• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Feature Request: Option for AnyDVD to Auto-Update

Even if I still have to manually update my PCs, I would very much appreciate if I didn't have to un-check the "Desktop Shortcut" option every single time on every single computer.

My Start Menu is for shortcuts. I don't need clutter on my desktop.

AnyDVD HD offers updates very frequently (thanks to the devs for their dedicated work). Inevitably, I end up with a desktop shortcut after every few updates and I have to manually delete it. It's not a big deal, but I often find that I have limited input options around me for my Media Center computer (attached only to a TV) and I don't like that I have to keep cleaning up my desktop. Perhaps the option can default to off if it detects that AnyDVD HD is already installed and I chose previously to decline the shortcut?

I bought all the SlySoft products with lifetime updates, so I actually feel guilty for all of the load I put on SlySoft's servers (downloading updates on multiple machines). I often don't even use AnyDVD HD until a handful of other updated versions have been installed. If someone could make a peer-to-peer update distribution model, secured and authenticated so only SlySoft could publish updates to it, I would certainly offer my bandwidth to support it (3mbps+ upload capacity).

Even if I still have to manually update my PCs, I would very much appreciate if I didn't have to un-check the "Desktop Shortcut" option every single time on every single computer.

I want desktop icons on every single one of my computers. When I exit Anydvd for testing purposes, I don't want to hunt around for the icon.

I don't need clutter on my desktop.

I do.

I want desktop icons on every single one of my computers. When I exit Anydvd for testing purposes, I don't want to hunt around for the icon.

I do.

That's good. I don't mind at all if the option is selected by default on the first install. If it's updating an install and sees that I either deleted the desktop shortcut or declined it on the previous install, it should not be re-added by default during update installations. The shortcuts on my desktop are over-sized media-specific shortcuts.

If I specifically de-select it before the first installation, it's tedious that I have to de-select it every time I update (I'm using alternative input devices with my Media Center). I also have to delete it from the desktop when I forget to un-check it while updating.

Think of it this way:
Every time I install AdobeReader, I disable all of its browser integration (for stability) and other bloat (the so-called "speed launcher" background process is a ridiculous, flawed concept). All that bloat gets added right back when it updates. Its enough to give me a REALLY irritated feeling toward Adobe. It should ask me if I want to keep my previous preferences. I get the impression that Adobe devs don't care what I want and each update just $#17s all over my computer.

By contrast, this is only a MINOR annoyance. I am extremely pleased with the frequency of updates from SlySoft devs.

Anyway, if you allowed shortcut icons on your desktop for everything you use, then I guess you end up hunting for the icons anyway.

The Start Menu already displays the icons I use most frequently, and I can easily fit 15+ on a 1080p screen. I would almost never need to go to "All Programs" on the Start Menu.

Last edited:
That's good. I don't mind at all if the option is selected by default on the first install. If it's updating an install and sees that I either deleted the desktop shortcut or declined it on the previous install

Ah, o.k., fair enough, I guess

Anyway, if you allowed shortcut icons on your desktop for everything you use

I don't

then I guess you end up hunting for the icons anyway.

No. I know exactly where everything is. And I have no desire to ever go into the start menu (which is another reason why I have a Logitech G15 keyboard . . . and soon to be G19 keyboard).

Last edited:
And Webslinger's comment demonstrates clearly why options are good in programs. So back to topic, why not n option for those who want to auto update, without a desktop icon? Would this be so hard to produce?

Webslinger, don't your icons get all messed up when you uninstall/install (or maybe even just update) your ATI drivers? The installation usually switches from 1080p resolution (or whatever you have it at) momentarily and messes all the icons. I kind of get around this on my laptop by sorting by date modified, but still, when you install a program, the shortcut gets placed before all the folders and the manually-made shortcuts, and of course you can't put your icons where you want them this way. Sorting is a mess.

On my HTPC connected to a plasma I had some slight burn-in when I had the icons on desktop, so I now use the Start button (or Win key) and start typing the name, I've found it as easy or more than having to find and click the icon. At least on Win 7, I've found that, when it finds more than one shortcut with the same name, it learns which one you choose more frequently, so it will start appearing first eventually.

Webslinger, don't your icons get all messed up when you uninstall/install (or maybe even just update) your ATI drivers?

No. Not being able to install Cats at all is becoming a headache for me, however, but that's another discussion (I can install Cats; it's just that the process is becoming exceedingly frustrating with each new release). I also don't have a ton of icons on my desktop. I usually have my macro keys assigned to different programs. But I do keep the Anydvd icon on my desktop.

I mostly have the anydvd icon and a bunch of games. I do sort my icons by date as well.

Last edited:
is there anyway to do the autoupdate with an external program if Slysoft will not add this?

Webslinger- is this from James or another person from within Slysoft? I just noticed your disclaimer at the bottom of your signature... :)

Webslinger- is this from James or another person from within Slysoft? I just noticed your disclaimer at the bottom of your signature... :)

I don't work for Slysoft.

But I've been told it'll be ready for testing . . .

attachment.php

Last edited:
The auto-update feature was begged for for ages and James has said it will be added. It will be added. I suspect the developers will be able to fully implement and test the feature without needing outside testers. When the feature is incorporated we'll know. We'll know... when we know.

I consider the addition of this auto-update feature to fall close to last on a list of things I'd hope that James, Peer, Fernando, etc, are actually spending time on with regard to the software. I''m just silly because I want the software to remove protections for SD DVDs and Blu-ray discs and consider that and bug fixes a priority.

Last edited:
Since auto-updates are now officially on the table (though I agree it should be low priority), would you please include auto-updates for the BDPHash.bin file? I have no problem with version updates (especially thanks to Bumblebee :D ); but installing BDPHash.bin updates between new versions is a hassle--especially in Vista, where installing the downloaded file in Windows Explorer requires copying from the download directory, navigating to C:\Program Files\SlySoft\AnyDVD (a lengthy process in the directory tree), pasting (with warning and UAC prompt), and finally clearing the Internet block on the file.

Back