• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

For those of you who want full Windows Aero effects during PowerDVD Blu-ray/HD-DVD...

Thats why Cyberlink has it disabled by default. You need a powerful enough display adapter to handle it. I probably should have put that in the initial post. Sorry.

Yeh, I have 2 GTX 280s though so I don't think power is an issue lol.

These same settings also exist under the [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cyberlink\PowerDVD] key (PowerDVD7). I changed them but haven't experimented yet.

I'm using PowerDVD 7.3.4116 under Windows 7 beta, and having the same problem. I don't see the UI_AskAero key there, and setting UseNVDWMOn alone does not fix the problem. Any suggestions? (GTX 260, 181.20)

I tried to work around the problem by directly playing the m2ts file (sole file, created by tsremux). That can be played by either WMP or PowerDVD, but has no audio. (Aero still works when either WMP or PowerDVD plays the file, however.)

Is there a different way I can tsremux my blu-rays so that the m2ts file includes the audio? Then I'd have a viable workaround.

Sometimes, it just doesn't work, especially with later drivers, and I expect PowerDVD builds as well.

Sometimes, it just doesn't work, especially with later drivers, and I expect PowerDVD builds as well.

Oh well. It's disappointing, since Windows 7 is otherwise working well enough that I'd considered migrating to it (from XP) while it's still in beta.

Any idea why there's no audio when I play the m2ts directly? (Pardon my ignorance of Blu-ray formats.) Or any suggestions on how to fix that (using tsremux or whatever)? Thanks!

I just installed Windows 7 and am having problems playing .m2ts files that have DTS in them. Other files play pretty good with Vista Codecs for windows 7.

I think there's a problems with the "libdts" filter. Still looking for solutions.

But those of you who upgraded to windows 7 should check out the Vista Codecs for windows 7 or for Vista 64. I'm running the 64 bit build of Windows 7, BTW.

Oh well. It's disappointing, since Windows 7 is otherwise working well enough that I'd considered migrating to it (from XP) while it's still in beta.

Any idea why there's no audio when I play the m2ts directly? (Pardon my ignorance of Blu-ray formats.) Or any suggestions on how to fix that (using tsremux or whatever)? Thanks!

I can't speak for NVIDIA drivers but, yes, the later Catalyst drivers made this workaround no longer work on my system.

I think there's a problems with the "libdts" filter. Still looking for solutions.

But those of you who upgraded to windows 7 should check out the Vista Codecs for windows 7 or for Vista 64. I'm running the 64 bit build of Windows 7, BTW.

Am I right to assume that if PowerDVD succeeds in playing the Blu-ray properly (ISO mounted as a virtual drive), albeit with the Aero problem, but drops the audio when it plays the m2ts file directly (from the same virtual drive), then it's not a Codec problem?

It's nice to have Aero, but I don't see how this is so important that you'd not use Win 7 because of it. It's a very good OS. That said, I would NOT recommend migrating to it! I'd installed it in a ESATA external drive, and it was working OK. I then decided to install it in my laptop as the only OS, and it ran mostly fine for some time, and then while installing more programs, it got corrupted, and I was getting errors. My laptop is my test pc though, so no harm done, but you shouldn't install it as a standalone OS.

About the second question, you should read the stickies (FAQ, I think) it's a VERY frequently asked question.

I'm not playing the files in PowerDVD, haven't even installed it on my windows 7 build yet but plan to just to test it out. I extracted the main movie file with AnyDVD, installed Vista Codecs and am playing them through Windows Media player and Windows Media Center. Ever since PowerDVD stopped playing files via the hard drive, I practically have given up on it. But I do have the PowerDVD 8 BD edition that came with my LG BluRay dive. I really have no desire to play the files by mounting them as ISO files. I just want to play them using Media Center.

Files with DTS of any kind do not play correctly. If Vista Codecs are not present Windows will play the files using its built in AC3 filter for DD. You heard that right! Windows 7 now playes VC1 files with AC3 natively without the use of third party filters. But I need the vista codecs to play my .ts, .mkv or other non commercial codec files.

BTW, Windows 7 has given me the best and smoothest picture to date! I don't know what they've done but seems hardware acceleration bugs have been worked out and now all my HD movie files regardless of CODEC and player play flawlessly.

Am I right to assume that if PowerDVD succeeds in playing the Blu-ray properly (ISO mounted as a virtual drive), albeit with the Aero problem, but drops the audio when it plays the m2ts file directly (from the same virtual drive), then it's not a Codec problem?

Last edited:
About the second question, you should read the stickies (FAQ, I think) it's a VERY frequently asked question.

Oops, sorry. I did search earlier but I missed it. FAQ item 18 talks about converting HD audio so the m2ts file can be played directly. But the Blu-ray's (sole) audio track was already DTS, not DTS HD, so I'm still not sure what the problem is.

(Suggestion: for the benefit of infrequent visitors who may just google into the middle of some thread, it would be beneficial if the page you get to by clicking on FAQ were to mention that the individual forums have their own FAQs posted in them.)

It's nice to have Aero, but I don't see how this is so important that you'd not use Win 7 because of it. It's a very good OS. That said, I would NOT recommend migrating to it! I'd installed it in a ESATA external drive, and it was working OK. I then decided to install it in my laptop as the only OS, and it ran mostly fine for some time, and then while installing more programs, it got corrupted, and I was getting errors. My laptop is my test pc though, so no harm done, but you shouldn't install it as a standalone OS.

Thanks, I appreciate the warning! By 'migrate', I just meant primarily using the Win7 side of my XP/Win7 dual boot (documents on a separate drive, backed up daily). I agree that Aero is just a superficial feature. But it's a conspicuous one, so I'm reluctant to be an early adopter without fixing the incompatibility first.

I agree that Aero is just a superficial feature. But it's a conspicuous one, so I'm reluctant to be an early adopter without fixing the incompatibility first.

I don't think you're being THAT early of an adopter. Anyway, it's not really an incompatibility, and besides, when I was doing this trick, I got some random PowerDVD crashes. I'm not 100% sure it was because of the trick, but it surely should run better with Aero disabled. I don't even use other windows when watching a movie. Unless you use another screen while watching a bluray, I don't see how you'll even notice Aero is disabled. After all, don't we wanna appreciate the full 1080p glory of the HD formats?

I don't think you're being THAT early of an adopter.

Ok, not that early an adopter. :) But it is still a beta OS.

Anyway, it's not really an incompatibility, and besides, when I was doing this trick, I got some random PowerDVD crashes. I'm not 100% sure it was because of the trick, but it surely should run better with Aero disabled. I don't even use other windows when watching a movie. Unless you use another screen while watching a bluray, I don't see how you'll even notice Aero is disabled. After all, don't we wanna appreciate the full 1080p glory of the HD formats?

I often multitask while watching Blu-rays. I have just one monitor, but displaying 1080p in full glory takes up only about half of my screen's real estate.

I agree the PowerDVD tweak isn't optimal (and doesn't work for me anyway). I'd prefer to solve the m2ts audio problem, if possible, and just use WMP.

Oh, I thought that by "early adopter" you meant PowerDVD and bluray. The issue is not with Win 7 by the way, it also doesn't work in Vista sometimes.

PowerDVD 8 Ultra build 2521

Vista 64 bit aero fix. (works with GTX 280 + 181.22 drivers)

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cyberlink\PowerDVD8

UI_AskAero=1
UseDWMOn=1

Thanks again mkanet. :agree:

Hi,

I would like to try this but can someone pls give me step by step instructions to do it.:confused:

Ironically, this fix no longer works for me using Nvidia 8800GT + drivers 180.xx and greater.

I tried using the UseDWMOn setting instead of the UseNVDWMOn, but that just ended up giving an internal error.

It was nice while it lasted.

UI_AskAero=1
UseDWMOn=1

Thanks! I'll try that when I reinstall Windows 7 64-bit (it was working flawlessly for a week, but then it abruptly became unstable, so I'm back to XP for now).

Ironically, this fix no longer works for me using Nvidia 8800GT + drivers 180.xx and greater.

I tried using the UseDWMOn setting instead of the UseNVDWMOn, but that just ended up giving an internal error.

It was nice while it lasted.

I'm pretty sure (not 100%) the GTX 88... does not have hardware acceleration for blu ray playback, but I'm curious about the error you keep getting. Do you use a driver cleaner before installing new drivers?

UI_AskAero=1
UseDWMOn=1

Oh well, that still doesn't work for me (PowerDVD 7.3.4116, GTX 260, 181.22, Windows 7 beta 64-bit).

That was meant for PowerDVD 8.

Oh well, that still doesn't work for me (PowerDVD 7.3.4116, GTX 260, 181.22, Windows 7 beta 64-bit).

Originally Posted by skypx View Post
UI_AskAero=1
UseDWMOn=1
Thanks again mkanet.

Back