• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Hard Drive playback on Playstation 3

kamtheman

Hi Guys, possible NOOB question this which I've been trying to answer by trawling through some threads. I fear the answer is negative.

I am all sorted with ripping Blu ray ISO's etc to my HTPC and playing back fine.

My question is am I able to move the ISO's to a external hard drive and somehow playback by plugging into a PS3? Is some sort of homebrew software available or is streaming to a PS3 the only way possible?

cheers in advance. Kam.

an external drive hooked up to a ps3 would have to be formatted fat32 which doesn't allow files larger than 4gb.

ah, a simple but effective thwart to the plan!

thanks anyway. I'll have to look into blu ray burning at some point when media is cheaper.

I think the internal drive on the ps3 uses a proprietary filesystem that isn't impeded by the 4gb file limitation. I don't have a ps3 so i'm not entirely sure. however I would imagine that if the ps3 HD did not limit files to 4gb that you could make a ps3 compatible file, split it into 4gb chunks, copy it over and then on the ps3 under linux concatenate them back together for playback.

Edit: apparently you can make an image of a blu-ray under linux with "dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/blu-raymovie.iso". I found a post where someone did it with talladega nights. the main movie m2ts file was 20gb so the internal ps3 filesystem has no issues with +4gb files.

Last edited:
But you can't then mount that ISO and play it back, the PS3 only allows full Blu-ray playback from a disc

no, but a 1080p mp4 with aac audio should work. I've read some posts, don't remember where, about accessing a shared drive or folder with upnp but i'm not sure about the details, as i said i don't have a ps3. there should be a way to get around the fat32 limits and transfer large files from your pc to the ps3 for playback through the ps3 media player.

Edit: I think i found it. Red Kawa File Server. http://www.redkawa.com/fileserver/

Last edited:
Yes, but this would require re-encoding the original movie.

IF you have an HTPC, then you can use ISO's. If you are going to use a PS3, you will need the original Blu-ray disk to play the movie unaltered. You can stream the M2TS file to your PS3, but it will not play back the HD audio stream(s) and is limited to the first track in the M2TS file. Your options are limited in trying to stream a Blu-ray movie to a PS3.

You can put an AVCHD structure on a disc and have it work. If you split your m2ts files at 4 gigs in theory this should work perfectly. I've yet to try it but it's on my list of things to do one of these days.

Back