• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Export Plex/Kodi Library To HTML (Page)

zanetti

as the title says, looking for a way to export either my plex or kodi library into a HTML page, with as much video/audio info, episodes and cast metadata, posters, season posters etc. tried plex-export and web-tools for plex but either i get nothing, or i have to actually run PHP server in the background for even be able to preview library. and i think season posters are missing. so, does anyone know a way to semi-easily export either of libraries to HTML? thank you. cheers!

p.s. iimporting into anything or using a new catalogue software is out of the question unless (!) that software can import, dunno...csv export from plex or .xml export from kodi. and be able to fetch correct artwork etc.

Tautulli is less an export, more of a Monitor/Statistics/History tool for Plex, but maybe you could give it a try...

I use Tautulli and I do not think it does that. From what I have experiences it shows you usage and current activity vs. entire library.

I am personally not sure of a way to get an export of Plex's DB of your libraries.

I do perform an export of such data from time to time but I do this via EMDB as it has a CSV and HTML export.

I do perform an export of such data from time to time but I do this via EMDB as it has a CSV and HTML export.
yeah, tautulli is a nogo, and scraping all over again especially series is a def nogo, lol. i did manage to get a partial export via webtools for plex, but as i said there are no customizations of the final HTML at least not without tinkering with HTML code which is an uncharted territory for me.
Tautulli is less an export, more of a Monitor/Statistics/History tool for Plex, but maybe you could give it a try...
yes, i have it installed. i dont believe it does exports, at least not anything that might be used to create a HTML page.

So ... what exactly are you trying to do with that export?
If I look at my Plex Metadata folder with a mere 1k movies and 7k tv episodes, that one alone is around 6GB ... you should expect the export to be that size (maybe half, which still is huge for HTML)

Have you tried webtools-ng ?

i tried webtools-ng but... i got it to export my library and then i used that for plex-export template but i have to run PHP in the background to even get the preview of the page (readme file says just to use index.html to view but it does not work). btw, i dont need full high res posters and stuff, they could be smaller to save space. in fact, to save space for movies only movie title + poster + imdb link so info can be read there and for tv series just series poster, but when i click on it i get season posters displayed... thats all, lol. ok, episode list per season as well. or even better, series poster... click... season posters and for all info imdb link. that shouldnt be too big, r-right? 4004 movies and 1329 tv shows (53621 episodes, just checked lol jesus christ)...

tbh, i want a HTML list i can upload somewhere so family and friends can check. or me, just to marvel at it. lol. and as i said, yes. if only had i followed kodi/plex naming structures for tv shows i couldve used media manager software of some kind, let it scrape tv shows, maybe correct here and there a few... but ALL 53000 episodes are in s01e01 format. no year. no show name. no episode name. i know, i know... haha

Last edited:
i tried webtools-ng but... i got it to export my library and then i used that for plex-export template but i have to run PHP in the background to even get the preview of the page (readme file says just to use index.html to view but it does not work). btw, i dont need full high res posters and stuff, they could be smaller to save space. in fact, to save space for movies only movie title + poster + imdb link so info can be read there and for tv series just series poster, but when i click on it i get season posters displayed... thats all, lol. ok, episode list per season as well. or even better, series poster... click... season posters and for all info imdb link. that shouldnt be too big, r-right? 4004 movies and 1329 tv shows (53621 episodes, just checked lol jesus christ)...

tbh, i want a HTML list i can upload somewhere so family and friends can check. or me, just to marvel at it. lol. and as i said, yes. if only had i followed kodi/plex naming structures for tv shows i couldve used media manager software of some kind, let it scrape tv shows, maybe correct here and there a few... but ALL 53000 episodes are in s01e01 format. no year. no show name. no episode name. i know, i know... haha
Again, I suggest EMDB. You can run it however you wish and not dink or mess with your Plex/Kodi at all. It keeps as much or more info than Plex and you can add custom fields. And it natively has an export. And yes it can handle large collections (mine is near yours) and movies as well as series. And it's free so you can try it and dink with it to see if you like.

Also, just a mention. Some people view using the Lord's name in vain as offensive. I am not saying you cannot, I am not even saying you shouldn't. I am just starting that reality.

Some people view using the Lord's name in vain as offensive. I am not saying you cannot, I am not even saying you shouldn't. I am just starting that reality.
i think i tried EMDB, and i got czech plots for 150 movies out of first 500 scanned, left it over night, lol. movies arent the problem, tv shows are. thats why im looking for a shortcut and see if there is one that can use whats already there in kodi/plex. on account of using our lord and saviours name in vain... ive already did my penance. 10 hail marys and 20 our fathers. i also blasphemed today (not here, in private) so two birds with one stone. i guess. thanks for pointing it out.

but ALL 53000 episodes are in s01e01 format. no year. no show name. no episode name
So like root\<show name folder>\s01\s01e01.mp4
Or maybe all seasons/episodes in one folder?
That's easily solved with tools, that put the containing folder name into the filenames below ... heck, that can even be done with a powershell oneliner ... ok, maybe 5 lines max
Year and episode name shouldn't matter much, most cataloging tools get their data from online databases, where the show's name and episode numbering in the filename is sufficient.

i think i tried EMDB, and i got czech plots for 150 movies out of first 500 scanned, left it over night, lol. movies arent the problem, tv shows are. thats why im looking for a shortcut and see if there is one that can use whats already there in kodi/plex. on account of using our lord and saviours name in vain... ive already did my penance. 10 hail marys and 20 our fathers. i also blasphemed today (not here, in private) so two birds with one stone. i guess. thanks for pointing it out.
I don't know how you have your stuff saved, meaning how you name your files. I roll with the Plex format and EMDB has no issue there for me. Does it sometimes ask me which title? Yes because I have it set to on any point of confusion. I don't let it assume. The trick to EMDB is not to install it and set it loose on your stuff, you have to decide how you wish to use it. Given the large set of data you are trying to deal with, I doubt you will find an easy one-size-fits-all situation. The upshot of using EMDB is you can keep using it and have it catalog your media in a far more useful format than Plex alone.

Notice how I disagreed with your assessment of EMDB, yet I did so in a helpful way and managed not to mock you. That is how people are supposed to treat one another.

So like root\<show name folder>\s01\s01e01.mp4
Or maybe all seasons/episodes in one folder?
That's easily solved with tools, that put the containing folder name into the filenames below ... heck, that can even be done with a powershell oneliner ... ok, maybe 5 lines max
Year and episode name shouldn't matter much, most cataloging tools get their data from online databases, where the show's name and episode numbering in the filename is sufficient.
root\series\name.of.the.show.s01.2001.bluray.x264.ac3-release\s01e01.mkv . basically, the only hing telling something which show it is is the folder name. each season has its own folder inside series folder. kodi ignores everything, but plex recognizes the show name but leaves s01/s02/etc because year comes after that. in either case, i manually add each season to both. 7000 times. twice. im persistent, maybe even stubborn some would say. lol.

i tried metax and it works for adding metadata to each episodes mkv/mp4 file, but then again i havent tried whether neither kodi nor plex would benefit from it. i have to specify the shows manually but then metax pulls everything from tvdb for each episode and after a few test runs i can say confidently that that sheeit works. but, thats for metadata for tv shows. for movies, if i run files through metax and it pulls metadata, kodi recognizes it just fine, but i cant add additional artwork, artwork beef just does nothing. so i have to add movies to kodi manually (by refresh while adding) as well. then artwork beef pulls all the remaining artwork.

if only plex didnt leave s01/s02 when adding shows. there. those are my predicaments, lol. pita, i agree. thus, using new media manager software to catalogue everything again is out of the question, lol. i do it once. do it twice, fine. i aint doing it thrice, darn it! haha. oh, and i aint renaming everything because then id have to add everything to kodi and plex again. actually, a conundrum it is! no, a quagmire. cheers!

Last edited:
Given the large set of data you are trying to deal with, I doubt you will find an easy one-size-fits-all situation.

Notice how I disagreed with your assessment of EMDB, yet I did so in a helpful way and managed not to mock you. That is how people are supposed to treat one another.
thats why i thought of already existing plex/kodi databases and figured there has to be a way to extract that data and use it as a starting point. and btw, i wasnt mocking anyone. i am a believer. in christ we stand. i am aware this may come across as mocking or being cheeky, but it aint. or at least i think it aint, lol. cheers!

Reactions: DQ
thats why i thought of already existing plex/kodi databases and figured there has to be a way to extract that data and use it as a starting point. and btw, i wasnt mocking anyone. i am a believer. in christ we stand. i am aware this may come across as mocking or being cheeky, but it aint. or at least i think it aint, lol. cheers!
My apologies, I took that the wrong way.

As far as snagging that info from Plex/Kodi I don't see how that is going to happen. Now with that said James mentioned running Kodi from sql for redundancy and ease of access. Even if you don't need that maybe there is a script/import process out there to convert your native Kodi DB to sql. If there is you could probably install mysql, run the conversion and then export from there.

My apologies, I took that the wrong way.

As far as snagging that info from Plex/Kodi I don't see how that is going to happen. Now with that said James mentioned running Kodi from sql for redundancy and ease of access. Even if you don't need that maybe there is a script/import process out there to convert your native Kodi DB to sql. If there is you could probably install mysql, run the conversion and then export from there.
interesting idea. but, will it pull all the right posters? i think it should. hm. anyone got a good guide to kodi sql thingy? was checking kodi wiki and the tut there is pretty old, at least a few years. cheers!

Reactions: DQ
sooo, how about correcting the names of the files? So you can throw any cataloging tool at it...
Can't be that hard, can it?

Damn, I just realized, you answered to my previous post :banghead:

You don't need to re-add everything to Plex ... IIRC when renaming correctly, Plex remembers that is already knows the show

Edit again:
I just put that into a quick and dirty Powershell one-liner:
Open Powershell, cd to the directory you want to start in and try first:
Code:
$files = (gci -File -Recurse);foreach ($file in $files) {if ($file.name -notmatch $file.Directory.Name) {$file|Rename-Item -NewName {$_.Directory.Name+"_"+$_.name} -whatif}}
That one doesn't do anything it just tells you what it would do.
If you think that is correct, execute it again but remove the "-whatif"

Explanation:
The first part gathers all files from the current and all below directories
next is a loop through all those files, so the following applies to all files
if the current filename does not contain the name pf the parent directory:
the file gets renamed like parentDirectoryName_currentFileName.mkv

you can change the underscore to any (valid) separator you like

Last edited:
as the title says, looking for a way to export either my plex or kodi library into a HTML page, with as much video/audio info, episodes and cast metadata, posters, season posters etc. tried plex-export and web-tools for plex but either i get nothing, or i have to actually run PHP server in the background for even be able to preview library. and i think season posters are missing. so, does anyone know a way to semi-easily export either of libraries to HTML? thank you. cheers!

p.s. iimporting into anything or using a new catalogue software is out of the question unless (!) that software can import, dunno...csv export from plex or .xml export from kodi. and be able to fetch correct artwork etc.
I was working on my Plex install because I broke it. I ran across an option where in "Troubleshooting" you can download the Plex DB. This made me think about your question.

I tried this and you get a file with no extension. I took a shot thinking it might be a SQLite DB (I know a lot of apps use that) and sure enough I can read everything in the DB. Now, it's stored like you would store stuff in a DB where different sets of data are in different tables. But you could write a simple query (or just export tables) and probably also pull it into Excel. There is a SQLite ODBC driver for excel.

The names/titles were in a table called "fts4_metadata_titles".

I would assume you could use this to potentially get the data into a format so that you can easily convert it to HTML.

Back