• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Feature Request : Rename PS3_UPDATE Folders On Image Rip

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_r

I made an ISO copy of 'Eat Pray Love'. When playing to copy on my PS3 it told me that I had to update my firmware from 3.41 to 3.50. My PS3 is a JB and I don't want to do this. I was trying to figure out how the BD knew my firmware, and it's pretty straightforward. There are 2 folders (PS3_UPDATE and PS3_VPRM) and one file PS3_DISC.SFB.

@James So here's my request:

. Option to hide anything names PS3* from the root folder of the BD.

Why not use a decent Blu-ray player?
Also there is 3.55 CFW out.

3.55 is actually good as well. I'm running kmeow's custom firmware on my old fat PS3. Rather nice compared to the USB dongle. It also has better compatibility for newer games and other things.

The latest official firmware is 3.60 which completely nukes the chance of jailbreak'ing it. Stay clear of 3.56 and 3.60, unless you wanna lock the console down again.

You can also downgrade from 3.55 to 3.41 using most decent dongles. Personally i have a PS3Key which i started out with. It supports downgrading as well.

I guess this doesn't solve what you are asking, but just bumping to tell that you can JB at 3.55 too which is the better option now really since they removed the Other OS option.

And don't speak too loud about JB'ing your console. Sony might sue you to the moon for that :bang:

I'm aware of the 3.55cfw too, but as a long term solution it's best that AnyDVD can rename these files and folders on the fly.

Why not just use Img Burn to create your ISOs and leave those folders out of the rip? Just select the BDMV folder and the Certificate folder. Simple, takes the same amount of time as the built in ripper and, for me at least, solved some image artifact issues that I had when using the built in ripper.

Why not just use Img Burn to create your ISOs and leave those folders out of the rip? Just select the BDMV folder and the Certificate folder. Simple, takes the same amount of time as the built in ripper and, for me at least, solved some image artifact issues that I had when using the built in ripper.

Huh? What image artifact issues?

Why not use a decent Blu-ray player?
Also there is 3.55 CFW out.

The PS3 IS a decent BD player. In fact it's one of the few that plays dual layer which is necessary when making 3D copies. I don't know anything about jailbraking a ps3. The lastest fw I have is the one enabling 3d. I certainly hope I don't have any problems with future 3d rips. I plan on doing quite a few more.

Most Blu-ray players that play BD-r's will play dual layer

Huh? What image artifact issues?

I'm assuming the statement is in reference to this thread, James: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=40199. It's almost a year old now.

I've never had any problems ripping with the AnyDVD ripper and then playing back the burned Blu-Ray on my 3 standalone BD players. I've used any other than the AnyDVD ripper for ripping my Blu-Ray discs.

Machete, can't play original in PS3 without forcing firmware update.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_6.8.0.2_Info_L_MACHETE.zip
    200.1 KB · Views: 4
I just wanted to bump this as a vote for this request. Maybe even making it a selectable feature.

I usually just rip the folders to a drive and re-burn them, so it's easy enough to delete the PS3 updates (when I remember to look for them...), but if I need to rip to an ISO it would be very handy to have AnyDVD rename these folders for me. Especially if they are on a 3D title which has to be an ISO rip...

Especially with Cinavia becoming an even bigger threat, I don't want my roommate or some 'idiot' friend/family member going 'oh, I'll update his firmware for him!' :)

As far as I'm aware the only firmwares that appear on discs are for the PS3 and if you're already able to play back 3D titles then I'm pretty certain you'll already have cinavia on your PS3 anyway. Also the discs with firmwares on usually have them on there because without them the PS3 may have issues playing back that disc.

Its bad if you have a CFW and you have to have a higher FW to play the disk (but only as Sony says so).

As far as I'm aware the only firmwares that appear on discs are for the PS3 and if you're already able to play back 3D titles then I'm pretty certain you'll already have cinavia on your PS3 anyway.

Like I said, I have a way around the Cinavia issue for now, but I can't upgrade my PS3 past 3.55. And, yes, it's specifically firmwares for the PS3. If the firmware is present on the disc, the disc won't play if it's a newer firmware that what you have on the system (and it has nothing to do with playback ability...)

Also the discs with firmwares on usually have them on there because without them the PS3 may have issues playing back that disc.

That is what Sony might want you to believe, but nothing could be further from the truth... Every disc I have plays fine even on the old 3.01 firmware. Sony puts the latest available firmware on nearly EVERY title they release, especially lately, since they are desperately trying to get as many PS3s above 3.55 as possible (to date, I believe, any firmware above 3.55 is not customizable, at least not easily).

I know what I'm doing with my PS3. Currently, it _thinks_ it's running 3.7, even though it's actually running a modified 3.55 (I'll have to change this again when 4.0 starts appearing on discs...). I don't want it to update, and I don't NEED it to update. It's never had an issue playing back a disc, even ones that are coming out next week.

It's not really a critical issue since you can easily delete the folders yourself before burning (or use a hex-editor and change the directory names in an ISO), it just seems like this would be a really useful feature for AnyDVD. It already helps you defeat copy protection, BD-Live, forced startup trailers and region code... Why not forced firmware updates as well? Especially since there's no effort involved... If folder name = "PS3_*" then rename to "PS3_Any!*". It's not like it even has to be tested since it has no affect on the playback of the disc...

Actually you do need some of these updates as they fix java menu issues on some discs that even after running through AnyDVD and removing encryption and the folders the discs still wouldn't play until you updated the firmware. I haven't used my PS3 for any recent discs as I now use my PC instead, but I know I've had issues in the past where the menu's wouldn't work unless I updated.

Actually you do need some of these updates as they fix java menu issues on some discs that even after running through AnyDVD and removing encryption and the folders the discs still wouldn't play until you updated the firmware. I haven't used my PS3 for any recent discs as I now use my PC instead, but I know I've had issues in the past where the menu's wouldn't work unless I updated.

Never seen that on a PS3 myself.. And I have access to 7 different PS3s on all different versions of firmwares for testing purposes that I use daily (not counting my two personal machines at home)... The only problem I've ever seen on a PS3 was the Sunshine issue where the movie Sunshine wouldn't play properly AFTER updating the firmware to a certain version. The studio had to press new discs to solve the problem, not a new firmware (as it was, technically, a programming bug). :D Not saying it's never happened, but out of the 7 PS3s and 11 other Blu-ray players, it's always the PS3s that play things back flawlessly (assuming the disc is programmed properly at least...), regardless of the firmware version. I don't work with every studio, so I don't see every disc or anything, but I certainly get through more than the average user...

But still, that's not really the issue.

I'd like to make discs that don't FORCE me to update. That's what AnyDVD should be about, giving us the CHOICE... Just like giving us the choice to make backups of our discs. It would just be nice if AnyDVD would give us the option of disabling this 'feature' automatically. If the PS3 would allow you to just select 'no thanks' and continue playing the movie, it would be no big deal, but unfortunately it doesn't. Are you actually trying to argue _against_ adding this functionality? If it's a feature you can turn off, do you really care if it gets added or not (assuming you would never use it)?

I just fear this problem is going to get worse as time goes on, especially if Sony gets other studios to start including the firmware updates (which I think maybe they already have, I could have sworn I saw it on a non-Sony disc once already...)

If there's a disc out there that simply won't work on a PS3 unless it's updated to the latest firmware, then I'll rip the disc and pull the feature out of it and burn it separately with no menus.

I made an ISO copy of 'Eat Pray Love'. When playing to copy on my PS3 it told me that I had to update my firmware from 3.41 to 3.50. My PS3 is a JB and I don't want to do this. I was trying to figure out how the BD knew my firmware, and it's pretty straightforward. There are 2 folders (PS3_UPDATE and PS3_VPRM) and one file PS3_DISC.SFB.

@James So here's my request:

. Option to hide anything names PS3* from the root folder of the BD.

Seems like a simple enough request and solution. Not sure why everyone seems to have a problem with this or wants to debate you on it! :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back