• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVD Playback Quits Unexpectedly

Hi -

Running AvyDVD HD 8.5.9.0 on Windows 10 Pro 20H2 Build 19042.1466

Playback device = Netgear EVA 9150

Disc title = Cake (Jennifer Aniston, Sam Worthington, 2015)

AnyDVD HD "rip video disc to hard disc" executes normally and terminates with no error messages.

The problem is during playback on the EVA: The disc playback begins normally, with several coming attractions then lands on the disc menu. If I select "PLAY" on the disc menu, screens about anti-piracy warning appear, followed by the "R-rated movie" warning, then playback stops abruptly. The first movie track doesn't play.

Additional info: In the disc menu, if I select "SETUP" or "EXTRAS", the menu navigation and selections seem to function normally. If I select "SCENES" and navigate around to select any scene, I encounter the same problem as above.

One more note: If I jump to my Mac and run VLC, it plays the ripped folder properly.

The Netgear EVA, while dated, is my primary playback device. It has performed very well over its life. I've had very few problems playing discs ripped by AnyDVD HD or its predecessors. Please don't suggest that I buy a newer playback device. It's just playing standard DVD VIDEO_TS folders. No magic required.

If you need more info, let me know.

The AnyDVD log file is attached.

Bob

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.5.9.0_Info_E_CAKE.ziplog
    183.3 KB · Views: 1
Hi -

Running AvyDVD HD 8.5.9.0 on Windows 10 Pro 20H2 Build 19042.1466

Playback device = Netgear EVA 9150

Disc title = Cake (Jennifer Aniston, Sam Worthington, 2015)

AnyDVD HD "rip video disc to hard disc" executes normally and terminates with no error messages.

The problem is during playback on the EVA: The disc playback begins normally, with several coming attractions then lands on the disc menu. If I select "PLAY" on the disc menu, screens about anti-piracy warning appear, followed by the "R-rated movie" warning, then playback stops abruptly. The first movie track doesn't play.

Additional info: In the disc menu, if I select "SETUP" or "EXTRAS", the menu navigation and selections seem to function normally. If I select "SCENES" and navigate around to select any scene, I encounter the same problem as above.

One more note: If I jump to my Mac and run VLC, it plays the ripped folder properly.

The Netgear EVA, while dated, is my primary playback device. It has performed very well over its life. I've had very few problems playing discs ripped by AnyDVD HD or its predecessors. Please don't suggest that I buy a newer playback device. It's just playing standard DVD VIDEO_TS folders. No magic required.

If you need more info, let me know.

The AnyDVD log file is attached.

Bob
I suggest you use elby CloneDVD2 and create a "movie only" copy for playback on your Netgear for this problematic disc.
Another unrelated observation: You PC drive is set to region 3 (Hong Kong, Korea, Taiwan...), is this intentional or a mistake? Your "Cake" disc is region 1.

Yes, the issues you describe may be, although it was described above as an unrelated observation, decryption errors based on incorrect regions being set. I am guessing on this Mac where the decrypted contents play correctly, you're using a different drive than the one in the Netgear? That drive in the Mac probably has its region set to 1, which matches the Cake disc and thus the decryptions are being done correctly.

If you are going to try to change your drive in the Netgear from region 3 to region 1, make SURE you exit AnyDVD completely before you change the region or it will not work.

Yes, the issues you describe may be, although it was described above as an unrelated observation, decryption errors based on incorrect regions being set. I am guessing on this Mac where the decrypted contents play correctly, you're using a different drive than the one in the Netgear? That drive in the Mac probably has its region set to 1, which matches the Cake disc and thus the decryptions are being done correctly.

If you are going to try to change your drive in the Netgear from region 3 to region 1, make SURE you exit AnyDVD completely before you change the region or it will not work.

The PC has an internal DVD region 1 drive that MIGHT be showing its age. When a disc is inserted, at a frequency increasing over time, it tries to identify the disc and after a minute gives up and ejects the disc. The internal drive is becoming less usable over time for DVD backup purposes. This is what happened with the Cake disc.

As an easy work-around, I bought an external USB drive, which usually works in the event that the internal drive doesn't in the scenario above. This is the drive where the log file was generated, and where you saw it was set for region 3. I didn't set it for region 3; it just came that way out of the box. I have backed-up other DVDs using the external DVD drive without any playback problems.

Two clarifications to note:
- Playback on the Mac was not from the original DVD or any DVD drive. It was done using VLC on the same decrypted VIDEO_TS folder used by the Netgear device.
- A few months ago, when the internal drive worked a bit more reliably, I successfully copied the Cake DVD using AnyDVD on the internal region 1 drive, and had the same playback problem on the Netgear. I conclude that the playback problem has nothing to do with the internal versus external drives nor their respective region settings.

I believe that the problem is rooted in something that AnyDVD is doing that creates an incorrect VIDEO_TS folder, which the Netgear can't handle, like the VIDEO_TS folder isn't being stitched together correctly.

I suggest you use elby CloneDVD2 and create a "movie only" copy for playback on your Netgear for this problematic disc.
Another unrelated observation: You PC drive is set to region 3 (Hong Kong, Korea, Taiwan...), is this intentional or a mistake? Your "Cake" disc is region 1.

I will investigate CloneDVD.

As to the DVD drive region setting, I will change it and run a test. But please see clarification #2 in my other reply above.

Does CloneDVD create a VIDEO_TS folder on my hard drive or is it just for burning a physical DVD?

I want a valid VIDEO_TS folder on my hard drive, not create a newly burned physical DVD.

It can if you tick the box that tells it to do so on the 'files output' tab. I do just that

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

"Write Existing Data / Files Output" button is greyed-out.

Selecting other options, CloneDVD complains that the disc "is not for use in copying protected DVDs."

AnyDVD removes the copy protection. Does CloneDVD? If not, it's an unsuitable solution.

"Write Existing Data / Files Output" button is greyed-out.

Selecting other options, CloneDVD complains that the disc "is not for use in copying protected DVDs."

AnyDVD removes the copy protection. Does CloneDVD? If not, it's an unsuitable solution.
You need to have AnyDVD running in the background.
EDIT: AnyDVD remove the copy protection for the whole computer. The OS, all programs, ...
Magic, isn't it?

As an easy work-around, I bought an external USB drive, which usually works in the event that the internal drive doesn't in the scenario above. This is the drive where the log file was generated, and where you saw it was set for region 3. I didn't set it for region 3; it just came that way out of the box. I have backed-up other DVDs using the external DVD drive without any playback problems.
Do yourself the favor, exit AnyDVD and set the region to 1.

I reset the region to 1, rebooted the PC, verified in device manager that Windows saw the new region 1 setting and re-ran AnyDVD.

The playback problem still occurs, so I'm comfortable removing region encoding as a source of the problem.

I'm currently running a test with CloneDVD (AnyDVD running in the background).

I reset the region to 1, rebooted the PC, verified in device manager that Windows saw the new region 1 setting and re-ran AnyDVD.

The playback problem still occurs, so I'm comfortable removing region encoding as a source of the problem.

I'm currently running a test with CloneDVD (AnyDVD running in the background).
Please post an AnyDVD log to verify that.

Yes, as I said "unrelated...". But setting the region will save you headaches in the future.

The CloneDVD with AnyDVD in the background test failed with the same failure mode.

Latest AnyDVD log showing updated region code is attached.

I'm pretty sure the discussion needs to focus on the disc in question and AnyDVD rather than side issues.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.5.9.0_Info_E_CAKE.ziplog
    128.6 KB · Views: 4
The CloneDVD with AnyDVD in the background test failed with the same failure mode.

Latest AnyDVD log showing updated region code is attached.

I'm pretty sure the discussion needs to focus on the disc in question and AnyDVD rather than side issues.
As the problem is CloneDVD thinking the disc is protected, the AnyDVD logfile is not really helping. You could point CloneDVD to the files created by AnyDVD as the source, but I don't understand, why CloneDVD behaves this way.

To use CloneDVD directly with the original disc, make sure, that
1.) AnyDVD is running and the drive is empty.
2.) Insert the source disc. Let AnyDVD finish the scan. Now the disc should become visible in Windows explorer.
3.) Now start CloneDVD. It should see an unprotected disc.

Clarification -
- When I run CloneDVD with AnyDVD in the background, Clone DVD > Next > Next > DVD Files > Go!, the copy runs to normal completion, without complaints about a protected disc. CloneDVD is handling the protected disc properly, with the help of AnyDVD in the background. The failure is, as with AnyDVD, during playback on the Netgear.

Clarification -
- When I run CloneDVD with AnyDVD in the background, Clone DVD > Next > Next > DVD Files > Go!, the copy runs to normal completion, without complaints about a protected disc. CloneDVD is handling the protected disc properly, with the help of AnyDVD in the background. The failure is, as with AnyDVD, during playback on the Netgear.
Buddy, you need to learn.....

Please follow all suggestions you get here.

And I repeat myself. I got criticized for this before....DVDs are outdated. Low resolution. Today anybody should watch BDs / UHDs unless you have a 32" tube TV that is 20 years old. Upgrading these days to LED / OLED is supercheap....Forget DVDs unless your source is only available as DVDs.

Clarification -
Get a good media player like a CloneOppo. You have to deal with your player's restrictions. Don't blame any software here.

To coopervid: Young man, you have demonstrated a problematic attitude in your responses. I'm not going to respond further to any of your comments.

I have a problem to solve with a particular DVD, how a particular Netgear device fails on playback with the VIDEO-TS folder resulting from an AnyDVD copy. I welcome constructive comments focused on solving this problem.

Back