• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Exception error with American Hustle redbox disc (dump inside)

I don't know how many times people need to be told not to mention Redbox or any rental discs in this forum. This is strictly for back-ups of movies that you own. You can be banned, but even worst, this site can be sued or closed down. Believe me, just look at the DVDFab situation, there are powers with tons of cash that would like nothing better that to shut down Slysoft.

I don't know how many times people need to be told not to mention Redbox or any rental discs in this forum. This is strictly for back-ups of movies that you own.

Wrong, it has been stated that it is acceptable to backup rental discs, if you have own the orignal itself but it's "defective" in a way that prevents you from backing it up

You can be banned

wrong again, you don't get banned for stating you backed up a rental disc. People usually just stop helping if that has been stated.

but even worst, this site can be sued or closed down.
Believe me, just look at the DVDFab situation, there are powers with tons of cash that would like nothing better that to shut down Slysoft.

They can try but so far slysoft is safe on a nice little island

Wrong, it has been stated that it is acceptable to backup rental discs, if you have own the orignal itself but it's "defective" in a way that prevents you from backing it up

In addition to the above, some people don't play the rented movie from the disc, they prefer to rip and play from an HTPC. Also, some can do the playback at their leisure versus having the disc back the next day or so. It would be up to them to make sure they have deleted the movie afterward.

A few points:

1. LincolnRider stated that the disc scanned for a long long time and then the exception was thrown. No mention of copying the disc or doing anything wrong. It didn't even get that far! The disc was never readable by the PC.
  2. Why would one not have AnyDVD running in the background?
  3. I rented American Hustle from Redbox on the day of release and watched it on a PC with AnyDVD running. I was running whichever version of AnyDVD was the latest release at the time be it beta or official. I had no issue.

The position for dealing with rentals is that if you don't wish to help then don't help. People shouldn't flaunt that they copy rentals. Information gathered relating to rentals and the protections, etc, can be helpful to Slysoft. There is absolutely nothing wrong with watching a movie on an HTPC with AnyDVD running. There was no reason to pounce on LincolnRider who was seeking help.

Someone more knowledgeable than I will have to take a look at the dump log.

A few points:

1. LincolnRider stated that the disc scanned for a long long time and then the exception was thrown. No mention of copying the disc or doing anything wrong. It didn't even get that far! The disc was never readable by the PC.
  2. Why would one not have AnyDVD running in the background?
  3. I rented American Hustle from Redbox on the day of release and watched it on a PC with AnyDVD running. I was running whichever version of AnyDVD was the latest release at the time be it beta or official. I had no issue.

The position for dealing with rentals is that if you don't wish to help then don't help. People shouldn't flaunt that they copy rentals. Information gathered relating to rentals and the protections, etc, can be helpful to Slysoft. There is absolutely nothing wrong with watching a movie on an HTPC with AnyDVD running. There was no reason to pounce on LincolnRider who was seeking help.

Someone more knowledgeable than I will have to take a look at the dump log.

This is correct folks, I did not intend to backup a rental. AnyDVD is there to help me so I can watch the movies with an older version of PowerDVD on my "HTPC" hooked up to my 60" Plasma.

Way too many assumptions here.

AnyDVD would not read the disc, however, without it running, the PC was able to open and browse the disc fine.

AnyDVD would not read the disc, however, without it running, the PC was able to open and browse the disc fine.

hmm I think my drive is the same as yours...but with Anydvd HD running I didn't experience the same problem as you had with reading or playing the movie and I use WinDVD 11 Pro. I didn't stream like what you did just played on from my Desktop. But I do have a ISO of the movie that with the Desktop on and my laptop I can use VCD and mount and play the movie with WinDVD 11 Pro. AFAIK

But probably not able to play it. Looks like a dirty and / or defective disc and / or drive to me.

I stand corrected and didn't mean to get on the OP, just warn him. Attitudes here have evidently changed over the years because the warning I gave was the one I received years ago when the logfile I sent in said "Rental" in it. I was refused help from the mod and the thread closed and received a PM warning. But just as some have criticized me here and stuck up for the OP (which is fine), don't label me as some grinch. I was actually trying to help the guy so that in future requests he simply doesn't mention renting from Redbox. Especially in light of the recent crack-down on DVDFab.

Last edited:
But probably not able to play it. Looks like a dirty and / or defective disc and / or drive to me.

for the heck of it, ImgBurn was able to make a full ISO without any hiccps [without ADVD running]. Then I used ADVD on the mounted, still-encrypted ISO and was able to decrypt fine as I watched the movie. Im sure this method won't always work with all disks but was a work-around.

Back