• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVD Playback Quits Unexpectedly

To coopervid: Young man, you have demonstrated a problematic attitude in your responses. I'm not going to respond further to any of your comments.

I have a problem to solve with a particular DVD, how a particular Netgear device fails on playback with the VIDEO-TS folder resulting from an AnyDVD copy. I welcome constructive comments focused on solving this problem.
You don't acknowledge that the Netgear device is the root of your problem. And no, I'm not a young man and had many hardware related issues in my long life. Therefore I know what I am speaking about. Don't be stubborn. Otherwise the problem is the one between the keyboard and the display...

You still need to post if you have your region set for your drive. Please post an AnyDVD status screen or an AnyDVD log file.

And I repeat myself. I got criticized for this before....DVDs are outdated. Low resolution. Today anybody should watch BDs / UHDs unless you have a 32" tube TV that is 20 years old. Upgrading these days to LED / OLED is supercheap....Forget DVDs unless your source is only available as DVDs.
That is your opinion, not mine. And since this is the DVD section, not very helpful.

That is your opinion, not mine. And since this is the DVD section, not very helpful.
Yup, DVDs are still fine. On my 42" plasma tv. And that's ignoring the simple fact that not even title gets released on (UHD) BD, or people have/can afford the extra cost of an (UHD) BD player/tv.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

You mentioned you were able to play the ripped movie…..
“One more note: If I jump to my Mac and run VLC, it plays the ripped folder properly”

But was that just the main movie, or the full menu structure including the extras etc. ?

Do you have any other playback method that will play the full DVD structure, apart from the Netgear and the MAC/VLC ?

Clarification -
- When I run CloneDVD with AnyDVD in the background, Clone DVD > Next > Next > DVD Files > Go!, the copy runs to normal completion, without complaints about a protected disc. CloneDVD is handling the protected disc properly, with the help of AnyDVD in the background. The failure is, as with AnyDVD, during playback on the Netgear.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Did you create a "movie only" copy *without* menus with CloneDVD?
Otherwise the output would be identical to AnyDVD. I assume the Netgear device has a problem with the autoring of this particular disc, so removing these parts should make the disc - at least the feature film - play on the Netgear.

Make sure to copy "single title" with CloneDVD. Make sure to untick "keep Menus". Maybe you can take a look at the CloneDVD manual (klick "Help").

And I repeat myself. I got criticized for this before....DVDs are outdated. Low resolution. Today anybody should watch BDs / UHDs unless you have a 32" tube TV that is 20 years old. Upgrading these days to LED / OLED is supercheap....Forget DVDs unless your source is only available as DVDs.
This may be true, but is not helpful to solve the problem.

Get a good media player like a CloneOppo. You have to deal with your player's restrictions. Don't blame any software here.

This may be true, but getting a new player for just one stubborn disc is probably like taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

This may be true, but getting a new player for just one stubborn disc is probably like taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
That's fun to do though

Yup, DVDs are still fine. On my 42" plasma tv. And that's ignoring the simple fact that not even title gets released on (UHD) BD, or people have/can afford the extra cost of an (UHD) BD player/tv.

Not to mention I do not have the time or money to get over 1000 titles on BD/UHD that I already have on DVD.

On my PS3 which upscales DVD's, I don't mind the picture quality of DVD's at all. I also hate navigating Blu-Rays. They don't navigate the same or the way they should. Plus, resuming playback on DVD almost always works. On Blu-Rays, it's 50/50.

Not to mention I do not have the time or money to get over 1000 titles on BD/UHD that I already have on DVD.
There are DVD titles that are not now, nor likely ever will be, available on BD.

Babylon 5 is one. Warner Bros. is one cheapo studio that doesn't want to spend money to get the TV standard FX up to BD resolution.

That might change if the B5 reboot is successful.

You mentioned you were able to play the ripped movie…..
“One more note: If I jump to my Mac and run VLC, it plays the ripped folder properly”

But was that just the main movie, or the full menu structure including the extras etc. ?

Do you have any other playback method that will play the full DVD structure, apart from the Netgear and the MAC/VLC ?

I'll recap everything, to make sure anomalies stand out.

Studio authored disc / play on STB DVD player:
- On disc insert, plays coming attractions then lands on DVD menu.
- inside the DVD menu, if I select PLAY, it shows the anti-piracy screens, R-rating screen, then the movie begins to play.
- inside the DVD menu, all navigation and selections work properly, including scene selections. Scene selections go directly to selected scene.

AnyDVD create VIDEO_TS folder from studio authored disc / play on Mac with VLC:
- When I select for play (double click) the VIDEO_TS folder, it goes directly to the DVD menu. Doesn't play coming attractions.
- inside the DVD menu, if I select PLAY, it shows the anti-piracy screens, R-rating screen, then the movie begins to play.
- inside the DVD menu, all navigation and selections work properly, including scene selections. Scene selections go directly to selected scene.

AnyDVD create VIDEO_TS folder from studio authored disc / play on Netgear EVA:
- When I select the movie for play, plays coming attractions then lands on DVD menu.
- inside the DVD menu, if I select PLAY, it shows the anti-piracy screens, R-rating screen, then playback stops.
- inside the DVD menu, all navigation and selections work properly, except scene selections. For any scene selection it shows the anti-piracy screens, R-rating screen, then playback stops.

it FEELS like AnyDVD didn't stitch together the navigation structure correctly.

Did this help clarify?

There are DVD titles that are not now, nor likely ever will be, available on BD.

Babylon 5 is one. Warner Bros. is one cheapo studio that doesn't want to spend money to get the TV standard FX up to BD resolution.

That might change if the B5 reboot is successful.

Gentlemen -

May I politely request that discussions of the benefits of BD, equipment uprgades, etc. be taken to a different thread?

I already have 8 x 4K screens, a 4K HDMI A/V distribution system, several integrated multi-channel audio systems, a 2-channel tube audio system, file server and a variety of antique and modern A/V sources, including 4K UHD. I'm quite aware of the benefits and pitfalls.

But sometimes, I have to deal with old media, which is why I still have a Victor Victrola model VV-XI, and need to deal with the particular DVD in question.

Thanks.

Otherwise the output would be identical to AnyDVD. I assume the Netgear device has a problem with the autoring of this particular disc, so removing these parts should make the disc - at least the feature film - play on the Netgear.

Make sure to copy "single title" with CloneDVD. Make sure to untick "keep Menus". Maybe you can take a look at the CloneDVD manual (klick "Help").

I may have missed this request. I'll go back and investigate.

OK - Signs of life.

I selected "Clone DVD", turned off "Preserve Menus", set the quality to Custom 6400 MB 100% (so it didn't invoke a transcoder), and let it fly.

When done, I went to the Netgear EVA and selected the ripped folder for playback. Movie playback began without coming attractions, the DVD menu, anti-piracy warnings, etc. All transport functions (play pause, stop next / prev track, fwd / rev scan, etc.) seem to operate properly.

Interestingly, when I hit the "Menu" button, a rudimentary menu shows on the screen that appears to be generated by the player, based on the VIDEO_TS folder structure. But it's not the DVD menu.

So, other than missing the DVD menu, which is a small loss, I consider the problem solved.

I do need to go back and purchase CloneDVD.

Thanks for everyone's help.

OK - Signs of life.

I selected "Clone DVD", turned off "Preserve Menus", set the quality to Custom 6400 MB 100% (so it didn't invoke a transcoder), and let it fly.

When done, I went to the Netgear EVA and selected the ripped folder for playback. Movie playback began without coming attractions, the DVD menu, anti-piracy warnings, etc. All transport functions (play pause, stop next / prev track, fwd / rev scan, etc.) seem to operate properly.

Interestingly, when I hit the "Menu" button, a rudimentary menu shows on the screen that appears to be generated by the player, based on the VIDEO_TS folder structure. But it's not the DVD menu.

So, other than missing the DVD menu, which is a small loss, I consider the problem solved.

I do need to go back and purchase CloneDVD.

Thanks for everyone's help.
I was reading this thread along with other stuff, and I'm glad that you got your issue resolved.

CloneDVD2 from elby is worth the price for its purchase, and I've been using it for 14 years, and it's worth every penny.

:)

You can select the "DVD+/-R DL" quality option and there would be no transcoder used also. It would be 100%.

Back