• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Global FAQs -- Some information for isolating problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webslinger

Retired Moderator
Click the link (underlined text) that corresponds with your question:

1. When I send a ticket into Slysoft support what information should I be providing?

2. I can play a disc, then why won't it read for a copy?

3. What is the best way to rip using Anydvd?

4. Why can't I use DVD Shrink 3.2, Nero Recode, 123, and possibly other Third Party Software directly with AnyDVD? I keep getting errors. Why? Click here.

5. When should I use "rip to image"?

a) With DVDs do NOT use that option in AnyDVD unless for "play" only. It is reserved for BluRays only. Use ImgBurn or CloneDVD2 for DVD ISO w/ AnyDVD in the background.
b) If you just want to mount an .iso in Virtual Clonedrive and watch the movie, then use ImgBurn.

The resulting rip from dvds containing structural protection when using "rip to image" may not be compliant with a lot of third party programs. So "rip to video-dvd to hardisk" is preferable. click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=3992

For Blu-rays it doesn't mattter. For dvds, it can matter (a lot).

6. Anydvd can't see or detect my original dvd-video movie disc (or my drives can read cds and not dvds or vice versa). What should I do?

a) Keep your license key file backed up safely
b) Uninstall Anydvd (start-->all programs-->Slysoft--->Anydvd-->Uninstall)
c) Reboot
d) Check to see if your system ("my computer") now reports a disc in the drive. Do you see a video_ts folder (if you're using a dvd)? Do you see folders or files?

If the answer is "no" to "d)", then Anydvd isn't your problem. As Anydvd is not on your system, Anydvd can't interfere or block the reading process. Possibly your reader or burner is slowing dying, the original disc is bad, or a number of other possibilities exist as well (including messed up ide/sata busdrivers, bad cable on the back of the drive, etc.)

If the answer is "yes", click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=1559 and follow the steps (note that step 4 requires you to post information)

7. Why am I getting FileIO 3, CRC, TCSectorReader, or read errors in general when the program I use tries to read a disc?

8. Why are my backups freezing, skipping, or showing a blocky pixellated mess during playback?

9. Why am I only getting Director's comments or having other audio related issues with my backup?

10. Anydvd isn't working for me at all. Or Anydvd can't see my drives. Or Anydvd says my drives are disabled. What should I do?

11. My backups play on my computer, but not in something else. Why?

First, if the backup is playing on your computer, that means Anydvd and whatever backup program you used worked.

The most common reason why you're having this problem (if the backup doesn't work in a standalone dvd player) is due to a compatibility issue between the blank media you're using and whatever you're using to play the backup in (standalone dvd player, for example). Basically your dvd player, dvd-rom drive, etc. doesn't like the blank media you're using (or if you're using +R media, you didn't change the booktype to "dvd-rom"). You can try choosing other blank media (+r instead of -r, for example, and change the booktype to "dvd-rom")--or buy a different standalone dvd player (or a different dvd-rom drive, burner, etc.).

If you're using dvd-r media and your standalone dvd player gives you a message similar to ""Play Prohibited, please check disc", use dvd+r media instead and change the booktype to "dvd-rom" (see "b)" below).

a) Are you using junk blank media? If you're not using Taiyo Yuden (not Valueline), Verbatim Datalife Plus, Maxell Plus, or Maxell Broadcast Quality, then chances are the answer to this question is "yes". If you use +R DL blank media use Verbatim +R DL (made in Singapore) or MAM-A 8x +R DL only
b) Click this and read FULLY (especially take a look at point 4 for more information on bitsetting/booktyping, but all points are very important)

The same factors also apply to why the backup doesn't play in your computer (but there can be other factors including buggy or poorly installed dvd player software, bad drivers, etc.).

12. My burns are taking forever to complete suddenly. Why?

a.) Install ImgBurn. http://www.imgburn.com. Open ImgBurn>Tools>Reset DMA. Restart computer. It can also be done manually via device manager. Google for more info.

b) Is the original source disc bad? If so, the reading process will take longer.

c) Did you select an appropriate burn speed in whatever program you're using? Obviously 4x is going to take longer than 12x.

d) Did this start after changing your drive? Not likely but is could be the cable on the back of your burner (try an 80 wire cable if you have an ide burner). Maybe your existing cable has gone bad.

e) Try defragmenting your hard drive.

f) Ensure speed control is unchecked in Anydvd (or at least, ensure "Slow and Quiet" is not enabled).

13. The error message says unable to find CSS key due to region mismatch and that I need to set my dvd drive region to the same as the dvd to avoid this error in the future.
a) You can usually ignore that error message, and Anydvd will still work properly with your burning program.

b) If you're still having problems, this is what you do

<<<Right mouse the system tray AnyDVD fox icon and click "exit". >>>

YOU MUST EXIT ANYDVD OR YOU CANNOT CHANGE THE DRIVE REGION

In case you ignored that here it is again:

YOU MUST EXIT ANYDVD OR YOU CANNOT CHANGE THE DRIVE REGION

1. Click start. For XP right click on "My computer"--->select "properties" (in Vista, W7, W8, start > right click "Computer" ---> select "Properties")
2. For XP click on the 'Hardware' tab--->click the 'device manager' button
2a. For Vista, W7, W8 open "Device Manager"
3. Open the dvd/cdrom branch---> right click there on your optical drive
4. Click "properties".
5. You should have a region tab at the top there. Click that and from there you can select a region.

DO NOT BE FOOLED IF YOU SEE "your" REGION THERE. WINDOWS LIES ABOUT THIS DATA.

6. Select the region that matches YOUR COUNTRY. Even if Windows shows your country is "set", do this anyway!
7. Close those panels now. Start Anydvd, insert the DVD and left click the system tray AnyDVD fox and see that the drive status shown is NOT "0".

Do NOT proceed and do not reply to SlySoft until the status panel for AnyDVD shows a number for your drive region and no longer "0".

THERE'S MORE BELOW! SCROLL DOWN!

Last edited by a moderator:
14. Cheap blanks may work well until your buy the next box. Or even from the same spindle they suddenly don't work. I can even use some of this cheap blank media with other programs. Nothing has changed except Anydvd.

Bad quality blank media can vary in results from disc to disc, even within the same spindle. And even when inferior blank media does work, you can play the "will my backups still play after 6 months (or even after two years)" game.

Use good quality blank media (Taiyo Yuden Premium, Verbatim Datalife Plus, Maxell Plus, Maxell Broadcast Quality). Avoid Ritek, Memorex, regular Maxell blank media that you can find in most stores that are not made in Japan, Fuji, TDK from Costco, and Princo. Also, on average, it's wise to avoid blank media that's made in China or Hong Kong.

For +R DL blank media use Verbatim+R DL or MAM-A +R DL only. -R DL is a useless disc format due to having a fixed layer position.

15. Help! I'm having problems playing discs from other regions with my Matshita drive! Why?

Matshita (Panasonic oem) burners should really be avoided. They are cheap junk (which is probably why some laptop companies love these drives), die easily, and also suffer from region coding issues. Click this

16. Will Anydvd make my backups region free? Yes, Anydvd will make your backups region free.

17. Do any Slysoft products convert PAL to NTSC or vice versa?

No. Anydvd does not convert PAL to NTSC video format nor vice versa.

18. I'm trying to backup something that was originally recorded on a standalone dvd video recorder, and I'm having problems. Why?

a) Disable Anydvd
b) "use Windows filesystem" in CloneDVD's preferences with dvd-vr discs.

Keep in mind that Anydvd and Clonedvd are intended for use with original pressed commercial dvds (or at least something that attempts to comply with a dvd-video standard) and not the dvd-vr (video recording) format.

19. What is the the purpose of the AI scanner? Should I leave it enabled?

The AI scanner is intended for use with video-dvds that contain structural copy protection (some examples include Sony Arcoss, Protect-dvd, etc.) The AI scanner scans through the dvd's menus to find all playable titlesets. In this manner, the AI scanner can then ignore all of the bogus titlesets and simply choose to include only the the valid titlesets that the dvd player can play.

You should allow the AI scanner to be set to "default" unless you encounter problems.

20. When I place my mouse cursor over the red fox icon on my taskbar, I see this:

On:0, Off:0, Empty:2

What does "on", off" and "empty" mean?

The sum of those entries is equal to the number of drives in your computer.

"On" is equal to the number of drives that have discs in them (and for which Anydvd is active for or enabled for).

"Off" is equal to the number of drives Anydvd isn't active for.

You may want to click the "default" button in the AnyDVD status panel.

Also, on the AnyDVD Status panel, navigate to "drive"--> "selection". Make sure all drives are selected. Typically, "Off" should equal 0.

"Empty" is equal to the number of drives without discs inserted in them.

On + Off + Empty = the number of drives that Anydvd detects in total

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back