• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Drives without problems ?

Cela

Hi experts,

There is a Sticky 'Drives with problems'.
I miss an _up-to-date sticky_ about 'Drives without problems'.

What BD writers do the experts use? What BD writer should the simple user use to save himself trouble?

Of course, the BD writers should also read well all commercial BDs (especially no "Drive empty" issue!).
The BD writer should also write well moderate priced BD-25 discs (e.g. RITEK BR2).
In addition to BD features the drive should write properly (Verbatim) DVD+DL discs (e.g. without needing an hour rest after each burn).

What is the 'BD writer Expert's choice'? Which BD writer would experts buy if they needed to replace their current BD writer right now? What BD writer should I buy to avoid trouble?

Regards,
Cela

You shouldn't have any trouble with any of the current models of Blu-ray writers that are available, so just pick one you feel like getting

Thanks for your encouraging reply.
But, I currently use a Plextor PX-LB950SA. It generally works well except 2 nagging flaws:
1. With (only with) BDs from Deutsche Grammophon I often get a "Drive Empty" issue. I insert the BD and after some 30 seconds of activity it stops: "Drive Empty".
I found an exciting workaround (inspired by the workaround for the 2nd flaw). Shutdown the computer, wait an hour. Unplug my 5 external USB harddisks. Then reboot. Wait some 10 to 20 minutes until Vista 32-bit has completed the startup and I cannot hear any harddisk actions. Finally, as first user action with the freshly started computer, I try to load the formerly ignored BD. Now I have a 90+% chance that it will load correctly. If not, I repaet the whole procedure until the BD gets loaded.

2. It does not like to write more than 1 DVD+R DL (Verbatim) in a row. It works 100% ok if I let it cool down for an hour after a DL burn. In this case, no system shutdown is necessary, cool down is sufficient for success.

Now, I would like to buy a BD writer without these nagging 'features'.
And, I do not want to take any more risks to buy another one with unwanted features. I would prefer a specific one which is proven by you experts, that it works for you without any troubles and you would choose it again.

standalone BD player: panasonic, avoid sony at all cost
PC drive: LG

I'd have to agree on The LG drives, but if you're having heating issues with your current drive I'd just suspect either a faulty drive or poor airflow around the drive. I've seen this before where a drive has problems burning more than 1 disc due to there being either to much other stuff like drives jammed round it or no sides on the case so that cool air doesn't get drawn across it.
I'd also take a serious look at the rest of your system if it takes 10 - 20 minutes for it to settle down properly as it really shouldn't take that long

I assume you've updated the drive to the 1.06 firmware

Last edited:
Yes, last week updated to the 1.06 firmware, though the 1.03 firmware has same date. I wondered why there are two firmwares with same, old date and different numbers and no explanation. What is the difference?

Back