• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVD blank media +R/-R and brand

texasrattler

I have been reading through the forums about media. I guess I am just trying to figure out what is really the best media in my area. I live in Texas(U.S.). I have a Sony cd/dvd drive. For the most part I only use Sony as that is what they mainly suggests I use for their drives. Sony has my compatibilty list as for +R's,Sony,Verbatiim?Mitsubishi Chemical Co.,and Taiyo Yuden Co. I am cureently using Sony 8x made in Japan and Sony 16x made in Taiwan. I don't have any problems burning with these discs. Are they good? As I said, no problems for me and they seem like good quality. If I get some Verbatim, is there a certain one I should look for? Like where they are made?

Last edited:
Sonys are typically not as good as Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim, on average, but Sonys aren't as bad as Memorex either.
I tend to avoid Verbatim that's made in India (by Moser Baer).

You can find Taiyo Yuden (don't buy valueline) from http://www.supermediastore.com/. Taiyo Yuden
tends to be slightly more reliable than Verbatim unless you encounter bonding issues in some of the 16x lines.

You can find Verbatim at newegg.com

dvd+r has an advantage in that you can change the booktype to "dvd-rom"; programs the check for booktype won't be able to tell if you're using an original disc or not.

Last edited:
Is Maxell that is made in Japan or Taiwan any good? It's rated speed is 8x. It's a 50 pack for $15. I know you said you don't like alot of Maxell but not sure if where these are made at are any good.

I do play on using Sony 8x and 16x. I will also get some Verbatims. I use to use Verbatims but was told years ago they were not good. Maybe they have changed since then or I was getting just bads one because of where they were being made.

Is Maxell that is made in Japan or Taiwan any good? It's rated speed is 8x. It's a 50 pack for $15. I know you said you don't like alot of Maxell but not sure if where these are made at are any good.

Only Maxell Broadcast Quality and Maxell Plus are decent (those are made in Japan). Regular Maxell you can find everywhere should be avoided. I don't think Maxell Broadcast Quality is being made anymore, but it may be possible to find some for sale.

I do play on using Sony 8x and 16x. I will also get some Verbatims. I use to use Verbatims but was told years ago they were not good. Maybe they have changed since then or I was getting just bads one because of where they were being made.

Or it's also possible your burner's firmware needed to be updated. Verbatim, on average, tends to be better than Sony. I refuse to use Sony (the only Sonys that were consistently excellent were made at one point by Taiyo Yuden in Japan), and I'm considering switching entirely to Taiyo Yuden since Verbatim is now outsourcing to Ritek in certain areas (but not in the U.S., so far, so that shouldn't be a concern for you). I'm getting a little tired of playing guessing games with Verbatim.

Verbatims made in Taiwan (MIT) can be made by Prodisc, CMC, or Ritek (only in some areas) now.
Verbatim made in India (MII) is made by Moser Baer. I can't say I'm a big fan of MII Verbatims.

All of this media is supposed to be made to Verbatim's high standards, but as far as I'm concerned the Moser Baer and Ritek made Verbatims fall short.

Verbatim made in Japan (MIJ) is made by Taiyo Yuden.
Verbatim made in Singapore (MIS) is made by Mitsubishi Chemical; Verbatim is a subsidiary of Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation. So if something sold under Verbatim's label is made in Singapore then that's "real" Verbatim blank media.

MIS and MIJ Verbatims are excellent. MIT Verbatims are usually pretty good (with an occasional exception here and there), but I draw the line at those made by Ritek. And I usually avoid MII.

The best +R DL blank media is Verbatim (made in Singapore, not India).

Last edited:
Lots of info, thanks.

I do have the lastest firmware for my drive. It's a little old maybe 2 years but it is the latest official firmware from Sony.

I do have some questions about Verbatim. Newegg has Verbatim and Verbatim Dataplus Life. Both made in Taiwan. Is there really a big difference? I read that the regular ones are just as good, some say Dataplus Life have quality issues not sure if that's true as some people don't know their own hardware or what media that their hardware can take. Too many people think they can just use whatever blank media. If your drive don't support it then duh, chances are it won't work properly.

I keep reading that 8x can be a little better than 16x. Again, any truth to that or is that mainly people not knowning what their drive speed can burn at? My Sony can burn to 16x. My drive did say I should use Verbatims from the Mitsubishi Chemcial Co. But since I can only find the one's in Taiwan, I'll have to use those. Not alot of sites display where the discs are made.

I believe I saw one poster say that the media code for the regular Verbatims were MCC 004. Not sure if that is good or bad. Haven't learn what the media code is for yet.

Last edited:
Newegg has Verbatim and Verbatim Dataplus Life.

The Datalife Plus series is actually considered to be Verbatim's higher quality line. But if your drive's firmware doesn't support the media code, then you could have problems (that goes pretty much for any blank media you buy).

I keep reading that 8x can be a little better than 16x.

Yeah, actually, people are misled to believe that 16x rated media is superior, when the fact is 16x Taiyo Yudens actually suffered from more bonding defects (the layers of the discs could be easily pried apart) than the 8x line.

It kind of depends on the brand and who made the disc.

Again, any truth to that or is that mainly people not knowning what their drive speed can burn at? My Sony can burn to 16x.

I do not recommend burning at 16x or higher. You run the risk of creating poor quality burns (when you test using pi/po and jitter scans).

If you click http://cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=22987&PageId=5 you'll see that burning faster is actually detrimental in a lot of cases.

Don't burn slower than 4x on 16x rated blank media. And with 16x rated blank media, I recommend burning at 12x or 8x.

I believe I saw one poster say that the media code for the regular Verbatims were MCC 004. Not sure if that is good or bad. Haven't learn what the media code is for yet.

MCC stands for Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation. MCC 004 is generally to be considered very good stuff. But if it's made in Taiwan, it's probably made by CMC and not Mitsubishi Chemical's plant in Singapore, unfortunately. And MIS stuff is very hard to find (don't think it's even being made).

Verbatim does stand behind the stuff they sell. I once received bad blanks from Verbatim. I sent them back, and they sent me new ones and gave me a few extras for my time.

Last edited:
Man your good at your stuff. I appreciate all your help and info.

I did find some info out on my dvds. I downloaded DVD Identifier. This program is sweet. Lots of info about your disc. I found out that the Sony media I buy that is rated a 8x is made in Japan and is manufacturer by Taiyo Yuden and media code is T02. These are getting hard to find as the store I work in are discontinuing them. They do have like a couple of the 8x rated 50 packs made in Japan left. I think I will pick them up tomorrow.

I also found out the the other Sony media I buy rated at 16x(Mainly cause I thought that 16x were better but was wrong. I am learning.) that were made in Taiwan were actually made by the Sony Corp. and the media code was D21.

I just got some old Sony discs rated at 4x(just cause they were like $2 and it gave me a case lol). It is made in Taiwan manufactured by Ricoh Co. Ltd. and media code is R01.

I did find some info out on my dvds. I downloaded DVD Identifier. This program is sweet. Lots of info about your disc. I found out that the Sony media I buy that is rated a 8x is made in Japan and is manufacturer by Taiyo Yuden and media code is T02.

Yeah, well, that's great stuff. I would continue using it. Those are Taiyo Yudens sold under Sony's label.

that were made in Taiwan were actually made by the Sony Corp. and the media code was D21.

Yeah, the D21s I would avoid. They aren't horrible, but they're not as consistent as the Taiyo Yudens you have been using. D21s are, however, better than regular Memorex and regular Maxell.

Last edited:
Is it ok to burn a 4x rated disc to 8x speed or would that show signs of pixelation or just not burn to the disc? I will probably just try it and then test the movie but am just curious if there would be any real problems or not.

Also, I noticed that DVD Identifier never shows a book type just the disc type. Do I need to set/adjust the booktype somewhere? I have never changed it in any hardware or software.

Last edited:
Is it ok to burn a 4x rated disc to 8x speed or would that show signs of pixelation or just not burn to the disc? I will probably just try it and then test the movie but am just curious if there would be any real problems or not.

You would be better off testing, as you stated. I haven't tried overspeeding 4x rated blank media, actually, so I don't have an answer for you. And in general, it really depends on the burner being used (and the blank media).

I have burned Verbatim 8x and Taiyo Yuden 8x blank media at 12x without any issues. But again, the capacity to do that well depends on the burner/burner's firmware.

Last edited:
Quick Question, "What's your opinion on Maxell Pro-X Takumix"?, I can, local to where I live pick up a special deal of a spindle of 100 reasonable cheaply...

I value your comments before buying..;)

Quick Question, "What's your opinion on Maxell Pro-X Takumix"?, I can, local to where I live pick up a special deal of a spindle of 100 reasonable cheaply...

I value your comments before buying..;)

The Pro-X stuff is typically made by Ritek (F16 is the 16x dvd+r), so I avoid them. In particular, the Maxell Pro-X Takumix +R DLs are RitekD01s, which should be avoided. I mostly spend time with +R DL blank media.

Back