKV route. Seems like that is a better approach now anyway compared to what I have been doing.
I'll let you guys know how it goes, and if the LG drive recognizes the Lucy disc.
Thanks again.
Mike

Hang on. To be clear on a few points.....

point #1. Try flashing the ASUS drive with the NS60's firmware. This will make it "semi-official" in that it won't be a real boy, but, it'll have official firmware on it. which brings me to:

point #2. With MakeMKV installed, AnyDVD 8.5.8.2 will use LibreDrive now when a disc is inserted. So your now "semi-official" drive will work with AnyDVD. And with that firmware on it, let's see what happens with AnyDVD.

If you need help flashing the firmware or a link to it, let me know.

SamuraiHL/Coopervid
OK, I ordered the LG WH16NS60, which came with 1.03 firmware. I flashed it with the MK 1.03 version and all is well.
I also flashed my ASUS BW-16D1HT with the NS60 1.03 version firmware and all is well with it also.
Both drives show BUS ENCRYPTION DISABLED BY MAKEMKV LIBREDRIVE! in AnyDVD settings when 4K blu-ray's are scanned and loaded.
Ripping and playback from HD works fine with either drive.
Both drives have the same maximum transfer rate when ripping, ~25-26MB/s. The ASUS is in an external enclosure.
Both drives fail to recognize the LUCY 4K disc at all, either with AnyDVD enabled or disabled.
So, even though the Lucy disc plays in a standalone player, it has some flaws that make it unreadable by a computer drive.
So that case is solved. My Lucy disc is marginal.
Thanks for the help.
Mike Aymar

So. It's the disc. Try again with liquid soap an HOT water. Then clean with a microfiber disc. If that doesn't help your disc is bad and if you have a chance you should return it.

It's bad, but bought in 2016 so not much chance to send it back. Haven't watched the whole movie recently from the disc on my standalone player to see if it has playback problems later on in the movie. Another of the ones I purchased a while ago in 2017 has also been giving AnyDVD problems when ripping with never-ending data errors. Soap, hot water and microfiber didn't help that one either. This second one for sure has problems playing back on a standalone blu-ray player.
Thanks again for the help.

The problem with "playing it back on a stand-alone" is two-fold. First, you're not hitting every single bit on the disc by doing that, while ripping with AnyDVD you are. Second, even if it does happen to coincide with the parts you're watching on the stand-alone, it means absolutely nothing whatsoever. Stand-alone players use different error handling than a PC drive. It'll happily skip over sections that are unreadable and never bother you with the details. However, that doesn't work for PC drives. So the entire comparison of "well I can read it in a stand-alone" is a fallacy from the beginning.

Thanks. I was aware of that standalone players often don't complain as much as computer drives. Just wanted to provide as much background info as possible. Thanks for the help.

Back