• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Finetuning playback rate

Buster Brown

Is it possible to specify an exact framerate?
24 fps is too fast, 23.976 is better but still a tad fast.

Is there a way to do something like 23.900 or 23.970?

23.976 is not too fast.

If you want to get technical it's actually 23.976023976023976023976023976024.....

But James has stated many times that you only have to get "close enough", and that the Cinema mode thing about 24fps is cosmetic (I wish he would fix that though).

But James has stated many times that you only have to get "close enough", and that the Cinema mode thing about 24fps is cosmetic (I wish he would fix that though).
There is nothing to fix. ;)

There is nothing to fix. ;)

Just make the description say something like "Cinema Mode convert to 23.976fps and resample to 48,000hz", and everyone will stop wondering if their system is set wrong.

8)

movies are shot in 24fps

if you want the genuine reel speed, use 24.000/48.000Hz :policeman:

Just make the description say something like "Cinema Mode convert to 23.976fps and resample to 48,000hz", and everyone will stop wondering if their system is set wrong.

8)

And if the refresh rate is set to 24? 24.10? 23.96? 23.89? Display different messages?
If people would try to understand what ReClock does, they can stop wondering.

And if the refresh rate is set to 24? 24.10? 23.96? 23.89? Display different messages?
maybe it could say sumthing like :

CINEMA adaptation: media speed changed to ±24fps(exact multiple of your refresh rate). Audio resampled as required.

atm it says 24.000fps/96096Hz, which is fine in my personal case(23.976@48.000Hz)...but for ppl who play in 47.952Hz it doesn't make sense :rolleyes:

James, it is just plain wrong, not just confusing, to say "speed changed to to 24fps.... resampling at 48048Hz" when someone is using a multiple of 23.976Hz. There must be a better form of words, even if you just cut out the extraneous and sometimes inaccurate detail and simply say "Cinema Mode". If only to cut down on all the forum posts you WILL have to read asking the same question if you don't!

24fps is the "nominal speed" for CINEMA mode, this is what the message is about.

You're defending the indefensible! "Resampling at 48048Hz" for 23.976Hz playback?

You're defending the indefensible! "Resampling at 48048Hz" for 23.976Hz playback?
No, it says 24 .... for a CINEMA 24fps playback.
It's not ReClock's fault you set the refresh rate to 23.976. ;)

No, it says 24 .... for a CINEMA 24fps playback.
It's not ReClock's fault you set the refresh rate to 23.976. ;)

That's the crux of the issue really.

- Should we set the refresh rate to 23.976 (or a multiple thereof)?

- Should we set the refresh rate to 24.000 (or a multiple thereof)?

- It doesn't matter as it's all within the tolerance of Reclock? (And therefore the Cinema Status is over-accurate and causes confusion).

It's not trouble for me to set my display to 96.000 instead of 95.904 - I run a multisync CRT projector.
But I don't know which will mean reclock will do "less" work, or if it would make any difference at all (which is what I suspect).

That's the crux of the issue really.

- Should we set the refresh rate to 23.976 (or a multiple thereof)?

- Should we set the refresh rate to 24.000 (or a multiple thereof)?

- It doesn't matter as it's all within the tolerance of Reclock? (And therefore the Cinema Status is over-accurate and causes confusion).

It's not trouble for me to set my display to 96.000 instead of 95.904 - I run a multisync CRT projector.
But I don't know which will mean reclock will do "less" work, or if it would make any difference at all (which is what I suspect).
The correct speed of movies is 24fps. Not 23.976. Or (even worse) 25fps. Hello, PAL chipmunk voices,
That said, nobody (except leeperry) will notice the difference between 24 and 23.976. ReClock will do its job either way (unless you feed bitstreamed audio, of course)

I'm not trying to flamebait here, but.....

The argument seems to academic at this point. IMO, that's what James is saying and, well, that's based on what Reclock is doing.

I mean, if you can set your display to an exact multiple of 23.976, then why would you use Reclock at all?

The point, IMO, is that Reclock doesn't really care what the refresh is, it will "synch" the clocks and you're good to go.

From my understanding it doesn't matter, as it's all within Reclock's tolerance.
The message may seem confusing because I think Ogo never expected peeps to be using exact (23.976hz) Cinema frequency or multiples for their displays.
From the readme:

Another thing that does ReClock is to change the global playback rate of the movie in order to match its frame rate to a multiple of the refresh rate of your monitor. Here is how it does that:
- CINEMA mode is detected if the monitor has a refresh rate that is a multiple of 24 Hz (72 Hz, etc…) and if the movie has a frame rate between 23.75 and 24.25. Then the playback rate of the movie (including sound) is modified to match exactly 24 fps.

That explains why the message says: "media speed changed to 24.000fps", it's kind of a generic "it'll be OK" message, assuming people were using 24/48/72hz refresh rates.

In the real world and due to how ReClock works, it's not a problem if you're using exact (23.976hz) refresh rates or multiples : ReClock will just speed up media to match refresh rate. (or in this case, will NOT speed it up since they match in the first place)

In the case of a display set to exactly 23.976hz, when you play 23.976fps media, then the ReClock correction will be hardly active. With the same media and a 24hz refresh rate, the correction will be a little bit "bigger", but in the end movie playback should be just as smooth, this is the whole point.

As for the message itself, well it's just cosmetic, doesn't bother me in any way but that's just me.
Later,

TSR

That explains why the message says: "media speed changed to 24.000fps", it's kind of a generic "it'll be OK" message, assuming people were using 24/48/72hz refresh rates.

In the real world and due to how ReClock works, it's not a problem if you're using exact (23.976hz) refresh rates or multiples : ReClock will just speed up media to match refresh rate. (or in this case, will NOT speed it up since they match in the first place)

In the case of a display set to exactly 23.976hz, when you play 23.976fps media, then the ReClock correction will be hardly active. With the same media and a 24hz refresh rate, the correction will be a little bit "bigger", but in the end movie playback should be just as smooth, this is the whole point.
The thing is ... 24fps *is* the correct speed. Not 23.976. That's the NTSC baggage we have to carry (or 25 for PAL countries).
And playback will always be smooth, whatever conversion you do (23.976->24, 25->24, 25->23.976, 24->30, ... )

The thing is ... 24fps *is* the correct speed.

All this revolves around what one considers to be the correct Cinema speed, indeed.
It is assumed that Cinema is 23.976, because 99% of the cinema contents out there is 23.976fps. When the vast majority of the sources will be 24fps, i guess it'll be common knowledge, by then, that 24fps is the correct speed.
In fact ReClock is just ahaid of its time 8)
Later,

TSR

In fact ReClock is just ahaid of its time
You are being very generous. It says it has changed speed to @24fps and it may or may not have. It says it is resampling to 48048Hz and it may or may not be. Either you understand this stuff and Reclock is confusing or you don't and it means nothing anyway. "Cinema Mode" says it all.

Last edited:
All this revolves around what one considers to be the correct Cinema speed, indeed.
It is assumed that Cinema is 23.976, because 99% of the cinema contents out there is 23.976fps.
Wrong. Cinema = 24fps. The real speed. Not the "NTSC" or "PAL" speed put an DVDs, HD DVDs, BDs, ...

Back