• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVD number of sectors off by one?

markfilipak

Kindly excuse me if this has been addressed -- my search was rejected, words too common...
It appears that AnyDVD HD is reporting number of sectors off by one. For a particular DVD,
Windows Explorer reports 7,939,278,848 bytes (i.e., 3876601 sectors),
AnyDVD HD reports 3876602 sectors.

Maybe just a rounding issue? Don't even know how to calculate sectors lol

Hi. There is no rounding.

There's 2048 bytes/sector. Windows reports 7,939,278,848 bytes. That's 3876601 sectors.
AnyDVD HD reports 3876602 sectors. That's off by one.

"Off by one" is a common programming error.

There's 2048 bytes/sector. Windows reports 7,939,278,848 bytes. That's 3876601 sectors.

Either in Windows or AnyDVD. It is all so confusing. "ReadCapacity" lets the drive report the LBA of the last sector. To get the number of sectors, you need to add 1 (LBA starts with 0).
But it doesn't matter, nobody cares (except you :) )

Hey James!
Either in Windows or AnyDVD. It is all so confusing. "ReadCapacity" lets the drive report the LBA of the last sector. To get the number of sectors, you need to add 1 (LBA starts with 0).
But it doesn't matter, nobody cares (except you :) )
Hahaha... You're right, there! However, 1, 'off by one' may be a lead to other errors (...or not), and 2, it's not confusing: Your LBA 'count' is really an index into serial data, so it begins at zero. LBs (logical blocks) are not numbered, they just exist as a serial sequence.

PS: A total count is always ending_index+1.

Last edited:

It's 2048 user data but the RAW sectors of a DVD are different. I can't recall for CD it's 2352. Not sure that is relevant for this as not many drives can even read raw sectors (I have a few that do).

If it's a common programming error what does that mean for ripping DVDs to an ISO? Does it make any difference?

I have ripped thousands too. Except maybe for the occasional "can't rip" situation, off-by-one seems to make no difference. I noticed it because I write reviews and the number of bytes can be important for differentiating between releases of the same title.

The only people to whom it's important is me and James. Now that I know about it, I'm ignoring it. ...:)

It's 2048 user data but the RAW sectors of a DVD are different. I can't recall for CD it's 2352. Not sure that is relevant for this as not many drives can even read raw sectors (I have a few that do).

If it's a common programming error what does that mean for ripping DVDs to an ISO? Does it make any difference?
So, underneath UDF there's another file system with it's own sector architecture? I find that extremely hard to believe.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll leave it to you and James since you're the DVD experts ;)

Well, I know a bit. I'm a scientist-engineer with video experience, also. But you should consider James to be the only expert here.

Kindly excuse me if this has been addressed -- my search was rejected, words too common...
It appears that AnyDVD HD is reporting number of sectors off by one. For a particular DVD,
Windows Explorer reports 7,939,278,848 bytes (i.e., 3876601 sectors),
AnyDVD HD reports 3876602 sectors.
This is a strange off-by-one. Let me explain...

3876601 sectors would mean that a final sector index is 3876600 (i.e., one less than the number of sectors). AnyDVD HD reports 3876602 (i.e. one greater than the number of sectors). So, James's number of sectors is 2 greater than what would be expected for an off-by-one error.

I just think that's unexplained/unexplainable, and a reason for concern.

Well, I know a bit. I'm a scientist-engineer with video experience, also. But you should consider James to be the only expert here.
Vert impressive :)

Sure James knows this software inside and out, he's been working on it for God knows how long. I get it.

This is a strange off-by-one. Let me explain...

3876601 sectors would mean that a final sector index is 3876600 (i.e., one less than the number of sectors). AnyDVD HD reports 3876602 (i.e. one greater than the number of sectors). So, James's number of sectors is 2 greater than what would be expected for an off-by-one error.

I just think that's unexplained/unexplainable, and a reason for concern.
Luckily it's adding a sector, so in creating an ISO wouldn't it just have some null zeros at the end instead of being cut off? Not really a big issue if that's the case.

If on the other hand it was cutting off data that's a problem.

I doubt any of that is a problem. The actual rip sizes I've encountered have been correct. I think this issue is merely with the report shown when AnyDVD displays what it found prior to ripping. Nothing to fear.

I doubt any of that is a problem. The actual rip sizes I've encountered have been correct. I think this issue is merely with the report shown when AnyDVD displays what it found prior to ripping. Nothing to fear.
OK great :)

Back