• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVDs With Constant Stutters, Dropouts

Suntower

Hi,

I've been happily using DVD Anywhere and CloneDVD for -years- without problems with same Lite-On 16x burner. I currently use Verbatim DVD+R 'Life Series' which are made in Taiwan.

Recently, I've been running across -several- 'duds' all with the same symptom: they rip (apparently) fine, and CloneDVD burns without error in DVD-5 mode. However, the resultant DVD has lots of skips and dropouts.

Sometimes I'll burn 2-3 copies in CloneDVD and then if that fails, I re-rip with DVD Anywhere. I have no idea what 'fixes' the problem, but eventually it seems to 'work', but I often still notice a few 'glitches'... usually @ the menu or when the DVD loads. And then it 'settles down' and plays fine.

Yesterday I cam across one that simply will -not- copy. 'Thirty Minutes Or Less' from Sony. Made four burn attempts (using DVDs from different packages) and 2 attempts with DVD Anywhere and still stutters, dropouts and skips.

Here's the funny part(s):
1. The stutters are in -exactly- the same place on each copy.

2. When I think back on it, the ones I've had trouble with are -all- Sony.

QUESTIONS
1. is there something unique about -Sony- DVDs at this point in time, or is that a red herring.

2. From the above information, can someone give me some suggestions on what to try?

TIA,

---JC

My apologies for the 'brand malfunction'. I just take for granted that the thing 'just works'.

I had the preferred speed in CloneDVD set to 4x. I tried 3 sets of blanks---albeit all 3 are the same brand 'Verbatim Life Series' 16x DVD+R.

1. Is it safe to assume this is -not- a problem with the files ripped from AnyDVD? ie. is there a way to check the ripping against the original?

2. Is there a way to somehow check if it's the -burner- or the blanks?

I'm sure these have been asked a jillion times, but I keep coming back to the fact that it -seems- to happen only with Sony (at least in recent memory.)

TIA,

---JC

It could be a dying burner.
What is your burn speed?
It could be a bad batch of blanks.

:D

My apologies for the 'brand malfunction'. I just take for granted that the thing 'just works'.

I had the preferred speed in CloneDVD set to 4x. I tried 3 sets of blanks---albeit all 3 are the same brand 'Verbatim Life Series' 16x DVD+R.

1. Is it safe to assume this is -not- a problem with the files ripped from AnyDVD? ie. is there a way to check the ripping against the original?

2. Is there a way to somehow check if it's the -burner- or the blanks?

I'm sure these have been asked a jillion times, but I keep coming back to the fact that it -seems- to happen only with Sony (at least in recent memory.)

TIA, ---JC

Use AnyDVD to RIP TO HARDDISK not to ISO
Play that rip on the hard drive with a good software player.
If it works fine - then it's a burn issue for sure.
(and I highly suspect it's a burn issue, assuming your AnyDVD is up to date)

Try a different brand of blanks - borrow a blank even.
If the burn is still bad - it's likely the burner.

Also, if all is good 16x disks outta burn fine at 8x (but no more).

-W

Last edited:
Got it.

This just in... perhaps it's late-onset OCD, but for kicks I took an existing blank and tried burning again @ 8x. And the output is stutter-free.

I don't get it. I started doing 4x because I was told it was -more- reliable than 8x.

Just for my own edification: What gives?

---JC

Back