• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Embedded VOBSUBs In Plex

zanetti

So, I decided to embedd some VOBSUB subtitles into a few DVD REMUXes and while I was able to create IDX/SUB files from SRT in Subtitle Edit, I am now facing a problem.

First try was for a BluRay rip of my own. I extracted subtitles into SRT, opened SE, clicked on 'batch convert', dropped SRT files in, selected VOBSUB for format, set the resolution for VOBSUB (same as video files), tinkered with subtitle position and size (I even stretched them so they look like ones youd get on a DVD - org: -153, 0 and scale: 122%, 100%) , converted and then embedded them into MKVs. When I play those file on my HTPC in Potplayer all looks good - size, scaling, position... all kosher. When I play them in Kodi all scaling modifications scaling wise are lost, but position is as it should be and size looks good.

Now, I jumped onto DVD REMUXes. I did two or three and followed same method(s) except I skipped stretching/scaling modifications (I used the same font, btw). I changed resolution for VOBSUBs down to 720*480 and lowered the size of the font. On HTPC in Kodi and Potplayer all looks good, BUT... in Plex on both Shield and my Sony TV those subtitles are huuuuge. Like, half of the 65'' screen are subtitles! I tried lowering the font size but then they are too small in Potplayer/Kodi, lol. I tried scaling down to 70%, and even though they are now smaller, they are still almost half the screen. I tried Plex on Android (Galaxy Tab S6 Lite), Plex on iOS (iPad 7th Gen) and in those VOBSUBs are also huge (although not as huge as on a 65'' screen, and by that I mean they are not taking up half the screen).

What am I missing? I tried disabling/enabling 'ignore subtitle styling' in Plex, but of course that probably only works for SRT/SSA and such, aka not image based subtitles. Should I just chuck it to Plex being 'tarded, since it still is when it comes to subtitles (especially image based) or am I doing something wrong? I know Plex clients are also a bit 'tarded, meaning what works in Plex on Shield does not mean it will work in Plex on Roku, or other clients and vice versa, but now I am facing huuuge VOBSUBs in ALL Plex clients, while Kodi and Potplayer on my HTPC both play nicely with these VOBSUBs. And to make things worse, other VOBSUBs (that I did not create out of SRTs, but rather simply ripped them in VOBSUB format from DVD) in all Plex clients are just fine. WTH? I just checked a few of those VOBSUBs and IDX files for those show absolutely nothing different from IDX files for VOBSUBs I created. Resolution/align/scale/size/org... ALL parameters in IDX files between these two are identical (bexcept of course palette aka font color). And those are displayed the same no matter the platform, OS or Plex client. It's (for example) Verdana, size 27, grey color, border 3 - everywhere, no exceptions. Why are those VOBSUBSs ripped from DVD consistent, but my VOBSUBs from SRT so inconsistent when it comes to actually displaying them? What am I missing? If anyone has any ideas, you are more than welcome.

And, yes. Goes without saying. I don't actually 'need' VOBSUBs, since out of 66000 episodes I use(d) SRTs for 65900 of them, but am wondering why isn't it working, damn it!? Haha. It's now starting to pis* me off slightly. Why? WHY?? FUNCTION AS I TOLD YOU TO FUNCTION YOU STUPID COMPUTER!!!!

Last edited:
Shameless bumperino. Tried Txt2Vobsub, but that one requires additional fiddling with IFO files regarding palettes (although everything works for what I need, black borders are displayed light blue and it looks super weird). Other than that evertyhing was fine: size, position, scaling... so, I switched to AVIAddXSubs. This one is also acceptable, fast, and everything works well except... I dont get any subtitles displayed in Plex on my 7th gen iPad, lol. Plex Android, fine. Plex Shield, fine. Plex Sony TV, fine... damn it. I'll try fiddling some more, but still if anyone has any ideas, or suggestions, you are more than welcome. Thanks. Cheers!

EDIT: Well, well, well. All is well. But not before I realized that no, subtitle size was still too large in Plex on Shield/Android/etc, despite me thinking it was ok. So I dropped the size from 25 to 22 and now everything is as it should be. Mind you, 22 ain't that different from 25, I dunno why 25 was 4x larger, but honestly I don't care. Summa summarum, don't use SubtitleEdit, use AVIAddXSubs. I used Calibri font, size 22, width 100%, no bold, outline 2, subtitle bitmap 720x576 (after all, these were DVD REMUXes), I checked Fullscreen and left the SubWidth at 87%. And most importantly - positioning. Default values upon opening program were way off, subtitles were placed in the middle of the screen, skewed at least 50% left and no change in subtitle bitmap section did the trick. So I fiddled a bit and went with 360 for Center At (CP) and 530 for Vertical Position (VP). Phew. The more you know, eh? Anyways, hopefully someone finds this useful. Cheers!

Last edited:
Back