• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Got my first sector errors.

Ryan-RC

Hello all

First post.

So I have been using AnyDVD an AnyDVD-HD for copying DVD an Blu-Rays for many years, an currently on the BD drive I have now for about two.

Until today I have never had such a issue, but for a Blu-Ray disk I have, I suddenly have gotten an error in reading some sectors of the disk for about 11 sections.

I click the continue an it seems to get the rest of the disk.

In looking at the disk face itself, it is just flawless an I have looked at it very very close. As well I make sure it is completely clean before putting it in.

So could there be some flaw in the disk that is not a surface physical flaw or one I can do anything about?

I have yet to check further to see if there is a problem playing it in a BD machine so I do need to do that, but as well, in looking at the one vid I think its having the issue with, it shows up with exactly the same bytes as on the disk when all things are done

So like I said, I still need to check the vid, but could these errors be some kind of no need to worry about them thing, or do I need to an for sure there is a problem with the disk?

Thanks for any help

It's not unusual to get a flaw in Blu-ray discs that you can't see

Wow, thanks for the quick reply Adbear, so for this flaw, is it something that might show up on the regular use of the disk in say a regular player?
Would think that would be a tough question to ask, but I guess what I'm saying is, could there be errors that AnyDVD-HD shows or is part of a copying process, that doesn't show up in regular or other uses?

Thanks again.

Players can often skip over small errors so you won't notice them, whereas copying can't do that as you need the complete file

Thanks again Adbear, will have to check the disk out some more.

Btw, don't know if you can tell me about such info, but the total errors I got were eleven, an for the sectors, the all started with the number 6603, then the last three digits were random. Actually they were all kind of written per each 11 like 6603040-6603071. So I don't know if that is to mean the sectors between those numbers were bad, of it was two which would really mean I had 22 errors (?), at any rate, if you happen to know, does 11 errors like this on a 46g disk sound serious, or tiny?

Thanks for any help.

Flaws in Blu Rays are not uncommon and most players will just skip over the flaw. The problem is if you want to re-encode in order to fit it on a smaller disk size. Most re-encoders will lock up at the point of the flaw and the output ends up to be audio only until the end of the video.

You can use editing software to delete the bad bits of the video and re-encode that way but it is a major headache and time consuming. Much easier to replace the flawed disk if possible. If you're just backing up 1:1 (ie rip to image) without a re-encode then it's usually not a problem with only a few errors. But it will be noticeable at the point of the flaws (at least that's been my experience) and is not intentional on the publisher's part.

Last edited:
Hey guys thanks for the replies.

First off, I haven't had the chance to watch this disk yet, had family home for the holidays an they just left tonight. So will give it a shot over the week.

But I did find time to download a software program call VSO Information, an from that was able to test the disks from this set.

Just to mention, I bought this bad disk in a set that was used as its four seasons of a show that came in a special limited edition set that was put out years ago that is no longer in print. So was only way to get it. Guess what I'm saying is, is not possible to go to the maker an get a new disk, nor do I doubt I could get one as I got it used.

Anyway, attached this post are the reports of three disks of the set (found out are too long to post as was not allowed) the first one is the bad disk (Inspector_Scan_12-27-2015_15-57.txt), the second two seem to be fine. Have only had the time to test that many.

As you can see, for the bad disk the surface test showed tons of errors, but in the end, it did seem to say it was only .02% bad. I'm guessing even for all those errors when you put it against 46G, that makes sense (?). Second odd part was the for the file test, it showed no errors (?). Other thing I would add is the test for the bad disk took a really really long time, like all afternoon. Where as the two good ones on took about 45min.

To mention, I took a really good look at the bad reporting disk an in just the right light an putting on two pairs of glasses an I did finally see a slight scratch coming from the center whole to perhaps a eighth of a inch or less into the silver part. All in all I would be surprised this is causing this though, as I thought these BD's were supposed to be very resilient to that kind of stuff. Have looked very close an tested it to see if it was actually a crack, but I don't think so.

At any rate, have taken a few pics an uploaded them although I learned pics of the shinny side of a BD do not come out very well, but at least it might show that the disks are not scratched to pieces.

So for what all this info may be good for here I don't know, if anyone has any input or thoughts, I would be glad to hear them.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• 20151227_181545.jpg
    20151227_181545.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20151227_181619.jpg
    20151227_181619.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Inspector_Scan_12-27-2015_15-57.txt
    38.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Inspector_Scan_12-27-2015_18-04.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Inspector_Scan_12-27-2015_19-06.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 0
A small scratch 1/8 inch into the silver part from the center hub hole would not cause you read errors. It looks like the errors are concentrated around 17588K to 176100K which is more towards the middle of the disk (about half way between the edge of the hub and outer rim of the disk).

Even though it's a small spot it can generate a lot of read errors. Have you tried cleaning the disk with mild soap and water even though it looks clean? A lot of the reads succeeded after several tries. I would also try a different BD drive if possible to see if you get fewer errors.
Since it's not replaceable, you could edit out the bad part if you want to spend the time on it. Or you can see how it plays as is and it maybe ok.

BTW, those disks don't look very silver is that the lighting and or reflections? Also, it's not a good idea to use a flash as the UV can be bad for the disk. Try to angle the disk/camera so the disk is not reflecting direct light sources or noisy backgrounds.

Last edited:
Wow Roycal an thanks for all that info, def was things I didn't know.

For cleaning all I have done so far was to do a bit of breath huffing onto the disk then followed by a buff with a soft cloth. Seems to be really good for a least looking like it cleans it well an does get rid of any finger prints that were / might get on it.

Yeah, the pics were pretty bad, but the disk are normal I would say. Had to take them at night but out in the garage under the fluorescent light.

Might have to wait a few days till the weekend to try again as will be working during light hours. But could try outside. Just to mention, I tried using a flash an not a flash, an seem to make no dif.

As for a dif player, sadly at least for the PC, is the only Blu-Ray unit I have. The one I have does have a few firmware upgrades, so perhaps will try that. Only thing I would say thought is as I mentioned, this is the first time I have ever had this happen an I have had this player for a while. But I think I get what your saying, the disk still may be flawed, but a different player might do better at reading past that.

Thanks greatly for the info.

Glad to help. A newer BD drive may be able to read that disk better. Some of the reads succeeded after several tries indicating probably a low contrast between high and low reflectivity.
With BD's most of the time those flaws aren't visible and happen in the manufacturing process but sometimes a newer drive will read it better.

Tip for photographing highly reflective surfaces is use an indirect light source reflected off a white backdrop. Angle the subject and camera so the reflection is the white backdrop.

Thanks Roycal.

Is a little hard to remember when I got this drive, but in using the same software program, things such as the firmware dates, an then owners manuals when I found it, all suggest it was made in 2012-2013. Which sounds about right, think I got it perhaps in late 2013.

So am just wondering if you say by newer, that something I could buy today would be much dif?

Btw, the drive is a LG brand model WH14NS40, an don't know if you can tell me, but is that a good brand / unit an if not, do you know a better one to use for this condition?

Thanks greatly

LG's are great drives. Nothing wrong with that model. It's always possible to have drive problems though and a good idea to have at least one other BD drive. Same model would be a fine backup drive or the external equivalent.
I've seen drives fail first with D/L disks while S/L BD's and DVD's continued to work for a long time.
If this is the only D/L disk that is failing it's most likely disk problems though. But a different drive may be able to read more of the marginal sectors.
I would keep every rip (ignoring errors) and salvage the one with the least amount of errors.

If this is a episode type disk or has bonus videos it might be only one episode or video that is the problem. You can rip just that episode (or video) for repair and rip the rest of the disk without that episode or video separately. If you don't already know how to do that check out CloneBD.

Last edited:
Back