• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Drive not recognizing blank media

troy512

Hello,

I am using AnyDVD to decrypt disc and CloneDVD2 to transcode and write. I use Verbatim DVD-R 16x blanks. AnyDVD decrypts the disc, CloneDVD2 will transcode the movie, and CloneDVD2 ask for blank media. Sometimes it will write, but more times I get a write error.

Windows 7 64bit
HP DVD-RAM GH80N RF03
MCC 03RG20

Attachments

• clonedvderror.png
    clonedvderror.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 17
  • clonedvderror.zip
    17.6 KB · Views: 1
  • AnyDVD_7.0.8.0_Info_D_EMPTY_DRIVE.zip
    14.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
WRITE error is hardware

Sorry, nothing can or will be done in CloneDVD for this. We are simply reporting what the firmware/drive report when you insert the blank. The drive says "heh?", tells windows and it sends a standard "no disc" response, which we just transform into a message.

Please note that this is the writer/burner returning this status, not CloneDVD and means the burner reported a burning error to Windows.
Windows then passes that back to CloneDVD, which posts that message you see.
This status is caused by a bad/invalid blank status, a burner failure or some other software element is interfering with the writing process.

Programs like DirectCD, Roxio Audio Studio, Nero InCD/BackItUp, MyCD, PlexTools, B's Clip, RecordNow, Simple Backup and some other special burner software are known to occasionally disturb other writing programs.

ZoneAlarm and certain anti-virus products (like Kaspersky) are known to interfere with the burning process as well. Stop them and try a burn to check for this condition.

If you do not have these conflicts then the most likely cause for the WRITE error is the burner, cheap blanks or too high a writing speed.
Go to the Internet site for your PC/Laptop or burner and look for a firmware update. This *can* fix such problems.
On the Output Method panel at the upper right, set the Preferred speed to 4x and try that. It is rare today to burn at a "rated" speed.

Regarding the blanks we'd like to suggest that you only use those brands that are recommended by the writer's manufacturer.

@rank
In this case most of the "generic answer" part doesn't really fit.

Sometimes CloneDVD2 says the drive is empty or unrecognized media or similar message. Sometimes it starts to write and gives a write error. When I tried to reproduce the results to post the logs it was the write error.

ImgBurn and CD-DVD Speed have no problem recognizing the discs and never a write error. They recognize the disc as soon as AnyDVD reads the disc and gives the message "Unknown disc type (empty?), AnyDVD turned off!". However CloneDVD2 will keep spinning the drive for up to a minute and popup an error.

I do not have (nor ever had) any of the previously listed backup software, antivirus, or firewall programs installed. - AnyDVD, CloneDVD2, CD-DVD Speed, and ImgBurn. Microsoft Security Essentials, and Windows Firewall.

I use Verbatim DVD-R 16x MCC 03RG20. I have used these disc for several years. Prior to Verbatim I only used Taiyo Yuden TYG02 and TYGO3 from SuperMediaStore.com

I know, the burner sucks, all my good drives are IDE. Computer crashed and had to get a new one which came with a SATA drive and this is the drive it came with. Eventually I will get a good SATA drive or an IDE to SATA adapter. Really wish my 2 BenQ and Plextor drives still worked.

The firmware is the most recent available, and I've tried to reinstall the firmware, but it says the firmware is the most recent and will not reinstall. The firmware supports write speeds on these disc of 6x, 8x and 16x. I cant find a flash utitlity or EEPROM or MCSE or any patched firmware, or anything to tweak the drive. My favorite thing about Lite-On and BenQ drives, you can crossflash, swap mediacodes, overspeed, hypertuning, and not to mention CD-DVD Speed disc quality scanning.

Thank you very much Frank for taking your time to respond. Any other ideas? Please, this is very irritating.

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : DVD-R
Write speeds: : 6 X - 8 X - 16 X
Blank Capacity : 4.38 GB
: 4489 MB
: 4707321856 bytes
Extended Information
Layers : n/a
Usage : General
Copyright protection : n/a
Recorder information
Disc Status : Empty

hp DVD-RAM GH80N RF03 (SATA)
Current Profile: DVD-R

Disc Information:
State of Last Session: Empty
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 2,297,888
Free Space: 4,706,074,624 bytes
Free Time: 510:40:38 (MM:SS:FF)
Next Writable Address: 0
MID: MCC 03RG20
Supported Write Speeds: 6x, 8x, 16x

Pre-recorded Information:
Manufacturer ID: MCC 03RG20

===============================================
Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.5.7.0
===============================================

Upper Device Filter: [None Found]
Upper Class Filter: [None Found]
Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device
Lower Class Filter: AnyDVD
Lower Device Filter: [None Found]

Filter Name: AnyDVD
File Name: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\AnyDVD.sys
File Version: 7.0.7.2
File Description: AnyDVD Filter Driver
Product Name: AnyDVD
Product Version: 7.0.7.2
Company Name: SlySoft, Inc.
Copyright: Copyright 2002 - 2012 SlySoft, Inc.

Attachments

• readtest.jpg
    readtest.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 5
  • burntest.jpg
    burntest.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 5
Ok, tried again. This time it was successful and I timed the reading of the blank disc at 50 secs. It sits at the "Please insert recordable media" dialog box for an extended period of time. Sometimes it errors during read, sometimes it tries to write then errors.

I've had this computer for just over a month. Have been using AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 since day one. The error started happening a few days ago.

Attachments

• insertmedia.jpg
    insertmedia.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 7
Sorry, but

@rank
In this case most of the "generic answer" part doesn't really fit.

.. I'm afraid it does. The messages point to hardware recognition errors contrary to your assumption and with a legacy product like CloneDVD I can't believe that suddenly there is a problem like this. In oder to WRITE CloneDVD has to get "disc in" return from the drive. The fact this is intermittent tells us it can't be CloneDVD. A program this old does not just "break"

The error message showing the burner is waiting to "see" a blank is not related to AnyDVD or CloneDVD. The DVD writer cannot identify or work with the blank you inserted so CloneDVD cannot start writing.
Nothing can happen until the burner tells Windows, which in turn tells CloneDVD, "blank is ready".
Since no two blanks are alike (nearly all brands these days resell random third-party products from East-Asian mass outlets).
This "ready" issue can vary between brands and even lot charges within the same brand.
It sometimes helps to just wait (and NOT click away the warning message) or to reinsert the blank several times until it's being accepted by the writer sort of like hitting a mule with a stick to get its attention.

Again Frank, thank you for taking your time to reply.

As much as I do believe this drive sucks and there is variance in disc manufacturing quality; it is hard for me to simply dismiss the error to crappy media and outdated firmware/drive error.

As I've posted earlier, other programs recognize the media instantly.

For now I will use CloneDVD2 to transcode, and save the image. Then use ImgBurn to write. Not perfect but works.

I don't think it is necessarily a problem with CloneDVD2, because I never had a problem on my other computer which had better optical drives. I've had many successful writes with no errors in the past. CloneDVD2 is a very simple to use program which does what it is supposed to do.

When I get a new burner I'll let you know the results.

If there is anything else you might think could be a problem, please let me know. I'm all out of ideas, it's down to crappy drive or some kind of communication error between drive and CloneDVD2.

Thank you again.

it is as it is: environment

We well know how this looks at face-value but
- with a legacy product like CloneDVD2, not changed in over 1 year,
- running well on many, many thousands of PCs
- including a second machine in your huse

it is difficult to see where we can do a thing about this. CloneDVD uses 100% standard I/O calls to Windows over its command/response interface to your burner.

And something is obviously interfering. Also, in such a old-iron product like CloneDVD it is extremely unlikely it would work, then not work. HW behaves that way.
CloneDVD will wait til Christmas until the HW say "disc ready". Sorry.

Last edited:
Run a laser cleaning disk in your drive, a wet variety if available, just to be sure there is no debris on the laser lens.

that's about the worst you could do 95% of all such "cleaning" discs are crap and can actually scratch the laster. A little tube of compressed air should do just fine for cleaning, and for the record i've got several drives 3y+ and never used any "cleaning disc" or compressed air with them and they all run as smooth as if they were brand new

LOL! Do they put wire brushes in them in Belgium? I've never heard of such a thing!

Last time i checked i didn't say anything about wire brushes, it doesnt matter what material the "brushes" are made of on such cleaning discs, ANY type of brush has the potential to scratch the laser. Using such "cleaning" discs is generally a bad idea

I've bought a few "half-dead" Plextor 740A drives. Opened them up clean and grease the slide rails, and wheels; and clean the lens with optical lens cleaner and a small silk cloth. Then crossflash to BenQ 1640 and enjoy the best drive ever made. Eventually they die again but produce some of the most beautiful quality scans!

that's about the worst you could do 95% of all such "cleaning" discs are crap and can actually scratch the laster. A little tube of compressed air should do just fine for cleaning, and for the record i've got several drives 3y+ and never used any "cleaning disc" or compressed air with them and they all run as smooth as if they were brand new

I still have a working Lite-On 1693S manufactured September 2005.

and the result is ....?

That affects me about as much as a bag of rice falling over in china affecting my life. You apparently do not want to understand this and what the "empty" log from AnyDVD has to do with standard windows r/w commands is lost on me.
AnyDVD turns a blind eye to a blank.

James will not be turning one wheel in CloneDVD for blank recognition.
The fact that this works then not again verifies environmental, physical factors and not software.

Sorry, my bad, of course not the AnyDVD.log, but the sysinfo.txt (which has 2 views now :clap:).

I don't question your interpretation of the underlying problem, just surprised about
the generic answer which is vaguely similar to the falling rice bags.

But hey, i better stop here before you once again jump at conclusions about me criticising CloneDVD - cause i don't.
I don't want my posts to vanish again without a reason.

Np

We're on the same page more or less. That's more important 8)

Ok, this sucks.

Ive had several successful CloneDVD2 to ISO, then write ISO using ImgBurn.

Then yesterday I was writing to CD and ImgBurn had many errors. Tossed 5 CD's before it was successful.

Now Im getting errors when trying to write DVD's.

Yep, a new drive is in the near future.

That affects me about as much as a bag of rice falling over in china affecting my life.

That is actually more relevant today than it was when the phrase "whats that have to do with the price of tea in china?" was common. :bowdown:

Back